Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of KC slimlites today and the brown wire says "earth ground".

I am not sure where to connect this, anyone know where a good grounding location is under or behind the dash? I installed the switch to the right of the locker switch but I can run a longer wire if necessary.

Can I just drill into the body and ground it there with a screw?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have my CB grounded on one of the bolts that holds the door strap onto the A-Pillar, not sure if that is good enough for a lamp though. There really is a shortage of good grounding points behind the dash. You may want to run a wire through the rubber boot in the fire wall that the wiring harness travels through and ground it to something under the hood (battery ground, other grounding points).

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,993 Posts
behind the glove box (take it out) you will see a ground (wire bolted to the metal on TJs)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elwarpo said:
behind the glove box (take it out) you will see a ground (wire bolted to the metal on TJs)
I checked there after I saw a picture on another site of a ground bolt behind the glove box and it was labeled "ground".

But on mine that is not the case (05 Rubi). There are 2 bolts holding the fuse block in and some large bolts up above that, but nothing that says ground. Can I ground it to one of the bolts holding up the fuse block?

I guess worst case I could run something all the way out to the battery neg terminal but I was hoping for something quicker :wink:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,993 Posts
look on the metal strips to the right of the fusebox near the speaker (remove the plastic covering the spealer (2 philips on the side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a couple of spots behind where the stereo goes thats for the dash brackets and what not. There is a couple of spots I have use for lights and my deck. I would personally not run the negative back to the battery since your going to want to have a much shorter ground than positive. Also you could use a self tapping screw in the firewall, just make sure to use some silicon where you are putting the screw to insure a solid seal. Hope thats some help for you there. There is plenty of spots to ground under that dash, just make sure the paints not in the way to make a good contact.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
dxxx said:
I would personally not run the negative back to the battery since your going to want to have a much shorter ground than positive.
Electricity travels at the speed of light....wire length is no issue assuming a correct installation.

And all radio installation guides typically recommend a connection directly to the battery, for both conductors.

:D

·
Registered
523 Posts
x2 direct to battery if possible (also fused). Also direct from battery fused on the positive side. You never know what size wiring there is to the battery if you tie into a point near the fusebox. Run wiring directly to battery with good heavy guage wiring and you never have to worry about it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies!

Well this morning while digging around I found a screw just above the change holder to the right of the TC shifter. It was facing the firewall and there was something else (black wire) already grounded to it so I figured I'd give it a shot before running a wire to the battery. It works fine but I get a click when I turn the KC lights off. I am thinking this is just the relay turning off?

Before I grounded that brown wire, the KC lights worked fine but the tiny light on the switch did not work, now the KC's and the light on the switch work, just that clicking sound I did not notice before the brown wire was grounded. Of course last night I had the radio on when I was working on the Jeep, today the garage was silent when I was turning the lights on and off.

Does the click sound like it would be normal for KC lights on a relay?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
richeym said:
I have the slimlite 130w on the windshield, you can hear the relay click on mine also.
Ok thanks! I was ready to tear it out and hook up the brown to the battery just to doublecheck, you saved me some time I'm going to grab a beer :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts