Rubicon Owners Forum banner
161 - 180 of 257 Posts
Discussion starter · #162 ·
I'm old school and nothing replaces a V8 for me. Never been much of a turbo fan (maybe lack of experience with them) but did build a supercharged engine in the past that I had in a Chevy pick-up. 500 HP and 40" tires. Yeeehaaa. :driving:

Discussion starter · #164 ·
Well here's where I'm at so far. Thing have been going pretty smooth to this point.

Attachments

One question, no fitment for the soundbar anymore? I really don't want to lose mine. Your LJ looks very, very nice.

Discussion starter · #166 ·
Thank you!!

No, but I have read some shorter people get away with making it fit in the front of the rollbar. Here is what I did with the option speaker bulkhead. It can be cut to put any combination of speakers you wish.

Reactions: CaptRon
Discussion starter · #167 ·
Exhaust is built and the body is ready to go back on. Clocked the transfer case and trimmed a couple casting tabs on it and will now be able to get away with no body lift. Time to put the rest of it back together as we wait for the radiator.

Put the engine as far back as possible.

looking good.

Are you still using stock skid? I don't see a skid in your sig What cats did you use... universal ? they look smaller than the stock 4.0 units

When you were chasing down leaks in the top did you ever do anything more than the stick on rain gutter? I'm hoping to have some time to get my Gr8T top on and looking at cutting a rain gutter into it or glassing something on to have an effective rain gutter before I prime it(exterior is unfinished so I can paint to match body).

Discussion starter · #169 ·
I used the original skid which worked out nicely and universal cats.

It wasn't me that put on the drip rail. It was "Semper Fi" who posted that in this tread.

Post a picture when you get it painted.

I used the original skid which worked out nicely and universal cats.

It wasn't me that put on the drip rail. It was "Semper Fi" who posted that in this tread.

My bad... do you think the lack of a rain gutter/channel is a big deal?

I do have the rain gutter on and, it works well. I wish GR8TOPs would do something more like the original top. The best thing you can do to help stop leaks is, black silicon. I have that on my top and it works great!!

I do have the rain gutter on and, it works well. I wish GR8TOPs would do something more like the original top. The best thing you can do to help stop leaks is, black silicon. I have that on my top and it works great!!
It looks like the top is molded with a gutter bump but no channel. A little disappointing. I plan to rout a groove in there and reglass /fill it before I prime it....

though this project is OBE at the moment...the roof is leaking on our screened in porch so after I reframe and fix he crap tie in to the house Ill start a thread on installing my top.

Discussion starter · #173 ·
My bad... do you think the lack of a rain gutter/channel is a big deal?
I would agree that it should be helpful but I don't have one. I added a strip of thick insulation tape in the upper door channel between the door and top. After trying a couple types of tape I found a nice quality tape that did the trick for me. Without any insulation tape don't be surprised if you have leaks in the upper part of door or at least the front upper corner.

Discussion starter · #174 ·
Had a couple setbacks. The harness from Novak was only for the engine and trany and we neglected to check that when it was shipped. We were under the impression that it was a complete harness. Especially after all the perimeter questions they asked me. Why ask if it isn't part of the harness?? Had to rip it open and make some additions using some of the stock Jeep wiring. Noting major but a time consuming setback non the less.

Next set back sucked. While finishing up the final wiring and connecting we had an extra connector. This ended up going to the trany to get a signal from the “internal reluctor ring”. When I had the trany rebuilt I did not have this installed because Novak said I didn’t need it since my transfercase sends the signal. Well, the only signal it sends is in no way compatibleto my Chevy ECM. Mainly just the speedometer now. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that I may have misunderstood them but I’m pretty confident I didn’t. In the end it doesn’t matter much it needed to be added. Had to unhook everything and pull the trany back out. Thankfully the body wasn’t bolted back down yet. Back to the trany shop to get the reluctor ring installed. Trany is now back in and we have got past it. I will try to get some pictures up soon.

Discussion starter · #175 ·
Good news!!

I found what I need to make it until this project is finished. Not a minute too soon.

Reactions: BLACK RUBI
Discussion starter · #177 ·
Sorry, keeping that a secret until I'm finished.

Discussion starter · #178 ·
More Novak fun. Here we go.

I ordered a radiator from Novak on August 3rd. They said it was in stock and would ship right away and be there in under a week. Monday October 12th I receive an email that my radiator has shipped. You can only imagine my WTF!!! This if only after we had called them 4-5 time during the month to get on this. They promised multiple times it would arrive and then finally said for sure by Labor Day. Didn’t happen. We also ordered a tachometer module so the Jeep could communicate with the trucks computer. This was a different order and they again said it was in stock and we ended up receiving it 3 weeks later as well. We also encountered more harness issues that they appear to have no knowledge about, none. Most likely someone else is building the harnesses and they are just reselling them. No help with our issues at all. Novak has cost me the most delays in this project by far than anything else. Nice to talk to but I’ll leave it at that.

Good news is that it did start it and it ran!!!!!!!!!!! Didn’t’ run it long due to no radiator but it ran!!!!!!!!!!! The radiator is the final piece before a test run!!!!!!! The test run will let us know if it shifts, overheats, misses, or any other potential problems that will likely come up.

Just typing this makes my heart race. This Jeep addiction is terrible!!

Discussion starter · #179 ·
Well, here we go again.

Got the radiator in and all set to go. Took a little modifying to get Novak’s direct fit radiator set up in but it’s in. Fired it up and it sounded and ran great. Then the computer shut it down. It thought that there was not any oil pressure and went into shut down mode.

Talked to Novak and they don’t seem to know anything about the computer, etc. even though it was originally programed by them using the perimeters they requested such as tire size, sensors in use, gear ratio, who’s air conditioning and many other specific question. They are not able to answer any questions and quite frankly they don’t appear to know anything. My feelings are I’m either one of the first they did this with, they farmed it out or the in house person is no longer there. First they say to take it to the dealer to have it flashed. WHAT!!! I’m pretty sure my dealer doesn’t have a program for a LS-III in a Jeep. Eventually they ask to have it sent to them and I will have it back in two weeks for sure. Well it’s been three weeks and it’s not here yet. Every time they have given me a time it has been significantly longer. Not to mention my problems with them saying it was in stock and it wasn’t as mentioned in an earlier post. Now all I can think of is……will it even work when it comes back.

Man, I sure am getting tired of them costing me time and significant amounts of money over and over again. Sorry Novak but I am recommending that everyone consider Advanced Adaptors if you plan on doing this or anything like it for that matter.

So it’s the same story – Work, work, work and wait for Novak. Work, work, work and wait for Novak.

I am in great need of some Jeep therapy. I hope this is solved soon. :banghead:

Reactions: mac
This sounds very similar to Frank's experience with Novak

Reactions: johncanfield
161 - 180 of 257 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.