Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like I am going to jump in and buy a Rubicon. The stealerships should be getting the'04s in about a month but I'll likely custom-order one to my liking. This is a great forum to ask this question because 99% of you here likely purchased brand new like I will be doing. I'd like to know if my approach makes sense.

There are roughly eight Jeep dealerships in my region. I have gone online to DM and "built" my Rubi with all the options, color, etc I want and printed the vehicle summary sheet. This sheet shows me the MSRP of the vehicle.

I plan to fax this sheet to the eight dealerships asking them each for their "best cash price" on the selected vehicle. The fax cover sheet will list all eight dealerships so that each one knows they are competing for this sale. I can't stand salesmen and this is the best way I can think of to avoid them.

My thinking is that some of the dealers will ignore this fax, but I'm hoping three of four of them will respond competetively with the knowledge they are......well......competing for the sale.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Well,
If you are willing to travel to Calgary and join the Calgary Jeep Association, one of the DC dealers here sponsor our club and will sell to club members ($50.00/yr)for $300.00 over invoice. I bought mine and it ended saving about 5 grand and got no payments for 90 days and 0% financing.
If you don't want to travel, I would go to the dealer and try to deal directly with the fleet manager and ask for $300.00 over invoice, doesn't hurt to ask...
(I actually got mine from another dealer but the same deal applies to club members.)
The sponsoring dealer (Tower Chrysler) has sold at least 5 or 6 Rubi's to club members so far this year.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are forces at play that we, the uninitiated, cannot fathom. For instance, I have heard that it is wise not to let the dealer know you have cash (or other financing) until you have arrived at the price because the dealer gets a fee for arranging financing (paid by the lender) that he may consider when establishing the price.

I found this site, http://www.carbuyingtips.com, to be extremely revealing and helpful.

I have bought two cars (VW and Jeep) by requesting quotes through the web. Manufacturers' sites will only pass your request to dealers in your area, but other sites provide the request to a wider range of dealers. In both cases, I was contacted by dealers who all offered me an appropriate car for invoice + $500. Holdbacks and everything else notwithstanding, I regard this to be a decent price AND the highest price I will pay. Allowing a dealer to put you in a car that is on his lot (and not EXACTLy what you want) is worth something so I offer something less.

However, I try to be as knowledgeable of the pricing and margins as I can so that I don't low-ball and give the impression I am an unreasonable buyer. They get crap from buyers all the time. It is refreshing for them to be able to deal with a reasonable one.

The Jeep web site, http://www.jeep.com, has information on the current rebates that is important. Know what rebates you qualify for and how much they are before you go to the dealer. When I bought mine, I knew there was a rebate for Veterans, and, just before they delivered my Rubi, it went from $500 to $1000. In fact I really got lucky because I qualified for 4 different rebates and they all happened to peak just before the dealer received my Jeep from the factory. BTW: the rebate amount you get is whatever it happens to be at the moment you take delivery.

I have bought two Wranglers from a dealer in Albuquerque, and have cosistenly had them serviced there. I found them to be reasonable or better with me in both deals. Be glad to put you in touch, if you like. Have another friend who is hoping to find a Jeep she wants there this weekend.

Good Luck. Every bit of effort I put into preparing for my purchase paid dividends in some way.

Dan

·
Registered
586 Posts
Try the online / fleet departments. I originally went to dealix.com who referred me to the dealer closest to me. I paid $500.00 over invoice on my Rubi, which I ordered with the features I wanted. I checked my pricing against Edmunds.com and it was right on.

I also got the $1000.00 cash back

Good Luck with your purchase, you won't be disapointed

:lolbonk:

Roger

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have bought two cars (VW and Jeep) by requesting quotes through the web.
I originally went to dealix.com who referred me to the dealer closest to me. I paid $500.00 over invoice on my Rubi,
These sites are great tools but I think they deal exclusively with U.S. dealers and U.S. prices. I agree that knowing the invoice price on the vehicle is helpful, I need to find a way of obtaining that price in Canadian dollars. And simply multiplying by the current exchange rate won't help because the pricing structure of new vehicles is different btw U.S. and Canada.

RubiDan, the carbuyingtips.com site is very helpful. Thank you.

Vinman, I might have to consider your offer. If I bought it in Alberta I wouldn't have to pay Manitoba's 7% provincial sales tax but they hit you for it anyway when you pay for your vehicle registration. Too bad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's what I've done when buying all my cars, This is a long one and hope it will help.

Go personally to the dealers and talk to the Sales Mgr. and tell them what your looking for. And ask them for the best price they can give and that your paying cash you can take the build sheet with numbers if you want to but it's up to you if you want to show it to them. I brought mine out and showed it to them. Then go to another dealer and do the same. Do it to as many dealers as you want. Now you have a number of prices on the Rubi ya want. At this point pick the ones that have the best price, Now you can start the numbers game and (if you want) tell the dealer who they're working against. Just before you do your paper work it'll come out that your going to finance your ride. Make 95\100% sure on your beacon score and your credit. This way you can tell them what interest rate (if you know this) your approved for. Dealers tend to get pissed about doing business this way but it's YOU that's going to be paying for this, not THEM. I can give you advice till your green in the face but there are a few things you don't want to do.

1. Don't give them your drivers Lic. # or SS#, from there they can pull some info up w\o you knowing and once you sign the line you authorized it from the beginning. 2. If they want any type of hold money do it by CC# no cash no check. 3. If there is anything cosmetic or anything you don't like about the rubi DO NOT DRIVE IT Period. Check everything out before you even put the keys in the ign. and take it out of the parking space or lot. The whole reason for not driving it off the lot is, once you leave the lot\parking space it's YOURS and if you don't it's not. I know it can be really exciting taking home that new Rubi or other vehicle but it's better tomake sure everything is right gefore you do. Most of what I said happened to me before I bought my Rubi and from that time on I've been more on the protective side of buying vehicles.

Oh Yeah, don't take every thing I said bad, there are good dealers around, but once they know I'm not dealing with their B.S. everything tends to go as planned.

Happy Hunting, and don't forget to ask them to throw some things in, i.e bra, hats, keychains etc... they should give you something.

Mo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do it to as many dealers as you want. Now you have a number of prices on the Rubi ya want. At this point pick the ones that have the best price
Isn't this in effect what I am doing by faxing my build sheet to the dealers? Saves me gas and time driving all over town. I can't imagine the cost difference between the two lowest bidders will be that much, and spending $200 in gas will negate that savings.

Just before you do your paper work it'll come out that your going to finance your ride. Make 95\100% sure on your beacon score and your credit.
I plan to avoid this altogether by paying for the vehicle outright. Just one less hassle to deal with.

Put it this way. I hate car dealerships and the salesmen who work there. I WANT a new Rubicon, and the only way I'm going to get one is to buy it from a dealership. I would like to accomplish this as easily as possible with as few trips as necessary through the dealership's doors. This is why I thought my approach made sense. Are you guys saying that I shouldn't expect to get competetive pricing doing it this way?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went to 5 different dealerships....You could tell who was hungry to sell a Jeep and who was not in about 5 minutes. I ended up getting mine for $165 over dealer cost as they very close to meeting some sales target that DC had for them to get some bonus money. I would go in person because once you are in the dealership they don't want you to leave....I did and the offers just got better.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vulcan, where do you go to find out dealer cost in Canada? MSRP means nothing to me if I don't know what the invoice cost is.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The dealership told me what the cost was......And not being born yesterday I called a friend that owns a dealership and he confirmed the cost. I was going to buy from my friend as he offered it to me a $300 over cost but he is not a 5 star dealer and he warned me that getting my order filled through him would take a long time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
grrrrrrr I don't know HTF I posted twice on this..

lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
I went to 5 different dealerships....You could tell who was hungry to sell a Jeep and who was not in about 5 minutes.

I would go in person because once you are in the dealership they don't want you to leave....I did and the offers just got better.

Just what Vulcan said. Most dealers won't bother with the fax thing cause they won't think your serious. Kind of like the ol' saying " money talks and ******** walks " Hope to see some pics of your Rubi once ya get it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help guys. I'll post pics as soon as I get it in my driveway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts