Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or are the MTR's they put on the Rubicon, the most loose
rock grabbin' and huckin' things ever invented.

Ok, its been a long time since I have run 31's on a any Jeep, and the
larger lugs tend to only hold on to bigger rocks and chunks.

But these MTR's seem to pick up everything the size of a tree frog, right
up to the small turd sized rocks, and hold em better than any other tire
I have ever seen.

Case example: I recently went about 4 hours away, did some off roading
and fishing, came back (all freeway miles), and when I got home, pulled
no less than a dozen rocks from just 1 tire, which came from those dirt
roads back in Utah, several hours long forgotten. :shock:

Ok, maybe I just have too much time on my hands right now, but is this
what all 31's do??? [Edit] Do the 285's or 305's do this too? As it might
change my choice of tire upgrade here very soon. Thanks. [Edit]

Sorry. No pic. Damn! next time, i'll post to this thread with pics...

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I have not noticed this afer wheeling my Rubi, either with the stock 31s or the 305s I currently have. Then again, where we wheel, we don't have many smaller rocks. It's either no rocks, or holy sh*t, those are big rocks!

Did you air down? Running at road pressure I would expect some smaller rocks to get picked up and jammed into the lugs. If you aired down, the flexing of the tire lugs would tend to roll over them, or grab them and then chuck them out.

Jerry

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with Jerry, you won't have that problem when you air down. Also, you should really expect this with off road tires. The general rule is: the more aggressive the tire, the more stuff that will get picked up. I have found that after a little wear, they don't pick up quite as much.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm with you on the rocks. Aired down or not. After wheelin in north Ga for a weekend the tires were slammed packed full of small rocks from the dirt roads. After driving a few miles to sling the loose ones out I pulled over and still pulled 78 rocks out of the 4 tires. I also have a gravel driveway that keeps a hand full in there at all times. The rocks are a pain, not so much for me, but for my local tailgaters. :twisted:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yup Yup I get them pesky rocks stuck too, first day I had my rubi the flares had soo many dings in em ya could shake a stick at em. Of course i live up a 1.5 mile long gravel road and where i normally wheel there's alot of gavel road. One thing I dd notice is that since I've aired down to 30psi all the time I have noticed I don't have as much pesky rocks hitting the bottom side of Rubi. I agree with Don, I wonder how many chips I've put in windows from them tailgaters that can't seem to stay off ma butt..

Mo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its really hard to avoid out here. In these parts we don't have any dirt.
We have big rocks, and smaller rocks, and rocks that can look alot like
dirt, and sand. But no dirt.

I have almost no pics of the Rubi, and when I just went looking for one,
the first picture I found (logging road, gold country northern california),
there are no less than a dozen rocks caught up in the treads on this pic. :shock:

And this area has dirt too! It is way worse where I live. Anyway, glad
to see i'm not not alone on this.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The stock tires on my rubi are the rock grabbing king of the universe. I have had some of the same rocks in there for 4000 miles. I put flaps along the lower side of the rock guard last weekend to keep the jeep cleaner and to stop the rocks from hitting me in the arm while on gravel roads. They sure do grip though. I gave them a good mud test last weekend. I am thinking about doing some kind of bedliner coating under front fenders to protedt them from the rocks. P.S. I hate tailgaters bad enough not to clean the rocks out.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I haven't noticed The MTR's picking up near what my BFG AT's did. I had chips all in the paint from those things. However on my lunch break today I ran over a fresh patch job w/o realizing it until a rock landed on my hood, I was hacked at first, I got out looking for who was throwing rocks.

BTW, Awesome pic

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine is just as bad as the rest. My favorite camp/wheeling site is down a 2mile dirt road and when I leave I heard whacks and thuds for about 3 miles on the paved road. It is really annoying but what else you gonna do?

·
Registered
368 Posts
i keep a pair of needle nose pliers in the glove box, takes all off 3 minutes to yank em out while checking under the rig before i hit the pavement

G

·
0 Posts
You look under your rig before you hit pavement???? lol

Just kidding... I guess, I should pick the rocks out, it never even occured to me to do so in the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts