Rubicon Owners Forum banner

highbacks

3K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  LILRDJP 
G
#1 ·
i absolutely hate the highback seats in my '03 rubicon. they sit to low to the floor, and the back comes up so high that i cant see over it when turning my heard prior to changing lanes.
today i attempted to trade seats with a guy that has an '02 sport, but since the patterns didnt match it would require a front and rear swap which we couldnt do because the rear seat mounts are totally different from '02 to '03. the electrical connector on the front seat is also different.
does anybody make "normal" (pre-"highback") seats with a matching '03 cloth? neither of us wanted to just swap the front 2 and run seat covers and the cost of getting them reupholstered is ridiculous. are there any other reasonable solutions im overlooking?
thanks,

#2 ·
Seat Mods...

I have to agree with you 100%!!!!
I just got an estimate on getting the seats cut down to the base of the head rest and replacing the matching mat'l over the seams for $85.00 for the pair plus $45.00 for the mat'l .
I will remove the seats and he will do the mods for me. He will be cutting the head rest frame off and replace the foam over the top and re-upolster them!!
I raised my seats too by about 2" for better view of the front tires when offroading.

#6 ·
I love the high backs, I get in set the cruise, lean back and go. My jeep will only get 200miles to a tank...so i don't have to lean back very long :lol:

#9 ·
I like the seats better than my YJ stock seats.
I replaced those with the cheaper non reclining Bestop seats which were incredibly comfortable.
But...........
I do like these seats alot.
I add 1" Buchanan risers. 2" was too much and I am only 5'5"

That works really nice

#11 ·
7SlotGrille said:
im guessing that you guys who like the highbacks are 6'+? at 5'10" i find them to be a total pain in the ass. they made the seats great for taller guys, at the expense of shorter ones.
Nope
I am a short little dude
5'5" and I like the seats but I used to have a YJ in which the seat height was a problem for me. In order to depress the clutch all the way, I needed the seat right up on the dash

G
#12 ·
7SlotGrille said:
im guessing that you guys who like the highbacks are 6'+? at 5'10" i find them to be a total pain in the ass. they made the seats great for taller guys, at the expense of shorter ones.
No, I am 5'10 and hate my seats too. I didn't like the seats in my YJ either. I like the look of the new seats but they are too high and make looking over your shoulder to difficult and mine aren't that comfy, especially on the sides where your thighs rest (The Foam is wearing out already).

I want the Beard........but shipping is as much as one seat cost so it's not worth it right now for me.

#13 ·
I have to agree with "the new seats suck" crowd. I raised mine 1", which helped, but I still think they are really uncomfortable. I'm 5'11". The high back doesn't bother me, it's the shape of the back and the lack of thigh support. Whenever I drive to Paragon (4 hours each way) my back winds up killing me.

I'd like to find a pair of electric adjustable seats out of a ZJ. Someone did that conversion on JU I believe and it looked great.

Jerry

#14 ·
I like the new seats too and I'm a little over 6' 2", and want to raise it up a little. Having enough leg room is my problem.

Anyhoots, why don't you swap seats with the guy and throw a set of seat covers on? I've got covers on my front seats and now they don't match the rear seat, or you could get covers for the front and back.

#15 ·
I like the seats! I am 6'1" and find them very comfortable, even on long trips. My only complaint (and this goes for my 97 as well) is that my leg (knee really) hits the door window crank and is uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind sitting one inch higher tho.

#18 ·
Have you given any thought on how you are going to do your electrical connections? That is the biggest reason why I haven't done anything yet. I take my doors off a lot and I don't know how I would run the wires. I was thinking that I would just find some plunger contacts like they use in minivan sliding doors but nothing I have found so far has a low enough profile. If anyone has any suggestions...

#19 ·
I don't know how much it costs but Currie is shortening the backs of 03-04 seats as part of the helldorado package.

From what i have heard the guy that designed the rubi seats has a really tall torso and short legs. The 03 seats fit me alright, but I think I will end up lifting the drivers seat 1" and trimming the top off the pass seat ( maybe both )

#21 ·
triver525 said:
At 6'2" I don't find the seats uncomfortable at all either. I do agree though, those window cranks have got to go. I have been thinking about putting in power windows just for that reason.
If anyone finds a way to fix this pm me or email me this has been driving me nuts since i brought her home. I too was thinking of power windows just to get rid of the crank. Or taking the door apart just to move the crank so when the window is all the way down it doesnt stop right at my knee.

#22 ·
This looks like a split decision, half hate them and the other half loves them.

I love them, at 5’8” I think they fit just right, I have made four 2000+ mile round trips and no back problems I had a couple of Grand’s before my Rubi after driving 1200 miles to SoCal my back was killing me actually these seats are the first seats in years that I like.

#23 ·
I'm 6'2 and the only complaint I have is the window crank. After a 13 hour drive to Jamboree last month my back would normally be killing me but it wasn't thanks to the seats.

Adam

#24 ·
7SlotGrille said:

I'm 5'11" and I love the hi-back seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.