Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hard top removal with ....an overhead crane system.

just got done installing my elec hoist for hard top removal...
its set up like an overhead crane have 7' of travel now i can move it to the wall by myself.

kinda overdone but hey tis for a Rubi!

http://community.webshots.com/album/64393859rsyAos

mac

G

·
0 Posts
I really like this!! You put alot of thought into it. I would have never thought to put it on garage door rails to move it out of the way. You should patten a platform for the electric hoist that are available... :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
4x4mac, that is awsome, you should make a right up of that to let everyone know how you did it, what you used and where you bought it...Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
bought a small elec hoist 400# size for lifting off by myself..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=40765

got it from harbor frieght off their net web site cost was 59.oo
after including shipping was 79.oo
i know this is a cheap place to buy tools normally would never shop there , however i have to say this is one quality tool.

i bought garage door track and hardware to make my motor tray..
approx cost was 100.oo seems pricey but garage doors that roll up are pricey..

2'x2' x3/4'' plywood actually scrap piece quality stuff not warped.

total time to construct .. about 45 mins
using the power outlet for a opener . never installed one for the single garage.. dont really need one.

i still need to construct the lifting T handle ...should be done next week will post pics then.

i always try to find an easy way to do things.. my thought on building this was to move that top out of the way.. with a 7' track ..easy now!

Mac (A.S.C.E # 333431)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Terrific. You have given me an idea for mine. I already bought an easylift from the internet. It is just for jeep tops. They recommended I hang it from a piece of plywood on top of the ceiling joists of the garage for extra height, and let the cable come through a small hole in the ceiling. NOW I entend to buy some tracks and run them on the top of the joists as you did. I will open a long slot instead of a hole, and lay insulation over it in the winter; maybe even some cheap molding. Very clever of you, and THANKS for sharing it.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anonymous said:
bought a small elec hoist 400# size for lifting off by myself..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=40765

got it from harbor frieght off their net web site cost was 59.oo
after including shipping was 79.oo
i know this is a cheap place to buy tools normally would never shop there , however i have to say this is one quality tool.

i bought garage door track and hardware to make my motor tray..
approx cost was 100.oo seems pricey but garage doors that roll up are pricey..

2'x2' x3/4'' plywood actually scrap piece quality stuff not warped.

total time to construct .. about 45 mins
using the power outlet for a opener . never installed one for the single garage.. dont really need one.

i still need to construct the lifting T handle ...should be done next week will post pics then.

i always try to find an easy way to do things.. my thought on building this was to move that top out of the way.. with a 7' track ..easy now!

Mac (A.S.C.E # 333431)

opppssss forgot to log on ..
mac :roll:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,064 Posts
I have the same HF hoist for mine.

jimmy, this has to be a new low, pulling up a 7 year old post just to pad :lildevil:

I joined ROF in Jan 04 when I got my rubi, but lurked here before then. The forum has really changed. There was alot of learning and experimenting then. Now the TJ/LJ section is stale as there is not much new. That is why I do write-ups on things not covered before.

too busy trying to get that minivan engine to work :lildevil:

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
geeez that was a good find

you now are seeing a new pattern

it`s called grouping
:laugh: :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.