Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 Rubicon with the NV3550. I want to lift it at least 2" (OME lift), but 3" wouldn't be a bad thing. I am VERY tired of using transfer case drops and motor mount lifts and I'd like to avoid that here. So has anyone installed a 3" without any driveline vibrations on their Rubicon with the NV3550? I kow the RE 3.5" lift runs tall, there's also the Tera3T and BDS 3" kit. Yeah- I know I can also drop another couple hundred bucks for a new rear driveshaft- not interested in that right now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
3" seems to be the line where you may start getting vibes. you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned springs running tall, because a lot of manufacturers let the springs run tall to compensate for the weight added by winches, aftermarket bumpers, larger spare tires etc. so even if you want 3" you get more lift than you wanted, and therefore get the vibes too.

i played it safe with the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift. like you, i wasnt interested in swapping out drive shafts. i also didnt want to fuss with shock mount relocaters and brake lines. the OME fit my needs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I bought the Tera3T with OME N66L/N67L shocks. I'm hoping I can get away without driveshaft virbrations. I'm always going to have the hard top, back seat, and 50+ lbs of dead weight back there- so maybe that will help. I'll see how the front end levels out- I had to use Tera 1.25" spacers to level it out with an ARB bull bar and M8000 on the front end.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
If you experience driveshaft vibrations, you may be able to eliminate the vibration with a 1" Body Lift used in conjunction with a 1" Motor Mount Lift or you could purchase a set of upper rear adjustable control arms. Either of these possible solutions try to parallel the centerlines of the pinion on the transmission and differential. Just some thoughts.

Ken

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken White said:
If you experience driveshaft vibrations, you may be able to eliminate the vibration with a 1" Body Lift used in conjunction with a 1" Motor Mount Lift or you could purchase a set of upper rear adjustable control arms. Either of these possible solutions try to parallel the centerlines of the pinion on the transmission and differential. Just some thoughts.

Ken
I installed the Tera3T this last weekend, no vibrations.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I've got a set of TeraFlex 3" springs, have not installed them yet. I'm hoping that I won't get any vibes after I install them. Right now I do have a set of 1.75" coil spacers, and no vibes.

I have an automatic, so I'd like to know how high others have lifted theirs before getting vibes with an auto.

I don't plan on changing out control arms, if I do get vibes I will get a new rear driveshaft with a double cardon joint (CV).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ken White said:

Ken
Yes a MML will do the trick for eliminating mild vibes.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Griz, if you buy a CV driveshaft you will need adjustable rear UCA's to rotate the rear axle in order to make the differential pinion parallel with the drive shaft. For a good explanation of what causes the vibration problem and how it is corrected, go to Tom Woods site at:

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

You could also try the TC lowering kit if you have to, though you will loose clearance.

Have a great day!

Ken

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ken White said:
Griz, if you buy a CV driveshaft you will need adjustable rear UCA's to rotate the rear axle in order to make the differential pinion parallel with the drive shaft. For a good explanation of what causes the vibration problem and how it is corrected, go to Tom Woods site at:

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

You could also try the TC lowering kit if you have to, though you will loose clearance.

Have a great day!

Ken
A transfer Case drop..............Mine came from the factory with one... :wink:

I would just go to the Upper rear adjustables and a CV shaft. If you are going to spend the money on the shaft you might as well get the arms to.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Griz said:
I've got a set of TeraFlex 3" springs, have not installed them yet. I'm hoping that I won't get any vibes after I install them. Right now I do have a set of 1.75" coil spacers, and no vibes.

I have an automatic, so I'd like to know how high others have lifted theirs before getting vibes with an auto.

I don't plan on changing out control arms, if I do get vibes I will get a new rear driveshaft with a double cardon joint (CV).
Griz,
Tom Woods....is awsome to deal with ask for Troy or Jeff
1-877-497-4238

i had a slight vive with new shaft and they sent me a new complete shaft and spacer in record time. the customer service was SUPER!

mac

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Yep, I would most likely go with a Tom Woods shaft, and adj. control arms, if I have too. Thing for me is trying to keep it as stock as possible, but getting as much lift as I can. No x-fer case drop, as was mentioned; it came from the factory with one, lol.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Griz said:
Yep, I would most likely go with a Tom Woods shaft, and adj. control arms, if I have too. Thing for me is trying to keep it as stock as possible, but getting as much lift as I can. No x-fer case drop, as was mentioned; it came from the factory with one, lol.
On my 2K I also kept it quite stock. I did a hack and Tap CV by RE and upper rear CA's. Quick and easy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We did a 4" Skyjacker single flex lift and had very mild vibes under hard acceleration and at 120km/hr while we waited for the Tom Woods CV to arrive. Dropped the CV in with a pair of adjustable UCA and bingo, she drives like the day day off the lot but just 4" bigger with 33s. Perfect driveline. I'd suggest the CV/UCA solution, it's worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts