Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you where to order your rubicon over again what would you do different? This isn't my first TJ but am always open for new ideas. Here is what I am ordering and why....

-'04 Rubicon ( duh! , I am buying a rubicon so I can build something that will handle 99% of the trails that I run and still be streetable, not just street legal. I don't want to have to purchase a new jeep only to be forced to change out all of the drivetrain. My main goal is to build something that can be driven a 1000 miles to the trail, wheeled, air up, and driven home. )

-Automatic ( my last TJ was an auto, it was almost perfect and all it needed was an overdrive for the interstate. Personally, I like a well tuned automatic. My other jeep is a granny grinder and I love it too, now that i think about it all my other vehicles are standards :roll: , but I really enjoyed my last TJ with the auto, so I am going that way on this one too )

-A/C ( The only real use for this I have found is on the interstate. Most of the time if its warm enough out I just put the top down, but driving at 75-80 with the the top out for hours and hours isn't fun, at least for me. Its nice to have the top up and the a/c on sometimes. Yeah...I'm a wimp )

-CD player and 7-speaker ( I had this in my last TJ ( 5 speaker though ) and loved it. I know its not the end all be all of stereos, but it seems good enough for my screaming death adult alternative. The main reason is that I often leave the top down and I don't really want to worry about the stereo. Its just nice enough to not be noticed. I haven't heard of too many people getting there stock CD players stolen....at least where I live )

-Cruise ( I just about have to have it anymore. Plus, you can get that really neat winch and throttle controller now too! It is listed on the jeep website as what looks like a $300 leather steering wheel, but I am guessing its the entire package.

-Block Heater ( Its nice in the winter in the northwest, and for $35 bucks I figure what the hell )

-Sentry Key ( This is one that I don't know about. I didn't get it in my last TJ, but sometimes it might be worth the peice of mind. I am guessing that it makes it much harder to steal a jeep? Anyone know for sure?

-Locking fuel filler cap ( yeah, I worry about that too, and its only $15 bucks )

-LIME GREEN ( I like different colors, if they still made Citron Green I would get that! Its just about being different. From what I can gather it also doesn't have any metal flake in it either. This should allow me to buff out the pinstipes for a little longer. In the end, I shouldn't have to hear someone say " which lime green Rubicon " very much!!!!! )

-Soft top, half doors ( This is a personal thing. I just don't like jeeps with hardtops. They are about 100-200 lbs heavier than softtops, and its all high over the back of the jeep where I don't want it. I had great luck with my sailcloth top on my last TJ )

-Cloth seats ( I haven't got to sit in the vinyls yet. The cleanup factor of the vinyl would be nice, but I like comfy seats. Opinions? )

I'm open for any opinions on anything....its not set in stone just yet. The Limes aren't going to be built till november anyways :(

G

·
0 Posts
LimeRubi said:
-Soft top...are about 100-200 lbs heavier than softtops
140 lbs + doors. It's on the owner's video. Didn't know that I could lift that much by myself, but I did it!!!

Interesting color, BTW!!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I wouldn't order black again. Yes, a friend told me right before I headed to the dealership...."whatever you do, don't get black" :D

It looks good clean though...

Congrats on the Rubicon move! You won't have regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Auto - yes, I like it, have it. **
A/C - Your logic works for me, I like it, have it. **
CD 7 Speakers - Yeah there is better stuff out there, but works for me, have it. **
Cruise - Like it, have it, and as you say the winch goodie. **
Block Heater - No, aftermarket recirculating with a pump $30 easy install.
Sentry Key - worth the extra security to me, got it.
Locking Fuel Cap - No thanks
Lime Green - non functional option, some look at ez colors to duplicate as better.
Soft Top - functional, but for resale Hard Top ** is better, Dual Top option for me.
Half Doors - I like, don't have, will get Bestop Super Doors.
Cloth Seats - got 'em, like 'em, added waterproof covers.

** Increases resale value

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have a fully loaded 5 speed so I wouldn't change anything. There are pro's and con's for everyone but vehicles are my life and I always get them loaded. :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Cann't argue with anyones choices but I would recommend a factory order over buying one off the lot just because you will get exactly what you want with a factory order.....I just had the idea to settling for something this expensive that is not exactly the way I want it. I know when I first started looking at Rubicons only about half had the temp/compass mirror and only about 25% had cruise.....With my factory order I was able to get my Rubicon exactly as I wanted it. Given the high cost of the base vehicle there is really not much dollar wise in options you can get but they will really make a big difference in how much you enjoy living with your new Jeep.

G

·
0 Posts
I would have gotten the electronic compass mirror instead of adding it later. Works great for a quck reference when cruising, when heading back from the trails in unfamiliar territory. The "Which way did he go doc" syndrome.

Ron

·
Registered
750 Posts
My Rubi....

The options list looks good. I prefer the light khaki color, as it is the same color as dirt... so it doesn't look bad when I'm too lazy to wash it... or if I want to show off the mud from the last trail trip. :p

The 4 speed auto is great, I've got it on mine. I don't have the sentry key system, but I've been thinking about it. Living in California you can't be too careful. Out here in the central valley it isn't too bad, but if you're in an urban area, definitely get the sentry key system.

The seven speaker stereo is good enough... but if you're an audiofile you probably should save your money and upgrade the sub / speakers / amp yourself. All '04 Wranglers come with the CD player stock now. Also, the center console is smaller with the factory sub... but we survive.

The compass / termometer rear view mirror is handy.

Mine had the dual top package... if I had to do it again, I'd get just the hard top, and then get a Best Top windjammer / bikini / tonneau cover setup, or maybe the Mopar one.... the Best Top one is available with a folding bikini, though.

The A/C system is quite good, with the top down, windows on the hard doors rolled up, at 70 MPH the A/C will keep me cool up to about 95-100 degrees.... fuel economy takes a hit, though.

I haven't had the interior muddy enough to cause difficulty with the cloth seats, they seem to clean up ok. But, I did use my air compressor with the blow gun to get the dust out of my seats... they look much darker afterwards. Really dusty here (farm country).

G

·
0 Posts
IMHO, I would do without the 7-speaker system. Having it converts a cavernous center console into a small CD holder. I keep binoculars, walkie-talkies, gloves, multi-tool, 2 GPSs, spare batteries and various charge cords in there.

Dan

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i would get one from AEV
with the 110'' stretch version and Hemi ...5spd auto

everything else you have is fine...i did not get the block heater.
im kinda liking that green...its way diff. but heat demands i stay
with white.
enjoy...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mac that will be 45000 for the Hemi :D may be worth it

·
Registered
499 Posts
If I had to do again, I'ld pass on the 7-Speaker too. Same reason, console is about useless. I'm seriously thinking of pulling the subwoofer and ordering the other insert. Other than that I swore I'ld never own another vehicle without at least air and cruise.

I got hard doors this time, and am very glad I did. The drive through thing with the half doors is such a pain, especially in the winter. Was more fun with the top off, but I can always just take the doors off completely.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You're doing fine

It looks perfect. I ordered everything and threw out what I didn't need (console sub woofer). I have bright Silver and I'd get the green if I were to do it again. However, it's been nine months and I haven't washed it yet and it still looks like the day after I brought it home. Have fun and Good Jeepin.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Like Ned said stay away from black, looks good until you have to clean the mud off. Go with the Lime it looks like a sweet color.

Adam

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine is loaded just like everyone elses but, I would have ordered a winch with mine... Its just easier to make payments than to come up with the cash!!!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
NoLight said:
Mine is loaded just like everyone elses but, I would have ordered a winch with mine... Its just easier to make payments than to come up with the cash!!!
i agree....im still wenchless in Vegas have to buy a diamond thingy
for Mrs Mac.....

EDIT!
opppppppppppssssss i ment winchless.
:wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is exactly what I wanted. I was searching for a Patriot Blue, slate interior, black tinted soft top, 5 spd, with a/c. Every dealer that I spoke to kept giving me the same story... I don't have it, you'll never find it, and DC isn't making them anymore. But, through persistence I kept checking the local inventories and found one fairly close. I then had the negotiation chore :roll: , and had to wait for it to return from a photo shoot before finally taking delivery. Man is it Sweet!!! :D

G

·
0 Posts
LimeRubi,
I agree with all of your choices; except, roll up windows were a must for me. I've had both and I hate the plastic windows. Also, I really like having the dual top. The hardtop wasn't a must for me; but, now that I just installed it, for the winter, I'm glad I got it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine's loaded - only thing I'd do again is drop the subwoofer option (console reason). Mine was off the lot with the add-a-trunk too. I wouldn't have ordered it but since I need a place to stash a company computer it keeps it out of site, though not really secure.

Compass/therm is nice but I appreciate the rear view mirror for the the auto dimming feature - great if you drive around the dawn/dusk times of day.

I wish you could order a 15" rim option. Would make selling the 31s easier after you put on bigger rubber.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replys everyone...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts