Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Ideas for improving LJ departure angle

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  bob1340 
#1 ·
Right now I have my LJ where it is just about perfect for what I want it for. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the departure angle, or more to the point the fact that I'm always dragging my ass stepping down off ledges. I don't want to go any higher or even go up in tire size, so although I would go that way if I have to I'd rather hear some other suggestions please.

I've been reading about a few Wranglers starting to go to boatside rockers and was wondering if anyone had ever seen something like a boatside rear. I'm thinking something that would let my LJ slide off ledges rather that the hard slamming down that I get now. I currently have a Kilby gas tank which gained about 1" over stock and a steel bumper which probably didn't net me any clearance gain over stock.

Aside from the boatside idea am looking for anything that would help me get a little more clearance back there - different tank, bumper, etc. Would even consider some body work as long as I didn't lose too much of the storage space.

Thanks...

#4 ·
His rig is called the L-TJ. Its on rokmens site too.

#5 ·
What is hitting? The tank, bumper, or both? As for the tank, the Savvy gas skid will move it up higher and give you some more clearance. I hit both on my TJ coming off of ledges and it gets annoying. Interested to see what you decide to do.

#6 ·
depending on the bumper, a plate from the gas tank skid to the bumper will make the rer a bit more of a boat side. You will not hit less but will slide off things. the other option is move the axle back a bit. Even a few inches will help alot. Also think of moving the rear bumper inwards. i have seen one LJ with the bumper being a rectangular steel tube which replaced the rear crossmember, moving it inwards several inches. It really depeds how much work you want to do.

#8 ·
Without going higher (BL) and bigger on the tires (warranted by the BL)...I'd say another skid. If you're willing to go higher with a BL, you could start tucking stuff up and away. As most of the flamers on here don't prefer BL's....especially higher than 1 1/4"...I'm running a 2" BL with 3" suspension. This allowed me to cut the crossmember above my tank off and raise it 2" as I simply removed the 2" BL pucks above it. Now...this does raise the shock mounts 2" as well so you will have to compensate...either a longer shock, or roll your shocks with new WELD ON axle mounts. With this setup I do not run anything but the stock skid plate and haven't hit it since.....Oh and the BL will also allow you to flatten the belly as well.

Another option may be the Genright gastank which would allow for a slight stretch...this would move the tires back giving you a better departure angle.

Go bigger...35's :D

#11 ·
When fledge is done, you'll see an improved departure angle in a frame mod and custom bumper... But you'll have to wait.

As said above, a rear stretch will help.

If sliding on your tank skid is a problem, give it a smooth plastic underside.

#12 ·
kidmugg said:
When fledge is done, you'll see an improved departure angle in a frame mod and custom bumper... But you'll have to wait.

As said above, a rear stretch will help.

If sliding on your tank skid is a problem, give it a smooth plastic underside.

Hmmm - Frame mod and custom bumper - will be watching!!

#14 ·
On an LJ you have double cross members back there. The front cross member is basically the same as a TJ, the tank bolts to it. Your bumper and tub bolt to the rear cross member. I would suspect you could angle cut the frame rearward of the front cross member and even cut some of the bottom of the tub off at the same angle. Then instead of a traditional bumper you can plate the rear from the gas tank back at the angle and lip it up over the tub to protect things. That would help, but the gas tank still hangs down a good amount. I kind of like the bang sound my Kilby makes when it hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.