Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 w/ 1200 miles just starting making a very weird intermittent noise this week. When you go to push in the clutch and your foot actually starts to meet resistance from the fluid it makes a very audible click. Then at the bottom of the clutch travel right when it bottoms out on the firewall there is another faint click (this noise I have diagnosed to be a washer of some sort behind the “clutch-in to start” safety switch. The noise that really bothers me is the first noise it makes. I have spent almost 2 hours under my dash simulating the problem and holding on to various parts of the whole linkage assembly and have narrowed it down to something inside the master cylinder of the clutch. I was hoping someone here might think of something I am forgetting or might know what's causing the noise. Also if someone doesn't mind could you check your clutch master cylinder under the hood and see if it will rotate counter clockwise (toward the master brake cylinder), mine does and I don't think it's supposed to. Sorry for the long post, but I really like to fix things my self and I really don't want to take it to the dealer. With my luck it would come back worse than it was :cry:

Cheers,
Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem. I have only had mine for 2 weeks... just took it out on a trail this weekend and the day after the clutch also started to pop. Sadly... it has stopped as oddly as it started. I also screwed with it for a while and it seemed like it was originating at the pivot point inside the cab. While it was popping I noticed it only did it when I would apply the clutch in specific manners. If you find something out let me know. I have been keeping an eye and ear on mine since it started.

G

·
0 Posts
My clutch peddle does all kind of things. The neutral safety switch clicks, the pedal rattles and the clutch has all kinds of squeeks/pops/resistance when pushed in. I am positive this is the clutch rod going into the cylinder. All these things come and go and if I go on a long drive, couple hours, it gets worse.

I drove two hours this weekend straight, pulled into a fastfood drive through and the clutch peddle was squeeking up a storm when pushing it in. Got my food, drove out into the street and it just vanished and was smooth as can be. I have also gotten it to go away by going under the hood and wiggeling the cyclinder. Too much plastic, rubber, thin firewall etc... etc.... It is alway functional though.

My 97 did the same thing and I just drove a friends 2000 and the first thing he asked was does the clutch feel right? It did the same thing.

DC must be making a bag load of money on these jeeps considering what it takes to put one together and the inflated prices they go for now.

I still love my rubi though.... :D

Sometimes I wish I had the auto but I really, really like to drive a stick. I have pretty much gotten use to it and it doesn't bother me no more.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yep mine ('03 Rubi) also has this clicking noise after an off-roading trip. And it comes and goes by itself. On my '01 TJ, I had the sticking clutch pedal feel and no freeplay (also comes and goes), so dealer replaced master and slave cylinders and finally the entire clutch assembly - problem came back within 5000 miles - I finally resigned to this as a "TJ personality" thing.

I don't worry about the clicking noise on my '03 Rubi. These clutch will keep on ticking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies fella's, hopefully one of us will get this darn noise figured out :mad: if anyone dose please post your findings here.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
639 Posts
Anybody finds anything more about this clutch noise? Does tightening of the clutch master cylinder solves this problem?

G

·
0 Posts
When I first started taking mine off road, it sounded like everything was knocking together, clicking and clacking and smacking. The dealer said, just use it, and it will all even out, and now its as smooth as smooth can be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts