Rubicon Owners Forum banner
241 - 257 of 257 Posts
Discussion starter · #242 ·
Ok, I took my Jeep to VL Performance for a tune. Keep in mind that this engine is completely stock aside from a set of headers. My expectations were reasonable and was just basically hoping for maybe just a little better initial throttle response. Max horsepower is fun when you are at those RPM’s but most of the time we are at the idle to low RPM side.

Based on one of the runs I saw the sheet on they were able to squeeze out an additional 60+ ft lbs. of torque and an additional 40+ hp from my stock engine. At 2,000 RPM’s there was an approximately 30% more torque than stock and at 3,000 RPM’s there was about 25% more torque than stock. The gains they made and the smoothness of the torque curve are nothing short of impressive. Way to tune it!!

Drivability is not even the same. The throttle response and power from a dead stop has me thinking I modified the internals of the engine. Damn, I’m impressed. So crisp and efficient I just want to take a few days off and gas it. I have not tested the high RPM performance yet but that will be doing that today I assure you.

Overall I am way more than satisfied and equally impressed with the tune that was done. Time to hit the trails.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

Discussion starter · #244 ·
Yes, just from the tune. Keep in mind that fuel, timing and various other perimeters were changed. Amazes me that this much extra torque is just sitting there waiting to be found. I will also have to use premium ongoing but that is a fair trade off to me. As soon as I have the Dyno sheet available I will post it up.

Discussion starter · #245 ·
Man, I just have to share this. Every damn time I hit the key this thing makes me smile. The Jeep has always done this to me but after the V8 swap I just can't get enough. Some much more fun to drive in all conditions. I could not ask for more.

Then this happens..... I actually would never have even thought of getting a tune as I thought it was running amazing as it was. I did a random favor for a stranger one day and he ended up owning a business with a Dyno and has been asking me to bring the Jeep in ever since so he could tweak the LS. The changes this made in throttle response and low end just amaze me. It takes noticeably less throttle to get to speed. High RPM well let’s just say, as always.....Yeeehaaa!!

That is sweet, free HP and torque, well not free but without buying a bunch of parts- the upcharge for premium is a cost but those are really good numbers.

congrats

Discussion starter · #248 ·
6.0 LS / 4L80e / 5.13 Gears / 35's

Here are the first 3 pulls. Red is the baseline #1, green #2 and blue is #3. Top is torque and bottom is HP

Attachments

Discussion starter · #249 ·
Check out these pictures I found of the truck I built back in the day. Damn it was fun. Shaved handles and emblems, custom made stainless steel everywhere. Mufflers were not available in stainless at the time so I just wrapped them in stainless. I mud dragged it, trail rode it, car showed it and drove it daily.

Attachments

That was a really nice truck. They used to be everywhere, but are starting to become harder to find now

Discussion starter · #251 ·
Check this out.

Discussion starter · #253 ·
Picking up the pace a bit.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #255 ·
I asked a landowner if I could cut across his land with a group of 14 Jeeps. Look what he put up over his "No Trespassing" sign. It pays to ask!!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #257 ·
241 - 257 of 257 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.