Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 WD Parts mentioned that the OME shocks would wear out fast under the weight of a rubicon!? Has anyone heard this? I passed it off as nonsense, and moved on... but wanted to ask someone else. :) I have always heard the OME shocks were the best match for most of your consumer suspension systems...

FWIW -- I normally don't trust our local 4wd parts guys for installation and usage...

Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
billytusc said:
4 WD Parts mentioned that the OME shocks would wear out fast under the weight of a rubicon!? Has anyone heard this? I passed it off as nonsense, and moved on... but wanted to ask someone else. :) I have always heard the OME shocks were the best match for most of your consumer suspension systems...

FWIW -- I normally don't trust our local 4wd parts guys for installation and usage...

Thanks.
they say some funnny stuff!
OME kicks asssssssssssssss

what brand did he say.....a Rubi should use just curious?

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
My guess Pro Comp, :roll: .

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, and I wonder what the modified Jeeps weight. I guess their lighter than a Rubi.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shocks...

He said the Tera shocks were the best...

I suppose it was good for a laugh..if nothing else.

:D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did he have a definition of fast??? I mean, an extreme off road shock, being used in extreme off road conditions often, will only last so long period..... In that scenario, how much different do you think any shock will last from one to the other???? And they do say the funniest things sometimes.... Sounds like they made more money somehow from the Tera shock to me.

The OME is sweet on the road, some assert maybe to soft for the off road, but everything is a dang trade off. My ride off and on road is pretty cushy... I love em.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Around here Bilstein's are a popular choice, do any of you guys have any experience with the Bilsteins compared to OME :?:

Roger

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bilsteins are supposed to be the best shock. I think RE does list them as a choice with their kits, for some hefty dollars....

You should get some, and post back and let us all know how they are... lol

I got the OME's for like $220 with my kit, I felt that was pretty reasonable for them. But heck, DT3000's would have only been $120!! At that sort of savings, I definetly see why people run them, probably why I ran em on my Cherokee XJ, even replacing them with the same shock, as with the XJ, cost was almost always the primary concern / bottom line.

PS: They list the Bilstiens at like $425 with my kit.. OUCH!!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
When I checked with the local ORW shop they reccomend the Bilsteins 5100 series with the Tera lifts also, I think they were $300.00 a set with the lift.

Roger

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you run them then????? How are they????

Inquire'n minds want to know!!! lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have not done the lift and shocks yet but I have a few friends with TJ's & Bilsteins who love them on AND off road, they claim better on road handeling with 4" + lifts than stock, my experience with Bilsteins in on my 4x4 S10 pickup whick work well for that setup althoe somewhat stiff.

Roger

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I will be curious as to your results with them, when you get your new suspension on.... Cost is the only reason, I didn't give em a shot, I must admit.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Bilsteins are the only choice on the AirROCK system for a good reason.
They are awesome shocks.
But that doesnt mean that OME's are slackers.

I love mine, and until I get the AirRock, I wont give em up for nothing

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shocks...

I don't plan on doing anything lofty (read: over 3.5" lift) the very near future. I also don't plan on the LA as my first lift on the Rubicon. I'm leaning towards the BDS suspension system w/ 1" BL.

With that system.. DT3000 is probably the best for the $$.. but I'm going to spring for the OME ....

Thanks for the input...

:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
havign run DT3000's on my Cherokee XJ for a long long time, the OME's are worth the additional cost, but once again that is my opinion, plenty of opinions out there the other way too. Of course those are guys that felt they could not afford Rancho 9000's or OME shocks. So their opnion is probably just as right as mine, for themselves.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info.. once again.

Definitely going for the OMEs...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bilstein have one of there warehouse/ production lines here in New Haven CT, I should stop in and see if they will do group buys, or direct discounts. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts