Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a winch to install so I'll need a front bumper...I'm resto-modding a 1973 Chevy 3/4 T 4x4 and I fabbed a front bumper that is also an air tank with a hitch hiding behind it so I can run the winch portable front or rear...not sure if I want to do that on the Jeep...not sure about any other mods til I get out on the serious stuff...what do you think??

·
3,779 Posts
I've seen a few bumpers set up as air tanks, but they are usually a rear bumper because it is made from 4 -6 inch diameter tubing - that doesn't look as good on the front. For my jeeps I like to have a dedicated winch up front and good recovery points both front and rear. Starting mods should be additional skids and rock protections (like diff covers).

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
It's a JL Rubicon, so it is pretty beefy and good already. Ground Clearance always helps, and I know you can do a lot with 33s, but 35" tires always seemed to be the magic spot for me. 37" tires add additional stress, that may not initially break stuff, but it reduces the life of components like U-Joints and require additional and more diligent maintenance.

So a small lift with 35s would be 1 suggestion from me. Heck the Mopar one might be good enough and then be partially warrantied and not cause other warranty issues.

The rest I would say would be to spend on recovery gear.
First aid kit, water and snacks. Being able to repair a punctured tire. I have seen people do 2 on the same day, so 1 or 2 Tire Puncture repair kits and some type of Air Compressor, whether portable or permanently mounted is a good idea.
Winch, and bumper to support it, I recommend Synthetic line for safety, tree saver, shackles, both metal and soft, a decent tool kit with all of the common size wrenches, screwdrivers etc, JB Weld, Radios for communication.

Thats a good start.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Do portable winches work? I have seen a lot of people with them but never seen one in use.
I know you can mount whatever winch you want on a tray and wiring would be easy but I have never used my winch for a straight pull. A anchor point has never been directly in front of me.
So using a portable you are side loading the receiver, are they strong enough for a serious pull?

Nice JL.
Snacks, always take snacks.

·
2,111 Posts
Congrats on your Rubi and a late welcome to the forum.

I'm in So Ca in Lakewood near the 91 and the 605. I'll be heading out the third weekend in January to above Jawbone Canyon in the Mojave Desert. This particular camp is hard to get to for your average desert RAVE'rs. That's why I like it. Add to this full cell service. I like the safety aspect of this. Worst case scenario, I can run out into the night with my guns and call for help 😁 You are welcome to come.
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Tire Sky Wheel Car Vehicle

Sky Mountain Tent Bonfire Camping

·
Registered
210 Posts
[/QUOTE]
It's a JL Rubicon, so it is pretty beefy and good already. Ground Clearance always helps, and I know you can do a lot with 33s, but 35" tires always seemed to be the magic spot for me. 37" tires add additional stress, that may not initially break stuff, but it reduces the life of components like U-Joints and require additional and more diligent maintenance.

So a small lift with 35s would be 1 suggestion from me. Heck the Mopar one might be good enough and then be partially warrantied and not cause other warranty issues.

First aid kit, water and snacks. Being able to repair a punctured tire. I have seen people do 2 on the same day, so 1 or 2 Tire Puncture repair kits and some type of Air Compressor, whether portable or permanently mounted is a good idea.
Winch, and bumper to support it, I recommend Synthetic line for safety, tree saver, shackles, both metal and soft, a decent tool kit with all of the common size wrenches, screwdrivers etc, JB Weld, Radios for communication.

Thats a good start.
Well by the looks of his Rubicon it already has the factory 35" tire option (look at the extensions on the flares), so it is already good to go. Nice Jeep!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen a few bumpers set up as air tanks, but they are usually a rear bumper because it is made from 4 -6 inch diameter tubing - that doesn't look as good on the front. For my jeeps I like to have a dedicated winch up front and good recovery points both front and rear. Starting mods should be additional skids and rock protections (like diff covers).
Thank you mouse...I like the idea of the tube bumper out back and not in the front, think I'll pursue that...ordered a front winch bumper so good to go there...the next few months will be fabricating a complete skid and diff covers like you suggested...good stuff, Sir!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thats a good start.
Thank you elff for more good stuff! I got the X-Recon package which includes 35" tires and such from the factory so I'm good to go there...I'm making a list and checking it twice and so far all you've mentioned are on it...my winch does not have synthetic line and am investigating replacing the steel...

Which radio do you think would be best, I have some CB's sitting around, one to mount and some portables but there are others out there, I know...what radios are folks using now...I've been away from the 4x4 scene for years and am eager to get back in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do portable winches work? I have seen a lot of people with them but never seen one in use.
I know you can mount whatever winch you want on a tray and wiring would be easy but I have never used my winch for a straight pull. A anchor point has never been directly in front of me.
So using a portable you are side loading the receiver, are they strong enough for a serious pull?

Nice JL.
Snacks, always take snacks.
Good points, Sir...I also have never seen one in use and even though I fabricated the set-up, I never actually used it and it is in parts right now...would be an interesting exercise to try and determine the side load you mentioned and how that would be different from side loading the winch bumper setup...in my portable set up the receiver is attached to the frame behind the bumper so I assume the weak point would be along the hitch/receiver length, right? In that case, the longer the attachment combo, the weaker the setup, I'm thinking.

Snacks/water always close by on the trail!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Moab - Fins 'n Things, Hell's Revenge, Elephant Hill, Poison Spider Mesa, Gold Bar Rim, Seven Mile Rim.....Restful trails - Tusher Tunnel, Secret Spire, Long Canyon
Jawbone could be interesting...let me know as the date In January approaches...that's a good long Moab list to start with and I haven't even been there yet!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well by the looks of his Rubicon it already has the factory 35" tire option (look at the extensions on the flares), so it is already good to go. Nice Jeep!
[/QUOTE]
Yes Al, good observation! See my above post and thank you for the kind words, it's still brand new for now!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts