Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day.

I have a 2003 Rubicon that is pretty in much showroom condition, being garaged since new, with undet 10K miles.

Since inheriting this jeep from my father I have noticed the cab fan is always running on low, unless turned up to a higher speed. Heater and air work fine, but looking under the hood while the jeep is running, it appears the air pump clutch is always engaging and un-engaging. Is this normal on a jeep that there is no way to fully shut off the fan, or do I have a problem?

Any suggestions what the problem could be, if there is a problem?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,060 Posts
Hi and welcome! I don't think the AC compressor clutch should be engaging and disengaging like that. If you turn the air selector to off, nothing should be running. Download the factory service manual (FSM) and go through the troubleshooting. I think the AC clutch is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM). Search here for "FSM" - I think you'll find a link or an idea of where to get the FSM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

Think I'll try swapping out the relay first, saw a clip where a person's headlights would not turn off becasue the relay went bad. Start with the easy efforts,

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
If the a/c continues to cycle frequently you probably need to add Freon. Low Freon will cause that issue.
If the system is turned off (O position on the heat/ac control), nothing should be on.
As I recall, the ac compressor will cycle when you select the defrost setting to help control the humidity.
IMO, relay is not your issue.
Also, as soon as you turn the system from the O setting, the fan speed you have selected will come on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice jeep for sure.
I second the low freon being a possible cause of A/C clutch cycling. Was my problem last year.
As far as the cabin air fan, I had another make vehicle with similar issue. The fan selector switch itself was the issue.
Good luck with the trouble shooting.
Hopefully something from someone here helps you solve the issues.

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 8 of 8 Posts