Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have noticed that my original write up on Rockcrawler.com disappeared shortly after it was written up. I sold the article I wrote to Jp Magazine and they would not let me have it posted anywhere else. I could not even let Rockcrawler use any of my pictures.

The story and instructions are back up on Rockcrawler.com, but using someone else’s photos. It also has Kilby’s diagram on the other options of wiring. I would not recommend any other way except grounding the Red/white striped wire through a switch.

So look for my article in an upcoming issue of Jp Magazine.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Thanks Griz we will keep an eye out for it. I have everything and the previous write ups I just need to get off my ass and do it. :) I wasted today tweakin this place and writing my new webpage :roll:

Justin

·
Registered
740 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Why do you only recommend grounding through a switch? If you just jump pin 1 and 4, it works fine. The lockers still can't be engaged above 10 mph. I am wondering if there is a technical reason for your recommendation or if you are just reducing the chance for error.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tj_steve said:
Why do you only recommend grounding through a switch? If you just jump pin 1 and 4, it works fine. The lockers still can't be engaged above 10 mph. I am wondering if there is a technical reason for your recommendation or if you are just reducing the chance for error.

Thanks.
As you said, just for safety reasons.

It would be a good idea to disconnect if you take it in to the dealer for any warranty work.

G

·
0 Posts
I was hesitant at first, but beginning to think that this is more than a 'convenient' mod.

Since the buggy is geared so low (even in high -- I generally start in 2nd on the street), it's often awkward to slap it into low just to get the lockers (their control, really) into the program for a mudhole or sandpit that you've run up on that you can or want to take at greater than 3mph. (You don't need the lockers, but jeez it's better insurance that you'll get thru).

G

·
0 Posts
i havent really studied the write up yet (glanced over it) and im hoping you can give me the best way to perform this modification that would allow you to lock the lockers at any speed. i dont typically mud (actually i avoid it whenever possible) but when i have to get through these swamps around here, id like the ability to lock the lockers in 4 hi and have them remain locked at any given wheel speed. wheel spin afterall, is what makes the tires work in mud.
thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts