Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on my RKLA and can't get the stupid bushing out of the factory upper drivers side mount. I've drilled nearly all the rubber out, and tapped it all around from passenger side toward driver. It hasn't budged and the sleeve sticking out a little on the passenger side is flattened now. I've also beat the heck out of the drivers side, where it sticks out, to no avail.

Tips?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Take a chisel and split the case from the driver side outter edge and split it in on itself, all the way around in as many places as you can get it, then with a BFH and a good solid swing like you've got a set, it should just fly right out of there like a rocket sled on rails.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
[quote='05TJLWBRUBY]Take a chisel and split the case from the driver side outter edge and split it in on itself, all the way around in as many places as you can get it, then with a BFH and a good solid swing like you've got a set, it should just fly right out of there like a rocket sled on rails.

Best of Luck,

Mike[/quote]

X2 and he means the biggest, baddest, hammer on the hammer scene...Just when you are to the point of frustration at how many times you have split the casing around the bushing thinking that it is not possible for the little guy to still be in the hole, call a friend, let him gently tap it once and it will shoot out towards the driver side...lol. Have fun with it, it is an accomplishment once it is finished.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright guys, I'll let you know when its done. I've had everything I can think of on it, but I'm gonna get midevil on its ass tonight. Just to be clear, you have to hammer it out from the passenger side towards the driver side right? That is what RK told me, but the lip that sticks out on the pass side is very small, and I'm pretty sure I already flattened it. Getting the right size something to fit in there and catch the sleeve is not gonna happen.

·
3,368 Posts
[quote='05TJLWBRUBY]Take a chisel and split the case from the driver side outter edge and split it in on itself, all the way around in as many places as you can get it, then with a BFH and a good solid swing like you've got a set, it should just fly right out of there like a rocket sled on rails.

Best of Luck,

Mike[/quote]

Xs3

As an alternative... I have hollowed one out of all or most all of it's rubber and took a fresh hacksaw blade and cut a slit all the way accross the metal can/outer shell. Just don't go crazy and cut too deep. And usually you don't even need a perfectly cut slit all the way across, but just a decent portion... Then take a screw driver or something flat and drive in there to bend it up. It will usually pull out then.

BTW... Whatever bushing joint you put back in there, I'd coat with antisieze.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Take a end cap for a pipe and drill a hole in it. Then run a long bolt through it and the bushing put a big washer and a nut on the back of the bushing end. Crank it down and it will press the bushing into the pipe cap. Simple press.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I don't know about 60 seconds on that ******* bushing, but the fronts all linked up. Still gotta bolt up the shocks, and do something with the steering since the draglink looks like its gonna hit the disco lower mount. Moving onto the rear tomorrow...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts