Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rubicon, 2 door
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to jeeps but not to 4X4's. I have wanted a jeep since I drove them in the Army in the 1970's and 1980's. I grew up on old Scout's. I spent a career with the US Border Patrol so I have a bit of off road and recovery experience. My current 4x4 is my 1972 W200 Power Wagon that I have had since 1994. I just finished putting the 4th engine in since I have had it. This time it was a rebuilt 5.9 Magnum, last time it was a used 5.9 to replace the aging LA 360.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Truck Hood

This evening I am driving 300 miles to go buy my first ever Jeep. It is a 2012 2 door Rubicon.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Welcome to ROF. I really like the old Dodges. Had one many years ago. I knew a guy who had a sweet 77 4x4 pickup with a 440 under the hood. It was a super nice truck

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
Glad to have you here Bob! We have a good group of folks here with a wide range of experience in wrenching and off-roading.

In Vietnam we had Power Wagons, your pix brought back memories.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hello and welcome.
Out of the probably 50 plus vehicles I have owned, the only one I wish I had back was my old power wagon.
I assume you are running a aftermarket manifold and carburetor on your magnum and not the kegger?

·
Registered
2012 Rubicon, 2 door
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello and welcome.
Out of the probably 50 plus vehicles I have owned, the only one I wish I had back was my old power wagon.
I assume you are running a aftermarket manifold and carburetor on your magnum and not the kegger?
Edelbrock Air gap RPM and an Eddy 650. The only problem is the air gap in the cold, it does not like cold.....
I put the rebuilt engine in, set the timing, fast idle for 10 minutes, drove ten miles and all the oil came out the exhaust...... had it towed home.....

Bright spot is I got home with my new to me 2012 Rubicon last night. What a beut.....

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,918 Posts
Edelbrock Air gap RPM and an Eddy 650. The only problem is the air gap in the cold, it does not like cold.....
I put the rebuilt engine in, set the timing, fast idle for 10 minutes, drove ten miles and all the oil came out the exhaust...... had it towed home.....

Bright spot is I got home with my new to me 2012 Rubicon last night. What a beut.....
So, the old truck is dead in the water?

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,134 Posts
What mods are on the Wrangler?
Looks like 35s with an appropriately sized suspension lift on top of the obvious stuff like bumper, winch, flares and rocker guards.

·
Registered
2012 Rubicon, 2 door
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What mods are on the Wrangler?
Looks like 35s with an appropriately sized suspension lift on top of the obvious stuff like bumper, winch, flares and rocker guards.
37's..... power chip tune, exhaust, K&N Cold air kit, upgraded brakes, bestop, soft top. Had to have the hard top to drive it home and will probably use HT during the winters. It has terra flex suspension and Fox shocks. There is an Optima battery, but I need to clean the connections.

The previous owner was a serios jeeper. It does not look like it was wheeled hard, I have seen street cars that looked worse underneath. I am kinda hoping that the previous owner left the 4:10 gears but I have my doubts after driving it on the interstate all day driving home.

The issues I have notices so far is rear locker light flashes, but after jacking it up it seems to be working. The cruise control does not work, someone mounted a hood mount jack mount but stripped the mounting bolts. Do you know if I remover them if I will be missing hardware for the hood hinges?

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,589 Posts
Nice jeep, but love the truck...

·
Registered
2012 Rubicon, 2 door
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the Jack mounts off the hood. I ended up grinding the bolt heads off as someone buggered up the hex head, then took them out with vice grips. I just needed replacement bolts. I got the replacement rebuilt engine for the Dodge today and got it bolted up today. Hopefully I will get it running after work tomorrow.

If this one self destructs in 10 miles I am gonna be greatly annoyed.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,589 Posts
trick also wit buggered up torx bolts is to take a dremel and cut a slot and use a flat screwdriver.

• Helpful
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 20 of 22 Posts