Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a gazillion pics to wade through and more being mailed to me by my trail partners. Here are a few random choice ones (I'm a very bad photographer).
Moab, top temperature was 123. Average temp was 115
  • Trails Run:
    Klondike Bluffs - Hiked to the Top
    Hell's Revenge (No pics this trip, having too much fun)
    Fins N Things
    Poison Spider Mesa
    Golden Spike
    Gold Bar Rim (No pics, the heat finally wore me out)
Fins: Joe Dillard in front ("Joe Dillard" on Jeeps Unlimited) followed by Dennis from http://www.MrRubicon.com, followed by me (out of sight)

Poison Spider Mesa: Joe pulling up to ledge

Poison Spider Mesa: Me on the Wedgie, Dennis spotting me through

Golden Spike: Me coming off of the Launch Pad (waaaaaay steeper than it looks)

Golden Spike: Me, crawling down a ledge

Golden Spike: Dennis, same ledge only HIS wheels are turned correctly

Golden Spike: Joe on a random drop-off

Like you have to ask....

Ouray, Colorado
  • Trails Run:
    Engineer Pass
    Cinnamon Pass
    California Gulch
    Corkscrew Gulch
    Black Bear Pass
    Imogene Pass
    Yankee Boy Basin
Ouray, Colorado: Words, nor pictures, can fully tell the story. Beautiful beyond description
Engineer Pass

Ouray. California Pass. My buddy on an outcropping, trail network down below

Ouray. California Pass. Looking down on Lake Como

Ouray. The legendary Black Bear Pass. I was the first to run it beginning to end this year. It had just been opened late the previous evening. I was up with the chickens to poach the first run

Ouray. Black Bear Pass. A very popular Colorado offroading pic. It is perched on a very narrow, steep shelf road with jagged rocks to the right, a drop off to the left, right before you enter Black Bear's notorious switch backs. Some spots have less than 12 inches of room to spare, keeps you pinned to the rocks on the right. Strap on your seat belt, you are now entering your final descent into Telluride, Colorado

A fun trip for sure. We also stopped at Mesa Verde National park to see the Anasazi Indian cliff dwellings and did a little hiking here and there too. I chilled one day in Durango by sitting in an inner tube on the river and reading a book while my buddy did some rock climbing and rapelling on X-rock (well known climbing spot).

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
welcome back Mike
Awsome pics..

:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Black Bear Pass. A very popular Colorado offroading pic. It is perched on a very narrow, steep shelf road with jagged rocks to the right, a drop off to the left, right before you enter Black Bear's notorious switch backs. Some spots have less than 12 inches of room to spare, keeps you pinned to the rocks on the right. Strap on your seat belt, you are now entering your final descent into Telluride, Colorado
Mike, welcome back. Looks like you had a great time. Tell us the whole sotry - any bumps or bruises on the Rubi?

If you want a thrill, go down the Black Bear in a full size Ford F-250. The stairsteps are real exciting in that thing, and the 2nd switchback is a 7 point turn. My buddy and I do it every other year. He did it once solo, now he swears he'll only do it if I spot for him. On alternate years I drive a rental Jeep and he sits and enjoys the view. :D

Jerry

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jerry,

*Performance: the rubi performed like a champ. the fellas i wheeled with were each running 35's and were locked front and rear (not sure about their jeeps' gearing). both were flat out better offroad drivers than me too but me and the golden goose (my rubi) kept up with no problems at all. on more than one occassion joe said, "you made that look too easy!" the rubi's gears, lockers and tires made for a slip-free ride all throughout golden spike. the other drivers' tires were making the famous moab squawking noise frequently.

*Problems: no bumps or bruises (other than some bumper and undercarriage rash). the only problems i had were dragging my gas tank skid and rear bumper a lot, but i dont think even 3 more inches of lift would have completely helped. also, my skid row engine skid bolts kept working themselves loose too - mostly at the motor mount. threadlock should cure that. lastly, my damn t-case shifter linkage popped out once and kept loosening. i need a solution, because it is a royal PITA.

*Black Bear: full size pickup? ha ha, i think not. you'll never catch me on it driving anything other than a jeep or a mountain bike. i was able to make MOST of the switchbacks with only a 3 point turn, but even in an automatic, that split second where you take your foot off the brake and hit the gas in reverse is nerve-racking. BB is a nice leisurely drive until you hit this spot, then you heart jumps into your throat.

for those who've never been on it, here is another pic looking up at the scarey part. its a bad pic because the rocky edge of the trail visually blends in with rocky hill next to it. but you can kind of make out that their is a ledge on the driver's left hand side. plus you can see that there are rocks begging to scrape up your passenger side and there is only about 12" of room at certain points.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Mike, glad to hear the Rubi performed so well. Rubicon name or not, I really think the Jeep engineers designed it to tackle the tough stuff in Moab. But that's just MHO.

Here's a pic of Mark's truck a few feet past where you shot the pic in the post above:

And here he is taking a nonalcoholic break before tackling the switchbacks:

That truck has run every trail in the San Juans, including Poughkeepsie (down, not up, he's got open diffs.) It has a 4 speed with a crawl ratio better than any Jeep except a Rubi, and one of those hulking 400+ ci Ford truck engines. It gets lousy gas mielage, but it has torque up the yingyang.

Jerry

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jerry,

i checked out the site where those pics are hosted. i like view from the driver's seat!

i found this pic to fully illustrate the tightness of the switchbacks. this is shot from imogene pass, looking back at black bear.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Oh man i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
jelous...
Im thinking..maby my next duty station should be in the colorado area
Pete M....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Damn..Those are some sweet Pix....That is some tight turning...EKKKK :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts