Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TJs run hot and mine is absolutely no exception. But I was wondering what anyone else has done anything to keep it running a bit cooler under the hood. I've been thinking electric fans and low-temp thermostats but I'm wondering how much that really helps.

On a related note, and at the risk of getting flamed, has anyone done anything to reduce heat and noise in the cab?

By the way, it topped 100 down here in sunny Southern California today (that's 38 for you Canucks). But I'm sure that had nothing to do with the question.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
RubiRedJeep said:
TJs run hot and mine is absolutely no exception. But I was wondering what anyone else has done anything to keep it running a bit cooler under the hood. I've been thinking electric fans and low-temp thermostats but I'm wondering how much that really helps.

On a related note, and at the risk of getting flamed, has anyone done anything to reduce heat and noise in the cab?

By the way, it topped 100 down here in sunny Southern California today (that's 38 for you Canucks). But I'm sure that had nothing to do with the question.
First off, you will never get flamed here. That is one of the few rules I have and would result in instant banning of the flamer. I created this forum to get away from that.

Second, I have added a tranny cooler to help alleviate the load on the cooling system but as for making the jeep run cooler, it doesn't because it still has the 210F thermostat. What it does do is make it easier for the cooling system to maintain the proper temp.

You can change thermostats, but keep in mind that your computer and emissions system is programmed for the 210F theromostat, and you may in fact experience detrimental gas mileage and emissions. However, I have heard of lots of people going to a 180 or even a 160F thermostat with no issues. If I were going to do this, and I may, I would looking into some sort of programmer that would let me reprogram the computer for the new thermostat and thereby alleviate any emissions issues.
Something else I am going to do eventually is add a small "helper" fan to the tranny cooler (which sits in front of the radiator) due to the winch now blocking some air flow. I havn't had any problems yet, but trying to climb a cliff with an overheating motor and tranny would suck, so I would rather head it off in advance. Anyway, this is just my thoughts.

Justin

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have 1 replay for 2 of your questions.

First, go to walmart and purchase some of there cheep plastic/rubber floor mats and place them under the carpeting. This helps to shield the heat...if you could find a heat blanket, that would be better but if any moisture found it's way under there...it would stink.

Second...on the using a lower thermostat...I did this to my 91 Cherokee and it melted the Cat in quick order. Running a lower stat makes the engine run richer causing more unburnt fuel to hit the cat causing it to over heat...caution must be used here.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
dougsTJ2 said:
I have 1 replay for 2 of your questions.

First, go to walmart and purchase some of there cheep plastic/rubber floor mats and place them under the carpeting. This helps to shield the heat...if you could find a heat blanket, that would be better but if any moisture found it's way under there...it would stink.

Second...on the using a lower thermostat...I did this to my 91 Cherokee and it melted the Cat in quick order. Running a lower stat makes the engine run richer causing more unburnt fuel to hit the cat causing it to over heat...caution must be used here.
I agree 100%. I have seen it work for some but not for others. UNless I can reprogramm the puter I won't do it.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biggest problem with underhood heat is sitting still, so adding additional coolers and fans won't really help out there, it will still be hot under the hood. Now those fans and coolers will help out your cooling system overall by spreading out the load more. This will help you cooling system while crawling off road.

The underhood temperature affects your air intake temperature more than anything else. A friend ran a test with thermal sensors mounted under the hood and outside. Sitting still it was really hot, so the thought was that it wouldn't really cool off to much when it was moving due to the way Jeeps were designed. At freeway speed the underhood temp actually dropped to about 10degrees above ambient. You would really need to vent your hood to allow the hot air to escape.

I would/ probably will add additional coolers to reduce the heat load on the cooling system. I deal with high heat and humidity down here so am keeping an eye on it. Right now I haven't seen a need for it, even wheelin, but will watch it through the summer. I would stay with the 210 thermostate unless you can reprogram the computer. The engine/ computer will think that the engine is still warming up and keep the fuel mixture rich until it reaches operating temperature.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Justin, Doug and Ron for your ideas.

PBR Stitch said:
The underhood temperature affects your air intake temperature more than anything else.
That brings up a good point. I was thinking about going with one of the cool air intakes like AEM or K&N. They include heat shields to keep away the hot air coming off the engine. I've often wondered if this is worth the effort. Nonetheless, there is also the effect of that hot engine air on the cab temp, batteries, electronics, etc. This gets worse as you add OBA and/or dual batteries which limit the amount of airflow under the hood.

PBR Stitch said:
I would stay with the 210 thermostate unless you can reprogram the computer. The engine/ computer will think that the engine is still warming up and keep the fuel mixture rich until it reaches operating temperature.
Some of the after market performance chip suppliers such as JET actually accomodate--or so they say--for low-temp thermostats. I've heard such mixed reviews about performance chips on Jeeps. Some people say they provide an appreciable power increase, others say they "feel" like they have more power, and still others say they run worse. If it corrects the mixture issue for low-temp themos it may be worth the money on that aspect alone--but that's a HUGE if.

Awe heck, I just need to throw on an Avenger Supercharger and be done with it. :lol:

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
RubiRedJeep said:
Awe heck, I just need to throw on an Avenger Supercharger and be done with it. :lol:
:atabove: :atabove:

im good at getting my way buying stuff... however i think a supercharger
is like a no win for me. :cry:

·
Registered
43 Posts
here's what i use in any radiator, when the engine expects to see higher
than normal temperature for extended periods of time: Redline Water
Wetter. it works. add 1 qt. stir. forget.

Bilbo
Bugbear

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm. Thanks Bilbo, I'll have to look into that. I know that the new Jeeps run a different coolant. I wonder if there is any conflict between these two products.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4x4mac said:
RubiRedJeep said:
:atabove: :atabove:

im good at getting my way buying stuff... however i think a supercharger
is like a no win for me. :cry:
I really want to see a Rubi owner (preferably me) do this. Didn't Jerry mention something about it? Maybe we can give him a little peer pressure. Whattya say?

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
RubiRedJeep said:
4x4mac said:
RubiRedJeep said:
I really want to see a Rubi owner (preferably me) do this. Didn't Jerry mention something about it? Maybe we can give him a little peer pressure. Whattya say?
try this...

JERRY........JERRY.......JERRY!
oh wait thats for Springer
:wink:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have heard that using ceramic coated exhaust headers will greatly reduce the underhood temp of vehicles.....Never seen a model for the Rubicon though...

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
You guys can spend my money faster than my wife.

I would like to have the supercharger on my Rubi - it would put some power back into it for highway driving. I'm fine with the stock engine offroad. But with the auto and 33s on the road it's pretty much a gutless dawg.

Next year. Maybe. I gotta get some mileage out of my warranty.......

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JerryC said:

I would like to have the supercharger on my Rubi - it would put some power back into it for highway driving. I'm fine with the stock engine offroad. But with the auto and 33s on the road it's pretty much a gutless dawg.

Jerry
Warranty schmarranty, we need you to buy a... er... you need to buy a super-charger!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
JerryC said:

Jerry
Jerry.....
do you have any suspension warrenty...?
one look under the jeep they gonna....say WHATS THOSE THINGYs..

so just get the Supercharger....... U know ya wana have it!
:roll:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Jerry.....
do you have any suspension warrenty...?
one look under the jeep they gonna....say WHATS THOSE THINGYs..

so just get the Supercharger....... U know ya wana have it!
:roll:[/quote]

Haven't got much of a stock suspension left to warranty. I am running the stock steering, and I still have 4 stock control arms left. Actually, my dealer is pretty cool about this stuff. They're not going to warranty my AiROCK or JKS goodies, but I think they'd cover the remaining stock items.

Now I won't ask then to cover anything I added, but they helped me out on my XJ years ago with an issue I had that might have been questionable. And that was the only Jeep out of 7 the Clark family didn't buy from them.

So far the only systems I haven't touched on my Jeep are the engine, tranny, TC, brakes, and climate control. And I think I'll leave it that way for a while. :D

I think my Jeep is turning out the way I hoped. But if DC ever brings out a 4.7L V8 Scrambler Rubicon, Air Rubi is history. :scatter:

BTW mac, Avenger superchargers are less than $4700. :wink:

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
JerryC said:
Jerry.....
BTW mac, Avenger superchargers are less than $4700. :wink:

Jerry
ha ha ha ha ha
thers no way... im gonna git that supercharger..
.......hmmmmmmm
nahhhhhhhhh

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
[quote="4x4mac]ha ha ha ha ha
thers no way... im gonna git that supercharger..
.......hmmmmmmm
nahhhhhhhhh
:wink:[/quote]

Don't be a woosie. Get it. You know you want it.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is getting close to a double dog dare you... :lol: :lol:

Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts