Rubicon Owners Forum banner

GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon

55K views 256 replies 37 participants last post by  Mud Machine 
#1 ·
I finished putting a GR8 Half Top on my LJ and thought I would share it. All in all the entire project went pretty well. Only A few minor setbacks along the way but nothing to serious.

They have a standard and an extended version of the top which is 2 1/2" longer. This is the extended top.

One of the toughest parts was making sure to drill the holes in the correct spot to run the roll cage through. You only get one chance so you have to get it right.

The bulk head fits nice and tight. Sealed it first with camper tape and then with a urethane sealant. The factory drain holes and seat bolt holes drain the bed quickly when it rains.

Inside view of cage going through the top.

See less See more
Reactions: RichVan
#7 ·
Allagash said:
That looks fantastic. How do you take the top off? Or does it never come off again?

I have tube clamps near the top that you can't see in the pictures. Two bolts at the top and the two bolts at the tub and the bars come off. Then you can remove the top and reinstall the rear tubing and you can run topless. Takes about 15 minutes max.

#54 ·
I have tube clamps near the top that you can't see in the pictures. Two bolts at the top and the two bolts at the tub and the bars come off. Then you can remove the top and reinstall the rear tubing and you can run topless. Takes about 15 minutes max.
I have the same Jeep you do! I bought it last year in October because, I couldn't find a Scrambler, and I like the Unlimited! I was wondering, where did you get these? I am going to do what you have done to your jeep. I am going to start buying the small parts one at a time until I have them all. I am also saving all of my money until I have about $3000. I think that should be enough. I will start with these "clamps" if you can tell me where to get them. Thanks

#9 ·
I put a tonneau cover on it:

Reactions: RichVan
#12 ·
gprguy said:
Very cool. Modify a bestop tonneau or something?

That's exactly what I did. Just had it cut and stitched a little shorter.

#13 ·
Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it very much.

#15 ·
evilc said:
looks awesome..you should do the fold down tailgate...totally complete the truck look...

Thanks evilc....

I am actually planning on doing that. They make kits to convert my existing tailgate to a drop down but my plan is to use a CJ tailgate instead.

#16 ·
Installed 5.13's and they are AWESOME! I barely have to give it any throttle anymore. Found myself speeding because I was still gauging my speed by the sound that my engine used to make. I broke them in as suggested and then gave them the test. No problem chirping tires from a stop now. It feels like I am driving a normal vehicle and it no longer feels like a brick with a tent strapped to its ***. The improvement in acceleration is amazing. The tranny shifts much better as well. The only downside is that I waited so long to do it.

Celebration is in order.... :beerchug:

Went out and tested the 5.13's off road and was very impressed. Wheeled on rocks, in mud, attacked a hill climb, obstacle course, did some major articulation as well as some technical trails. Didn't need low range all day.

#18 ·
I've been wanting to do this badly, but haven't seen the "extended version" in person. I sit with the seat all the way back on its slides and then leaned back a little. I'm no gangster but am far from upright.

Is it possible to sit in this position with this top?

#22 ·
maximumrob said:
I've been wanting to do this badly, but haven't seen the "extended version" in person. I sit with the seat all the way back on its slides and then leaned back a little. I'm no gangster but am far from upright.

Is it possible to sit in this position with this top?

I have my seat all the way back in the slide and reclined in the third position. The seat is still at least two inches away from the rear window.

#23 ·
gregert12 said:
How did you know where to cut into the hardtop?

I didn't cut the original top for this. The half top is an aftermarket top made by "GR8Tops".

#26 ·
Yup. A silver sharpie works well on the rubberized coating inside, but I could only get a little over half of the circumference marked. Lined up the hole saw the best I could based on that, and it worked out fine. The grommets allow you a little bit of wiggle room, but if you were to be off significantly (probably 1/8"-1/4") it could be a really bad day.

I suppose if I were to do it over again I'd mark it the same way, drill a pilot hole, and then put the top back up in place. Then take a sharpie and mark through the pilot hole on the end of the roll cage stub. That'd let me know if I was off any significant amount.

Mud Machine - Jeep's looking fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.