Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made by Rock-slide Engineering, and bought from 4WheelSupply. For comparison:

1) 1/4" ring (PSC is 3/4" I think)
2) 3/16" center strip (PSC is 1/4" I think)
3) $80 vs. $125 (PSC)
4) Although it is currently on the rear, I am pretty certain this will fit the front without interfering with other components (unlike the PSC).

Not as tough as the PSC and the fab quality isn't as smooth, but I'll be the test monkey and see if it works. You can also see that it has been tack-welded to the cover. Makes it easier to re-install/re-seal IMO, and I can easily grind it off if I want to separate the two pieces.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good idea doing the tack welds. I had problems getting everything lined up and resealing the diff. My Rock Rings were hitting in front on the ring itself. If the ring is only 1/4" that should work. I ended up putting a Warn up front.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the tack-welds came out frustration of trying to line up the guard, cover, and holes on the housing while trying to not screw up my bead of gasket sealant. this isn't easy with the space between the housing and the gas tank.

finally i said screw it, had it welded and came up with another idea to make it all even easier. i took the cover and applied a thin layer of gasket sealant to it (smeared it all around, nice and even). then i layed a regular differential gasket over it and let it dry (essentially glued it down). so now i have three parts stuck together.

so far, no leaks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Geez you got lucky you didnt warp the diff cover with the heat from the tack weld !!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts