Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Rubi has been making a ticking noise for some time, it was off and on and then but now it is constant and annoying. I've located it to the thing pictured but I have no clue what it is. It's on the passenger side of the engine under the head, goes into the block.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oil Pump Drive Assembly (OPDA) - There are tons of threads here & on JU about this. Get ready for a good read & to get pissed @ Chrysler.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Above response is correct. I have been trying to track down a rough idle for a while and thought I finally found it when my battery tested pretty poorly. Happened to get out of the Jeep today while it was running, and sure enough I have a loud tick straight from the OPDA. Not happy and the local Dealer quoted me a range of up to $250 to pull it and inspect.

Here is a thread on it with some good info and a link to a large JF thread.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68977

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Dont pull that doo hicky out without reading up on it 1st. I believe there is a timing issue involved using some special tool. I'm not real sure but believe I briefly read something along those lines.

·
3,368 Posts
Some good news... 03-04 OPDA are not AS hard to get new as the newer models. I paid around $200 for the OPDA, gasket and new cam position sensor (grey thing on top). I also paid $90 for a dealer to put it on and it took about 30 minutes.

You can do it yourself but you have to put it back in an exact location otherwise it throws off your fuel injection/spark firing sequence. If you wait too long on this issue it can result in catastrophic failure: loss of oil pressure, severe cam shaft wear, etc...

If by some slim chance you have any of the 7/70 warranty left and feel like messing around with them, take it to the dealer. What i did was bypass all that crap, I went to the parts counter at a jeep dealer and ordered the above parts. When they got in, I just turn around and toldl the dealer I wanted this put on in replacement of the old one. There's no arguing or discussion at that point.

As the others have said, there is a butt load of posts about this subject on here. It WILL overwhelm you and scare the hell out of you. You might try doing a search on here for "OPDA" maybe even put in "DoctorD" in the author line (he's our regular expert/guru).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the tick has been going on for some 70 thousand miles off and on, and constant for about 20 thousand miles or so.

It is leaking oil now, which you can see in the pic, what is the exact name of this and how difficult is it to fix?

Everything I've read about the cam gear issue/OPDA issue applies to the newer 05-06 engines, mine is an 03 with the older style of cam sensor.

Could it be possible I just need a new cam sensor?

·
3,368 Posts
redmosquito83 said:
Thanks SweetPee, any chance I can get this part somewhere other than the dealer?
Yes, possibly....

Dorman makes one that you can find at some regular part stores(advanced auto parts, autozone, not seen it at napa) I have not seen many write-ups that use them. The one I have seen is on here from a long time ago and apparently it was made incorrectly. I would assume that issue would have been fixed by now.

You'll have to call these guys cause it is not on the website that I've ever seen... But write down your VIN# and call Mopar Parts America. Their site looks like it has a problem at this very minute, but it was working earlier.

Same deal with giving Whole Sale Mopar a try.

EDIT FOR CORRECT INFO:
The original OEM part#s is:
53010615AA # has been changed to 53010615AB- OPDA $50.67
4897023AA- cam poition sensor $54.40
J3181288AB- Gasket $2.13
These numbers and prices are right off the invoice when I got mine for my 2004 (same OPDA as yours) at a dealer here in my town. So they should be the correct part numbers, the price should be close... I don't think it would vary that much!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are either of those part of Chrysler? All the dealers near me are closed, which sucks for me because I want to fix this tonight. Hopefully I can find one tomorrow locally.

As for the dorman part, I can find them online no issue but all the big chain stores by me say they can't get on from Dorman at all so I'll assume they quit making them once they realised the alignment was messed up.

·
3,368 Posts
If i understand your question right.... Mopar Parts America & Whole Sale Mopar are (I think) dealerships that do discount parts sales over the Internet. All the part numbers I gave you are Chrysler-Jeep OE numbers.

Depending on where you are... If your in the eastern time zone, you might not be doing anything tonight I'm affraid.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep eastern time zone, but, I know that dealerships can look through out the country so I may find a nice parts guy in california to look in the metro detroit area. I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It worked, several dealers in my area have it but according to the part number you gave me, 53010615AB, it is a $250 part. Which is insane.

I'll have to call locally and see what they are in the morning, hopefully she was just looking at the screen wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I feel your pain. I just got my Rubi back from them syncing up the unit an hour ago. Your model is NOT a dealer only item like the 05's and 06's. I would check online and include Checker's /O'Reilly's.

I believe the Auto Parts Wharehouse has them much cheaper.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've found them online for a lot cheaper than what the lady on the phone quoted me at, and SweetPee said he paid for his, so I'm banking on her price being wrong. Or I hope.

If I can get it I think I can get this problem rectified in the afternoon no issues.

I'm wondering though is this the cause of the whine I've been hearing off idle?

·
Registered
675 Posts
redmosquito83 said:
If I can get it I think I can get this problem rectified in the afternoon no issues.
Are you doing the work yourself? If so please let us know how it went. I have an 03, too.

·
3,368 Posts
redmosquito83 said:
I've found them online for a lot cheaper than what the lady on the phone quoted me at, and SweetPee said he paid for his, so I'm banking on her price being wrong. Or I hope.

I'm wondering though is this the cause of the whine I've been hearing off idle?
Yea that 250 price sounds steep! But my parts guy at the dealer may have let me have a discount... But I for dam sure doubt it is THAT much of a discount!!!!!

Do you have a FSM???? IF NOT LET ME KNOW & PM me your email address. You have to be really dead on about how you put this thing in! And even then, it may not run right without taking it to a dealer and having it hooked to a DRB machine. The $90 up above I said the dealer charged me for putting mine on is a flat rate, meaning any time they pull the DRB machine it is a $90 charge flat out. Putting the actual parts in is almost a no brainer, but getting it in synch with the readings that the PCM also takes off of the crank position sensor is the issue.

As far as the whine you hear, that could be anything! Idler pulley, cold air intake, or yes even the OPDA. People have reported many different sounds allegedly from their own experiences with the OPDA on their own jeep. I had ticking, but I cannot confirm or remember any additional sounds.

Also FWIW.... Those prices and part numbers was off my invoice and I had this work done & parts ordered in January of this year. So things should be relatively up todate.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SweetPee - I was shocked at the price she quoted me on, I read your original posts on this and saw the date. We'll see when I run by the dealer tomorrow if I get a chance, or call them which ever comes first.

I have a buddy that might be able to pull some strings at an jeep dealer he used to work for so maybe he can get it for me cheaply. We'll see

JCRocks - yes I'll be doing the work myself, most likely the minute I get the part so. Hopefully I can get it lined up so as not to have to pay to get it resynched.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well a quick update. Every dealer in town quoted me at $270 for the part, I did get one parts guy to tell me that he isn't sure why they are so much because he is remembers them being $50-$70 about a year ago. He was actually shocked at the price too. But I did find one at the best auto parts store in my town, Mazza Auto Parts, which is basically a 4 store family owned company that has or can get just about anything. So it should be here tomorrow morning. So should be all set, I just hope I get it back in exactly right so I don't have to pay to get it re synched.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts