Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give alot of the credit for this idea to my Buddy Jim who drives the white TJ in a lot of our wheeling pics.

He made a hand throttle using a BMX brake, instead of a shift lever, and made a custom handle. Because I have a very unique shifter, I decided to mount the bmx brake upside down on my shifter. I ran the brake cable through the shift boot and through the rubber grommet above the gas pedal. I then stripped off a significant amount of the cable cover, drilled a small hole through the bracket that the gas pedal and cruise control cables pass through and looped it around the side which has the cruise control and used 2 wire fasteners do hickey to secure the loop. I used 2 incase one slipped. Overboard, but worth it. The level of control on the gas is extremely nice
Here are some pics

Top view of wire clamps

dead on pic

Brake lever on shifter

In case you are wondering, the shifter is African Blackwood and was made by a person on JU.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
looks great!!!!!!

Elff.
i wana see it working on the trails in MOAB!
thats in UT.
:wink:

mac

G

·
0 Posts
Does it hit the dash when in 1st, 3rd and 5th? Looks like it would hit? Other then that great idea, looks much easier to use then the other bicycle shifter everyone else uses.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Reminds me of the pistol grip shifters!!!! Humm good idea there to pistol grip with a trigger for the hand throttle?!?!? Does look better than the bike shifter tho.. I like it

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a good inch between the dash and the brake lever in 1,3,5.
The key is to use a 2 finger BMX brake lever because they are smaller. I think a Mountain bike brake lever would have hit.

The control is very nice and smooth. Nov 1st will be the day I test it out.

Moab is in UT?
Is that even in America?
:)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nice set up......I am going with the TWC system but if I was not I would definately copy that set up.

Utah................Damn long drive ... but definately worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The TWC setup will not work as a hand throttle for driving.
Just like Cruise control, the control of the gas is not precise enough.
It is a good solution for rpm control for RPM and winching, but not for rockcrawling.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
elff said:
The TWC setup will not work as a hand throttle for driving.
Just like Cruise control, the control of the gas is not precise enough.
It is a good solution for rpm control for RPM and winching, but not for rockcrawling.

Very True.......Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
interesting that you have an additional spring on your throttle linkage. I do not have one on mine.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Additional?
Isnt that the only one there and it snaps the throttle body closed when the gas pedal or cruise control is not opening it.

I think you might want that spring.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
There are 2 springs in your photo. One is on the main shaft of the butterfly valve itself and the other goes from a bracket on the header to the ball end on the throttle assembly. I only have the spring on the valve shaft myself.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I have both springs on my throttle body as well, maybe it comes with the cruise option?

I like the the set-up elff, but I like to be able to set my crawl speed and have it stay at a fixed value when traversing really bumpy areas. That is why I used a ratcheting bicycle shifter instead. The other thing I did was to use a bicycle brake cable bolt that has the hole in the shaft as my connection point - I threaded it into the throttle body butterfly valve bracket. This allows the cable to slide freely in the bolt when the gas peddle is being used.

Let us know how well that bad boy works after you test it out.

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken,

2 good points, in driving any vehicle, on or offroad, I NEVER want the gas continually on. To me that is a safety hazard and a big reason why I did not go with the shifter setup. If something happens, I do not want to fumble to release the gas. Call me paronoid but I want the gas off when I let go, IMMEDIATELY.

I took a couple of more pics to illustrate how I pass the cable through the bracket near the throttle body lever. I used the same brake bolt combo you are talking about. [i forget the actual name of that] The cable I used has a shifter housing which is much stiffer than a brake cable with the metal lining going length wise. Brake cables have the metal lining spiraling. By using a shifter housing, you eliminate any binding. It is also necessary to use ferrals on each end of the housing to ensure a smooth operation.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have cruise as well, but I also have an automatic. Does anyone else not have the straight spring from the black bracket to the assembly?

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Looks good elff.

I still like to have a fixed speed when crawling over really bumpy terrain. That way I am not loading and unloading the drivetrain everytime I hit a bump which causes me change change my throttle. I have not found changing speed to be a problem yet - I keep my thumb right on top of the throttle lever.

I too went through the plate and used the same entry point you did for the cable. However, I was talking about the connection point at the throttle body. If you look at your cruise cable, you will notice the cable slides freely through the connection point and cannot get caught or bind when using the gas peddle. It looks like you have a fixed connection point and it might bind, twist or loop, and possibly get caught - it might not either. I tapped a hole for the bolt in the throttle body linkage and then used a bolt that has a hole across the middle of the shaft. This allows the cable to slide freely when using the gas - it will not raise and loop. That is what I was talking about.

Looks good and please let us know how it works,

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AAA
I understand what you are saying now. Between the loop in my cable and the amount of space the cable can travel inside the brake lever, I have not run into any binding.
But.....
Your idea is pretty darn slick. I am going to look into doing that.
What did you use to prevent the cable from sliding through the bolt hole?

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I used an aluminum crimp-on cable stop designed for a brake cable. The guys at the bicycle shop thought I was nuts when I told them what I was going to do and asked them to see their parts bins for brake and shifter components.

I will snap a picture tonight when I get home to show you how I set it up.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Sorry I took so long, it has been raining everytime I am off and it is daylight.

Here is a picture showing the bolt with the cable running through it and the crimp-on connector. I drilled and tapped the butterfly valve bracket. Then I threaded the bolt through and used a small nut on the other side to adjust (hold) the bolt at the correct angle so the cable would slide freely when the gas peddle is used.

The cruise cable was disconnected so you could see how I connected the hand throttle cable.

Ken

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I still can't believe I am the only person missing that darn spring :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Lothos, mine went missing on my 97 and didn't seem to make a difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts