Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing an over the windshield LED light bar bracket.
Butane torch wouldn't loosen the loc-tite .... and an impact driver wouldn't break it loose.

Looks like I gotta drill and try an EZ Out.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My soldering iron sucked so bad, I threw it out a few weeks ago. Forgot to get a replacement.
My manual hammer impact only stripped the Torx.....
Drilled completely through them.
Broke an ez out in 1 of the 3.
Drilled the heads off, and the threaded portion came out with the ez out almost by hand. Got one side done, will attempt the other side tomorrow or later ..... lol.

·
3,425 Posts
Good job Dwight. I had to remove some torx screws from some YJ doors (for my scrambler) and I went the route of welding nuts to the screws. That method worked great but was hard on the paint (I'll repaint the door later).

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
I couldn't remove one of those torx bolts on the inside of the windshield frame when I was installing my Rockhard cage. If you want to fold down the windshield, that's one of the bolts that need to be removed. Since I never plan on folding down my windshield, I'm in the ignore mode.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious. What were you going to replace them with? I think there’s discussion on here regarding that.
The Rough Country light bar mount came with replacement allen head bolts that are a little longer for the bracket thickness.

I'll be using some anti-seize for the final assembly. Lol. Not sure if I'll like the light bar on there....
But I loved how it performed on my nephew's LJR .. ... ... so I got one.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,994 Posts
I hate those bolts

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will be attempting the driver side soon. Seems I've found a LJ roof rack frame for cheap and will need those bolts out to install the rack to get it home .... about 2 hours away.
Wasn't really wanting a rack, but hoping I could modify it for quick release.
Good for lugging around her kayak without a trailer. ... ... and other things that might arise. Doubtful. Lol.
However, as you can see, I use a tarp and some tent poles to make a shade for the back of the Jeep when we go to the creek. Wanting to modify the rack to tie into the LED light bar .... and be able to uncouple it and flip it back to act as an awning frame as well.

Not really a project I have time to take on, but I get stuff in my head sometimes.......

·
Registered
173 Posts
In the past I have inserted my Torx screw driver into the bolt head and applied heat to the screw driver shaft. It transfers the heat to the bolt but doesn't risk damaging the paint around the bolt. Good Luck.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,994 Posts
Btw, I have the smittybilt LJ rack on my LJ and like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts