Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ on 35's and other stuff
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a drip from rear diff cover. Snugged up the seemingly loose bolts a quarter turn, and no more leak.

So, now how low is the fluid?

How to check differential level when rotated and aftermarket different cover? Thinking just filling to the hole may be not correct.

Thx
Vince.

Reactions: mac

· Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I think to know precisely, next time you change the oil, note the level after putting in the recommended amount. You can use a zip tie bent at the right spot to use for a dipstick going forward.

But I think as long as the level is up to the bottom of the axle tubes, so lube will reach the wheel bearings, you're most likely fine.

The couple times I've had leaks, I've just drained and refilled after repairing the source of the leak.

- DAA

· Sarcastic Moderator
14,606 Posts
with a bigger cover, the recommended amount is not enough since the level will be lower. Rotating also caused problems. I fill to sbout the height of the hole in the stock cover. Unless you go crazy and completely fill it, a bit more should not be an issue.

· Super Moderator
2,666 Posts
I installed a Riddler cover and had rotated the axle to comply with a new double cardan driveshaft in the rear. I had no idea what my new level should be. At first I used my little finger in the filler hole. Then I bent a paper clip to where I thought the fluid level should be. After I ran it, I thought I smelled a one time burp of diff fluid and then no more smell. I felt the diff with my hand for heat and it was fine. My dipstick level is half way up one leg of a larger paper clip.

· Premium Member
1,488 Posts
with a bigger cover, the recommended amount is not enough since the level will be lower. Rotating also caused problems. I fill to sbout the height of the hole in the stock cover. Unless you go crazy and completely fill it, a bit more should not be an issue.
A diff cover that increases capacity? Haven't seen one for a TJ 44. Would likely create clearance problems if so. Just a thicker, beefier cover sometimes requires adjustments to clear.

All the covers I've seen for our Rubis do not change capacity or fill level. They just have a higher fill hole to accommodate a rotated diff. Which, may or may not be the correct fill level. On mine, it's not. Since my diff isn't rotated up (stock driveshaft). Filling to the hole would be WAY over filling and guaranteed to puke out of the breather.

- DAA

· Super Moderator
2,666 Posts
I guess you could laser line it on the outside and bend a dipstick. I was trying to figure out how I’d know the oil hit the tubes. Luckily my hit and miss technique worked without drama.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.