Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no visible gas leak. There is no smell in the garage or in the cabin before starting the engine. It does not smell like exhaust. It can dissipate over a long time of driving. I have had the Jeep for 8 years and this just started 2 weeks ago. The engine runs perfectly. A Jeep mechanic looked it over and found nothing. Does anyone have any thoughts to give my mechanic some direction?

·
1,600 Posts
I'm suspecting raw fuel in the exhaust and that it doesn't smell like exhaust because the raw fuel smell is overpowering the exhaust smell.
Do you see your gas gauge going down faster?
No engine codes right?

Don't put much weight in this, but maybe when your exhaust is hot after driving for a while it, burns the bulk of that escaping gas? Then the smell goes away as you reported?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't answer the code question. I am taking it in Wednesday for another go, as they didn't have adequate time to really get after it during a tire rotation. I am asking the forum for help as they didn't seem to have any direction when I left. Getting normal gas mileage. I think the smell starts in the engine compartment and then spreads rearward. Thank you for considering my problem!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your injector rail, lines, connectors. Possibly have a slight leak that vaporizes once you get up to operating temp.
Hard to imagine a competent mechanic couldn’t find the source of a fuel leak/smell.
I am taking it in Wednesday for another go, as they didn't have adequate time to really get after it during a tire rotation. I am asking the forum for help as they didn't seem to have any direction when I left. I am sure they inspected for an obvious leak. Friday afternoon, in an auto garage, is not the best time to address an odd-ball question like this. Ha Ha.

·
1,600 Posts
Lack of smell inside the garage before start up pushed my thinking to the exhaust. My Jeep reeked of gas on or off when I was working around my injectors.

Following Bob's thinking, I would start up cold and dab around with some toilet paper to look for wetness my eyes couldn't catch. Don't forget to remove it.

Just curious, did anyone work on your Jeep before all this happened? I've had my hands knock stuff loose before as I was reaching for something unrelated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lack of smell inside the garage before start up pushed my thinking to the exhaust. My Jeep reeked of gas on or off when I was working around my injectors.

Following Bob's thinking, I would start up cold and dab around with some toilet paper to look for wetness my eyes couldn't catch. Don't forget to remove it.

Just curious, did anyone work on your Jeep before all this happened? I've had my hands knock stuff loose before as I was reaching for something unrelated.
I certainly could have knocked something loose while cleaning the engine compartment after a really dusty run. I plan to go start it cold and sniff around and inspect everything that I can see today. They had mentioned that a sensor (perhaps the TPS) could be worn out. It makes sense to me that the injectors could be putting out too much gas at start up. Thank you again.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If your injectors are over fueling to the point of getting a fuel smell fro the exhaust then it would not run very well.
When you notice the smell stop and get out. Is it coming from under the hood or by the rear of the vehicle. From the exhaust or under the fuel tank?
If you have a leak in your evap system then you could get a intermittent smell. It takes a few proper drive cycles to trigger a engine code. Did it start after a fill up?

·
1,600 Posts
Running well made me balk at exhaust gas too. I have PTSD from my injector wires grounding out LOL. I hear my 1/8 th gas in the tank beep and still flinch like it’s a check engine beep from the PCM.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The issue is clearly on top of the engine itself as the strong smell of fresh gas immediately comes from that area on start up (hood up). I am not a mechanic and have not tried pulling off the cover or anything else. I still saw no liquid coming from anywhere around or below the engine. I thank you all for considering the problem. I should have enough information to hit the ground running and get it fixed Wednesday at the auto shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As it always works out, there was no gas smell on the way to the auto shop today. I have not been driving it for a week, as I have been afraid of an engine fire. The mechanics are addressing the issue as it will certainly come back. The intermittent nature of the problem suggests an electrical issue with the fuel system or perhaps an intermittent leak at an O-ring in the fuel line. They are going to keep it overnight and check it at a completely cold start. Crossing my fingers they figure it out. I will continue to update this post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed. It was a man-made problem. During the replacement of a faulty oil pressure sensor, several weeks ago, one of the O-rings for the fuel line unknowingly came out. Colder temperatures allowed enough contraction for leaking to occur from the connection. With heat, it could seal up well enough not to be noticed. I am not angry about it at all as crazy things can happen to anyone. It cost me nothing but they lost a lot of time working on the problem. I am just glad it got sorted out. With that, I close this post. Thanks to those who responded!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts