Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock sealed beams don't really work all that well.
So got to looking about and found that Hella makes a replacement that has an H4 replaceable bulb in the back. Same wattage. That sounds good to me, but does it work any better than the OEM? Or am I only gonna get what I want with a HID system?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sylvannia makes a lamp called the Silverstar which I am planning on trying. They were reviewed by http://www.rockcrawler.com and apparently throw a lot more light than stock. The H4 conversions are allright, I wouldn't expect much more light out of them. I used to have an H4 conversion in my old Bronco II and it really didn't make too much of a difference other than being less diffused over the road and ease of bulb replacement.

HID systems are hard to come by and some of them, IMHO, are dangerous because they don't address the huge initial current draw when you start them up. Not to mention also that they are expensive, really expensive.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I did the silverstar conversion for the $40. I have a hard time seeing the yellow and white lines at night on poorly maintained roads and the yellowish tint of the stock lights made them damn near invisible. With the silverstars I get a nice crisp white illumination much like daylight. They are a bit brighter than stock, but the color range was my driving reason for getting them. For brights I would just look at A-pillar mounted lights or something.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I did this conversion on my old truck and was very impressed with the results, of course before I did it I had one halogen and one old school light. I didn't use the Hella kit when I did mine mainly because I didn't know about it. How much wattage can the stock wirring take before needing relay's?

·
Registered
454 Posts
HIDs are actually less power than what you have on your Jeep now. It is just the inrush current that your wiring probably can't take. At least, not on a regular basis. If you are doing a straight H4 conversion the wiring will be plenty adequate.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i have the IPF conversion they are great well worth the money

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latemarch said:
The stock sealed beams don't really work all that well.
So got to looking about and found that Hella makes a replacement that has an H4 replaceable bulb in the back. Same wattage. That sounds good to me, but does it work any better than the OEM? Or am I only gonna get what I want with a HID system?
I have some Hella H4s from Mexico, they probably aren't legal but they have a really nice white light with even distribution and a vague bluish tint.

I would go with Hella, OSRAM or Sylvania. I got my Hellas on Ebay. OSRAMS are european I think...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have done a Bosch H4 conversion. The conversion opened a whole new world for me at night. I was able to do this for about $70US up here in Canada.

H4 conversion is more than adequate IMO.

Sean

·
Registered
189 Posts
I second the IPF headlight conversion. I had them on my YJ in conjunction with the magic J bulbs and they put out lots of light. The bulbs draw 55W but because of the exotic gases, they produce the light of an 85W bulb. Another neat thing is they glow for several seconds after you turn your lights off. Mine glowed blue when they were turned off, but you can buy green too. Well worth the money in my opinion. I will be running them again in my Rubi here real soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey, check out xenonmods.com

the guy who sells those is Rich, great guy. I'm buyign his Plasma headights as we speak. Only thing is you gotta remember to upgrade your wiring, the headlights are much higher wattage.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
H4 Conversion

I tried to save a few bucks and went w/ the delta conversion w/ xenon bulbs )(^%#@(*&^ :........they are for sale if anybody's interested, finally got it right, IPF conversion w/ clear 55/100 watt H4's and ron's fog light relay modification. This combo ROCKS.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good choice Latemarch. I'm ordering mine later this week. Did you end up going with the "magic J" bulbs?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RubiTJ said:
Good choice Latemarch. I'm ordering mine later this week. Did you end up going with the "magic J" bulbs?
No, I'm going to put Sylania Silverstar bulbs in them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's what I know about headlamps: whiter is not necessarily brighter and most of the aftermarket stuff out there is just that--whiter. They use blue filters to cut out the yellows in the light and the remaining blue light appears white. The problem that I see is that, by cutting out the yellows you're actually cutting out some of the lighting ability so you might actually end up with a dimmer--albeit whiter--headlamp. I think that if you want the white HID look you should get the HIDs.

I personally got the Hella H4 style because they angle the light better. They have a very sharp cut off that allows you to run a brighter bulb to illuminate the road in front of you without blinding the oncoming traffic. They also curve the angle up towards the right hand side of the vehicle to allow you to see the shoulder of the road and road signs better. The difference is striking when you aim them at a wall or something you can see a very defined angle of light. It looks something like this:

_____/__/

The light is angled below and to the right of the line.

Here's the other thing: if you want more light get a bulb with higher wattage. All of these claims about squeezing 85W of light out of a 55 W bulb are usually always bunk. I got the PIAA Extreme Plasma super white high performance blinding seering blah blah blah H4 replacements and the were crap. I replaced them with the old H4s that came with the Hella. I'm going to get the 55/100W bulbs in the future and call it a day.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you run higher wattage bulbs then what your jeep came with, make sure you use heavier guage wire to the h/lamp bulb connecter. The increased power draw coupled with higher heat from the bulb will cause your wiring to melt over time. I see it all the time, mostly on vehicles with daytime running lamps because the daytime running lamps run on the high beam curcuit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The headlights are in.
There is quite an improvement with the IPFs. This is due to two things. First the lens on the light is of significantly better quality than the sealed beams. Second the H4 bulb with built in reflector concentrates the light onto the road and not just willey nilley everywhere. As someone pointed out with the Hellas you get a ______/ look to the light with sharp cut off and then a flair up to the right. This concentrates the light onto the road and not into the eyes of oncoming traffic and the flair on the right illuminates signs and deer on the right of the road.
These are essentially the same wattage as the originals so no relays or alteration of the wiring harness required.
The installation is dead simple........as long as you don't drop one of the screws down into the front sheet metal of the jeep :roll:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts