Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spent the day wheeling all over the trails off of sand flats road (hell's revenge, part of fins 'n things, porcupine rim etc.) with no problems at all. i decided to take a run up baby lion's back. i get to the top and find a spot to turn around. i try to put it into reverse to turn around. the AUTOMATIC transmission started grinding and whirling and it stayed in drive. i start shifting to different gears, EVERYTHING was still drive, nothing else works - and it is still grinding and whirling.

since i am cross ways on top of BLB, drive isnt going to work unless i want to plummet over the edge. i try to shift through the transfer case gears and it is bound up because you have to be in nuetral to get out of 4LO. after about 5 minutes of shifting i get reverse to work, but the grinding STILL hasnt stopped. its moving, but it doesnt like it. i turn around, i shift into into drive (still grinding and whirling) and i drive it that way down to the bottom.

i drove steel bender the next day to test it out and now the only left over symptoms are sporadic; the transfer case shifter binds up going to and from every gear, and now there is a faint noise when shifting the transmission. also, the problem is much worse on uneven ground.

here is what i have that may give clues:

OME 2" suspension lift - NO t-case lowering kit
1" Body Lift - WITH t-case shifter adapter
NO motor mount lift

any guesses or solutions?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
WOW hmm the only thing that I can think of is that perhaps 4lo wasn't fully engaged... or it slipped out of 4 lo a little. I have had both of those happen before and it causes a disgusting grinding noise. If not those then i'd say you better head to the shop real soon because that is REAL bad.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
My guess is that the tranny ran a little dry while driving uphill and that is that.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
sounds like a tranny fluid problem...
proof is on steep hillside your tranny stopped working..
try adding a little fluid..
happned to me..slight problem on very steep uphill grade..
got to level ground no symptoms ever again.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only thing is, i drove steeps hills all day long with no problems. this was much less steep than this one on hell's revenge.

and if you'll note, the problem is still somewhat present. the fluid is only a tad low - not much.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
the only thing is, i drove steeps hills all day long with no problems. this was much less steep than this one on hell's revenge.

and if you'll note, the problem is still somewhat present. the fluid is only a tad low - not much.
mike..
seems these trannys are very sensitive to fluid levels.
im not an expert..but had a smiular exper with my YJ auto tranny..
cavatation is what it seemed like in that case it spit out extra fluid
thought i was a gonner.. let it cool down.. was fine.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I don't know guys. I'm not convinced Mike's problem isn't in his TC. IIRC, the auto problem reports didn't mention grinding and whirring. On the other hand, he had just run a steep section. But the comment about the TC shifter binding up afterwards make me believe something's off in that.

Mike: Have you checked your TC shift adapter? Is everythng still lined up properly? If the TC is not fully engaged, the tranny might sound a little off when shifting.

Regardless, have it checked by a Jeep dealership. They may not be able to find anything, but you'll have the issue on record to support any future warranty repairs.

Memo to self: Kick own ass for not buying 5 speed. Repeat 5 times.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Mike Holmes said:

Gawd, I love Moab. But enough about me. :D

Mike, if the fluid's a little low, add some to put you level, then add 1 pint over. I seem to recall a post on JU that 1 pint over helped, but more than that caused problems.

Jerry

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm gonna guess it is the TRANSFER CASE....not the tranny.

I've had the 4WD lever slip out of 4low once and it made a grinding sound then dead (no movement) with continued grinding sound. I re-engaged into 4low (pulled up) and all was good.

G

·
0 Posts
Another thought in the whole process here. Agree symptoms point towards a 4lo engagement problem. Transmission could have suffered a cavitation problem that forced an air pocket into the chambers, all you would need to do is stick a checkball open and the tranny would get completely confused as to what it was supposed to do. Mike did you have any sensation in reverse as to which direction it wanted to move at the top? I know you said it stayed in drive, was this because you couldn't physically shift it into reverse, or even in reverse it wanted to go forward? If either of those are true it could be the Tranny. Also when you got to the bottom did you put the t-case in neutral and try drive and reverse to see any reaction (grinding in one or the other)? That would at least give you an idea as to which side the problem could be on. Last question did you check fluid levels after incident?

Ron

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PBR Stitch said:
Mike did you have any sensation in reverse as to which direction it wanted to move at the top? I know you said it stayed in drive, was this because you couldn't physically shift it into reverse, or even in reverse it wanted to go forward? If either of those are true it could be the Tranny. Also when you got to the bottom did you put the t-case in neutral and try drive and reverse to see any reaction (grinding in one or the other)? That would at least give you an idea as to which side the problem could be on. Last question did you check fluid levels after incident?

Ron
the tranny shifter went into all positions (park, reverse, neutral, etc) but was always in drive as far as i could tell. because i was facing down a slope over a cliff, i would only inch foward to see what gear i was really in. i was trying to not get myself into a worse spot - the point of no return so to speak. at the bottom, i was able to get it into park (still was grinding while in park) and 2WD and just shut it down.

i re-adjusted the t-case shifter bracket (from the body lift), and it shifts more consistently now than it was. not very smooth from 4LO to 4HI. i have to go all the way to 2WD and then back to 4HI for the light to go on. HOWEVER, the auto tranny still makes some goofy noises when shifting (esp. into reverse), like an electric-kitty-purr. it didn't do that before this episode.

on a side note. my tranny fluid dipstick is the craziest thing i have ever seen. when its hot, it registers just above the cold(er) mark. when its cold, it registers over the hot mark....i think i need a priest to exercise the demons from my rubicon.

BTW, check my reader's ride for a couple lame pics from the trip. we took over 80 and they all sucked.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I had the exact same problem after I did my lift. I got under the jeep, loosened a nut at the rear of the tranny (the linkage) let it pop into place and tightened it up. I still have to push up past park sometimes to get the key out, but will readjust after I do the belly up skid and body lift.

Might check that out and see if it's the issue.

Brian

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well good news. it was all a figment of my imagination and there is nothing wrong with the transmission or t-case because the dealership can't replicate the problem. why did i even bother.

:bad-words:

G

·
0 Posts
Ask to take a test drive with the tech, then show him the problem. I have found that by doing this I get the tech alone and with me and once he agrees that there is something going on then that is that.

G

·
0 Posts
Is it still driving the same way as before? I would try the tech thing. If the problem has gone away it could have been an air pocket. I would still keep a good eye on it. At least it is now in the computer as having been in for a problem.

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts