Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2017 Rubicon with a lift (don’t know which). It has extended length stainless brake lines, but I noticed this morning while crawling around under it that the rear lines are chafing against the tires a tiny bit. It looks like I can just zip tie them to the rear sway bar, but I’m curious how others deal with this issue...

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,366 Posts
I had that issue on the front of my TJ when I went to the MC 6pak shocks.... I had to use really, really long front lines. Finally what I did was I removed the caliper and basically put a single twist in the line so that it coiled inward. Then for added protection (probably didn't need it) I covered the line with that self sealing/adhering silicone tape (called tommy tape but there are many brands). Can't say I ever had an issue after that and the tape never showed signs of wear.

Now my case was rather unusual and I had 14" of travel in the front. Before that, with my long arm and regular long travel shocks, I never had this issue.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Just twist the line a bit as sweetpee said, mine looks like this, I splitted a 3/8" vacuum hose where it rubs against the swaybar bracket, I'm sure if I play a bit more with it I could avoid that too

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I can see where the PO did the same thing - twisted the line away from the wheel and also put fuel hose on as a chafing guard, but it still bugs me... I think I'm going to zip tie it with something small that can break easily if the extra length is needed. That way for daily driving, I'm not risking rubbing the lines against the backs of the tires.

You can kinda see what I'm talking about here:

·
Administrator
10,684 Posts
I've seen some people use a spring to keep the brake line out of harms way. I managed to break an extended front brake line on a silly little obstacle in Moab a couple of years ago - I still have no idea how that happened but I always carry spare lines and a couple of quarts of brake fluid. I was back on the trail in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen some people use a spring to keep the brake line out of harms way. I managed to break an extended front brake line on a silly little obstacle in Moab a couple of years ago - I still have no idea how that happened but I always carry spare lines and a couple of quarts of brake fluid. I was back on the trail in about 20 minutes.

That’s a great idea. Those brake lines look vulnerable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I’ll measure out the space back there and see if these would work. Heck the front ones might work too. Or maybe my wheel offset is wrong (see my other thread). :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts