Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
I don't bother to carry a spare any longer but I do carry a couple of truck tire repair kits and a bottle of tire repair glue. Worse case scenario is the sidewall gets slashed but my kit has stainless steel wire to literally sew up the split. You can also drive for miles on a wrecked tire.

The other reason I don't carry a spare is 100 pounds at the back end of the Jeep will unload the front axle when doing a steep climb making it dangerous. Not such a problem with 4-doors but a significant situation for TJs. Keeping weight low like steel skids will keep the center of gravity low. If you are just running forest service trails weight distribution isn't a huge deal IMHO. One other point about no spare tire - some organizations will not let you run a trail without a spare, our club has no policy on that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah lock to lock when stuffed.
Dan, did you add some bump stop? I have added a inch but I am running air bumps.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
Put a safety wire on the shackle pin (the D thingy your winch line is connected to) or the pin could work loose. I keep my shackle pin loose enough to where I can unscrew it with my fingers but safety wired.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks. I tighten all the way, then back off 1/4 turn. I also see guys who zip tie the pin. It would be a major pain to lose it.

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
I lost a pin and I've also found shackle parts on the trail before.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts