Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to TJs, as I have been a long time CJ owner. I just got my Rubicon a month ago and am painstakingly trying to decide on the right lift height to go with. I am debating between the RE 3.5 and RE 4.5 lift. I am going with a CV driveshaft either way, am going to put 33 MTRs on and can't decide between the two lifts. Anyone have an opinion to sway me one way or the other, pros/cons, etc...? Get me off the fence!! Thanks for any inputs.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
best member to answer this question would be PBR Stitch..

we agonized with him for days..on 3.5'' or 4.5'' springs..
did all sorts of measurments for him.. he checked the solar winds and
stars..for anlignment..
his final decision was RE 3.5''

i choose the 3.5'' springs for the long arm due to the service manager
would be able to cover me.. mostly due to the dealership adds 3.5''
lifts on lots of jeeps they sell. i also am running 305/70R/16`s
they fit just fine.

mac

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see that the loyal following of my agonizing has beaten me to your question :lol: :lol: ! I finally ordered the RE 3.5, with lots of extra parts. I basically ordered a RE 4.5 Super-flex, but deleted the front trackbar, RE Quick Disconnects, and 4.5 springs. I added JKS "Quicker DIsconnects, JKS(OGS) front adjustable trackbar, and 3.5 springs. I deleted the 2 RE parts due to personnel preference, they are adequate and get the job done, but I don't think they compare to the JKS parts. My final reasoning was that since I was only intending to run 33's and already had a JKS 1 1/4" body lift installed along with MORE MML I would go with the 3.5 springs. If I wanted more lift later I would go AiRock. In reality the final decision was made when some of the 4.5 spring measurements dictated that I would not be able to get it inside the garage. I could have gone 4.5 if I took out my Body Lift. Here is my gouge for you. Since you are already going with the CV drive shaft, you could go the straight RE 4.5 Superflex kit, no body lift, and be done with it for your 33's. If I would have started from scratch and not been pulling another lift kit off of mine (OME) then I would have done the 4.5 and not agonized over kits.

Mac does have a very good point about dealerships. I would check with yours to see what they think about warranty stuff. Mine has a fairly good tolerance for stuff, but I have pushed past it in a few areas already.

Ron (time to agonize about Website Name)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Jim...I went with the 4.5 myself. The reason I had origanlly gone with the 4.5 was that I was not going to do a BL and stay with 33's. Then Medic went and made a T-Case skid that requires a 1" min BL. I have done a 1.5" BL and MML and the skid. I am now going to 35's. I am happy with the stability of the JP with the lift that I have and would recommend it to anyone. You have to answer some questions for yourself first or Align the stars like PBR did.. :wink:

1...What size tire you want to run...Remember even if you are new to the sport and you are starting with 33's are you going to move up in the tires sizes...Adding more lift later is not bad but can be expensive.

2...Are you going to want to address the giagantic T-Case skid that is on the JP..If so you will require a BL no matter what manufature that you go with.

3...Do you have a garage...Standard doors are 80" and my JP on 35's will stand 82".

Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts