Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's after a recent thunderstorm (Mini Hurricane) I went out and check the Jeep out for hail damage. I was looking at the hard top and I noticed that it is sagging above the front seats, more so on the drivers side. I had noticed this a while back but it didn't seem as bad. Is this a common Jeep thing or should I head for the dealer for a warranty claim.

TIA,

James

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
think there is a dealer fix.... its a thing that sits on the center bar
and supports the hard top.

kinda cheesy.... but heard it worked.
mac

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
There was a TSB on this for the 2000 and up.. It is a small piece of foam that goes in a slot on the top so that it rests on the roll bar..Seems to work and you can't see it.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it into the dealer today since I have a few days off. The service manager came out and took a look at it, then we went up and looked at the solar rubi and freedom that they had on the lot and both of them had similar issues. I mentioned the TSB and they looked it up on my VIN and it didn't show up. They are calling someone, some kind of higher up, to see if the problem has been addressed. The Service guy who owns a Jeep said this is the first year that the tops are single wall above the front two seats. I'm going in the morning to have a few things fixed and he said he should know something about the top then. I'll post what I find out tomorrow.

Thanks Mac and LILRDJP for the heads up on the TSB.

James

G

·
0 Posts
The Service guy who owns a Jeep said this is the first year that the tops are single wall above the front two seats.
I noticed this on the Rubi I test drove a couple weeks ago. On the highway the top seemed to almost flap slightly in the area above the front seats. I remember my '89 YJ's hardtop was a very strong fibreglass unit throughout. It almost seemed as though the new roof was made of plastic instead of fibreglass, although I didn't take the time to study the entire unit. Have they changed the design to a weaker roof?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I brought it back in this morning and they said there is nothing about the tops from the central office. The back half of the top is very sturdy but the front I can actually push out on. I don't think it is a fiberglass rather a new type of composite similar to fiberglass, I could be wrong though.

I'm gonna keep my eye on it and see if it get's any worse. It's annoying to pull out of the driveway in the morning and have all the water pouring down on the windshield.

James

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
James said:
... I don't think it is a fiberglass rather a new type of composite similar to fiberglass, I could be wrong though.

James
I think you are right, I was hit by a truck and my top was cracked when I took it in for estimates most of the shops told me I would need a new top since it was not fiberglass but a new type of material like fiberglass just like you said :wink:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was running the other day with the doors off and hard top on, my dad was with me and noticed that the hard top was actually flapping going down the road at 60-65. I think they should have stuck with their double wall tops.

James

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
James said:
I was running the other day with the doors off and hard top on, my dad was with me and noticed that the hard top was actually flapping going down the road at 60-65. I think they should have stuck with their double wall tops.

James
take your Rubi to the dealer with the doors off..
and take him for a ride show the service mangr
it flapps....!

save the paperwork....

i had my top replaced due to a stress crack...
they jumped right on getting me a new one.
:wink:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I remember in 2000 reading that the next hard tops would be made of a recycled plastic composite material and weigh much less than previous hard tops...

My CJ-7's hard top seemed to weigh 300-400 lbs. and didn't flex at all, my `97 hard top was pretty heavy (lighter than the CJ's) but didn't flex, my `00 hard top was lighter than the `97's and didn't flex, and my `03 is lighter than all before it, but I haven't noticed any sagging--yet!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts