Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My insane state of California is always trying to catch people driving while distracted. I’m retired now, but in 2016 a guy on fatal numbers of meth T-boned my truck on a bicycle and was killed. I was sued for $20,000,000. When all the facts came out I was cleared and a judge convinced them to drop the case. I was off for 10 months with full pay. They kept me on ice for threat of getting my coworkers called in to court. I had to give a deposition. I returned to work and worked for two more years because I didn’t want to go out that way. The police and company handled it well. I would have been in huge trouble if I was driving while distracted.

I hear you on preferring a microphone. I agree. I think you understand why I asked about a hands free option.

·
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I actually don’t expect to hear much information in response to this thread. That would be consistent with my internet searching. I’m basically throwing the question to the wall and see what sticks. Here’s what I’ve learned.

There are a few ham radios that seem to offer the Bluetooth technology. The Yaesu FTM-400XDR offers a Bluetooth add on that seems easy to install. Yaesu upgraded the add on circuit board so it seems like a technology they are willing to push forward. They discontinued their proprietary headset which doesn’t exactly promote confidence, but there are headsets such as Blueparrot that truckers say work well.

I’m sure there is a bright future for Bluetooth supported ham radio. I’ll probably do the add on eventually, but I realize it’s a specialty tool with limitations.

·
Administrator
10,775 Posts
My insane state of California is always trying to catch people driving while distracted. I’m retired now, but in 2016 a guy on fatal numbers of meth T-boned my truck on a bicycle and was killed. I was sued for $20,000,000. When all the facts came out I was cleared and a judge convinced them to drop the case. I was off for 10 months with full pay. .....
The guy was on drugs, ran into you and you got sued :surprise:? That's amazing.

I actually don’t expect to hear much information in response to this thread. That would be consistent with my internet searching. I’m basically throwing the question to the wall and see what sticks. Here’s what I’ve learned.

There are a few ham radios that seem to offer the Bluetooth technology. The Yaesu FTM-400XDR offers a Bluetooth add on that seems easy to install. Yaesu upgraded the add on circuit board so it seems like a technology they are willing to push forward. They discontinued their proprietary headset which doesn’t exactly promote confidence, but there are headsets such as Blueparrot that truckers say work well.

I’m sure there is a bright future for Bluetooth supported ham radio. I’ll probably do the add on eventually, but I realize it’s a specialty tool with limitations.
Now I know why you are looking into this. There was some noise in the ham community here about a hand-free ordinance (forgot where) aimed primarily at cell phone users but could impact any radio user. I think there was some pushback about exempting hams - I can't remember what happened.

I had a Yaesu 2M radio in the Jeep for a while - it had a very small remote head and was marketed to the bike crowd, it had Bluetooth for headset use. It was so difficult to use I sold it - even figuring out how to turn it on was a challenge if I hadn't used it in a while.

Maybe some touring bike forums have some headset info?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts