Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I dented my hood on the trail and am fortunate to have a couple of friends who do painting and minor body work. As we talked about the paint job we got a little carried away... There will be a reaper on top and a skull with flames licking aroung the word Rubicon in a font befitting the rest of the paint job on the sides. It will be done with a "shadow" effect so the murals will dissapear from some angles and stand out from others.

Right now the base coat is done and the outline for the top mural is done. Next the outline gets colored with pearls and the side murals get done. Then the entire hood gets clear coat, color coat, then several more clear coats, sanded between all coats.

I'm pretty excited about it...

Pictures Here http://community.webshots.com/album/87271208pVAJAS

Brad

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Nice pic...ask your buddy how hard it is to fix fenders . My right one is sightly tweaked and left is slightly crunched...will i have to replace them totaly?
pete M

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
petesjeeprubi said:
Nice pic...ask your buddy how hard it is to fix fenders . My right one is sightly tweaked and left is slightly crunched...will i have to replace them totaly?
pete M
I can ask. Got any pics? I doubt they'll be able to tell me much without seeing the damage. Not sure they'll know anyway as they do mostly painting and only minor body work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thats looking good so far, keep us updated and of course we will need more pics of the progress!!!! :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Say'n you guys got a little carried away would be like calling the Pope a little Catholic!!! Great pics, looks awesome!!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
pete M
Fenders are actually very easy to fix. I have seen some really bad damage and folds in few and the Body shop did an awesome job.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If the fenders don't have too many crinkles in them they really aren't all that hard to fix by yourself. I put a thick leather glove over a hammer and used a steel heal behind the fender and pounded all the dents out and make fender nice and straight again. Both my fenders were tweaked and you can't even tell the passenger side was damaged now. The driver's side isn't so lucky but that just serves as a reminder that Geo's have feelings too (I rearended a Geo).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
The driver's side isn't so lucky but that just serves as a reminder that Geo's have feelings too (I rearended a Geo).

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well for the last six hours I sat in amazement as Sage painted my hood. It's really starting to take shape now.

I added the new pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/album/87271208pVAJAS

I'll post more later - have to get up for work in less than four hours...

Brad

PS Yes, a little carried away...

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
That is a nice touch :D , but won't you be a little afraid of taking it on some of the more overgrown trails now? I know I would.

Ken

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken White said:
That is a nice touch :D , but won't you be a little afraid of taking it on some of the more overgrown trails now? I know I would.

Ken
I'll do my best to be carefull but I'm not going to let it keep me off the trails I enjoy. Most of my friends couldn't believe that I put a bunch of AZ pinstripes on it the day after I bought it, but I bought it to wheel with. It's not a daily driver and only sees pavement to get to the trails and back. But I COULD NOT turn down this paint job! It started with me asking for some subtle flames at a low cost. Then as we talked the guy who does the murals asked me if I wanted a reaper. I said it would be great but I couldn't afford it. He said don't worry about it. Business is slow, I need to keep in practice, need to get more work out where it will be seen... How could I turn it down?

For my part I gave him and the guy he works with a little advertising space (as you'll see in the latest picts) and they can show their potential customers my Jeep, which stays parked in my shop in the same complex as theirs.

Brad

·
Registered
454 Posts
I love the way he did the RUBICON on the side of the hood. That looks awesome. Hopefully I can dent my hood someday and get that done. :p

G

·
0 Posts
That really looks sharp. I agree about the Rubicon on the side, looks tough.

Ron

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I like the way "Rubicon" came out too. We debated whether to put it in the stock location but Sage thought it would be harder to make it work right with the flames. He applied a decal, did his air brushing, then removed the decal. I think that's the only part he "cheated" on.

The hood is just about done now. The clear coat has been sprayed and all that's left is to buff it out. I added the latest picts to the album, it's the last seven photos. http://community.webshots.com/album/87271208pVAJAS/1

Mark, the guy who fixed the dent, did the base coat and clear coat, and will be doing the buffing wants to sand and buff the rest of the Jeep to give it the same shine as the hood. Funny thing is that he and Sage both know that it's a trail rig and have seen the extent of scratching it gets on the trail. They knew going into it that I would take it right back out on the trails and yet still decided to hook me up... Mark thinks with the number of coats of clear that the scratches won't get to the mural or base coat so they will be able to be buffed out. That would be nice but I'm a little skeptical about that. Time will tell... It will get it's first run this Monday, a 4.0 rated rock trail. :D

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
OK Brad, how much to ship it to Ohio? It would look really nice sitting on my Ruby. Very nice job, and it brings back visions of my yonger motorcycle days.

:D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ken White said:
OK Brad, how much to ship it to Ohio? It would look really nice sitting on my Ruby. Very nice job, and it brings back visions of my yonger motorcycle days.

:D
:) BIG BUX! Maybe if you had some of these :boobies: we could work out a discount... :mrgreen:

Glad you like the job. As far as the picture goes I think most will either love it or hate it. Hopefully those who hate it can still appreciate the work that went into it...

Have a good day
Brad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts