Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I don't know much about this stuff, but I recall reading a recent mag regarding the accusump on an auto tranny. As I understand it, it basically holds a bit of fluid under pressure and once a drop in pressure is detected, the reservoir (or sump) injects to keep everything running.

I haven't read much on auto problems lately, but if the rubicon auto tranny does start to show problems on angles....would this be a possible solution?

http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html

Edit: I found the mag...Feb 2003 Peterson's 4Wheel. They were actually making a "manual" out of an auto but the idea might be good (using a accusump) if our auto's don't want to work all the time. Check out page 44.

G

·
0 Posts
I just called a local Tranny Shop in my area and lied him I was looking at buying a Jeep and was comparing Manual versus Auto. I asked him if lubrication (or lack thereof) would be a problem on steep angles (with an auto) and he said, "it shouldn't be, especially on a Jeep (auto)".

My Rubi has an auto.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy,
I had an isolated tranny problem and a few others have posted about steep angles and the tranny failing. Although, I have heard nothing lately. Time will tell. I just thought I'd post this info if someone does choose to be proactive. Glad to hear you haven't had any problems!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I filled mine FULL plus a half quart, and have had no trouble on long steep hills.

G

·
0 Posts
I can only speculate but I would dare say that the auto feed tube is positioned very similarly to the oil feed tube. If we find ourselves at a steep enough angle as to have tranny slippage, our engines are probably starving of oil as well.

I think the accusump is a wonderful idea but only if it removes the excess fluid from the system once normal pressure is restored (back on level ground). If I were to install one for the tranny I think I would go ahead and install one for the engine.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay,
Taking this a step further....
The magazine installed the accusump on a TH400 (I think) transmission. Where would the sump plumb into the rubicon? I don't think it would plumb in via the cooling lines (low pressure lines).

Any tranny experts in the audience? :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
I called DC this morning and asked them what the numbers are on max climbing angle for the manual and the auto. Some dumb ass came back with "the approach angle is ..... and the departure angle is .....". I then restated my question and she said, "this is all we have". Go figure.

I went steep hill climbing and had no issues with auto tranny fluid starvation. Can't tell you the exact pitch degree but it looked and felt like 40+ deg.

On the 60 degree climbs triggering starvation you can find me and my Rubi holding the camera, watching from the sidelines, and driving around the long way smiling and waving.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I linked to this post from JU because Brian (blackrubi) experienced a problem.

I just want to update on an old e-mail from the magazine author. Their auto tranny completely grenaded after the accusump install. Although, he said they were not sure if it was because of the accusump or some other problem. They still felt like it could be a good solution....but more work is needed.

Bottom line.....install at your own risk!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, but look how effortlessly you resurrected a long-dead thread.

(I've got a manual, so I don't care. :turn-l:)

·
1,575 Posts
The only time I ever had the transmission slip on a steep climb was when I checked the fluid level at the bottom of the climb after it slipped and found it was below the proper marking on the dipstick. I filled to the proper level and the transmission did its job. I saw the tipping point of the fluid level and it had to be filled incorrectly to see it.

It works so well that it'll put you on your lid if you let it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts