Rubicon Owners Forum banner
201 - 220 of 257 Posts
Discussion starter · #201 ·
What do you know, a tire that actually is true to size.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #205 ·
^^^ What John said.

Discussion starter · #206 ·
Got all five finished. All the bolts are in, anti-seized and torqued. That was fun.

Discussion starter · #207 ·
Ok, after almost a year and a half of one step forward and four back it's finally finished!!!! I've got some good test miles on the road so far. It does have some minor drive-line vibes above 50 but I'm confident I can fix it. It also had two other very minor issues that are now taken care of.

Added new fenders, tires and wheels as well. Still need to change the spare but I'm nowhere near strong enough to get it up there.

What a pleasure to drive!!

Attachments

Again, I am sorry this has taken so long. I had a chance to take some pics today and here they are. It is a Banks Sidewinder Turbo with the Intercooler. It gives you 101 horsepower and 88 torque. Runs GREAT and pulls like crazy. I have pulled a slightly loaded trailer at 70 MPH down the highway with out a problem and, it wasn't really bad on gas. The first pic is all you see when the hood is shut. Second one is what the cold air intake looks like under the hood. The third is the turbo under the alternator after the alternator was relocated with their bracket. The forth is what the intercooler looks like and where it rides.

Attachments

Man, choices choices... both the swap and the turbo are awesome. I want the turbo... I think. Cost of the turbo in terms of time and money seems to be a bit more predictable.

Reactions: johncanfield
Discussion starter · #213 ·
Very cool!! It would be fun to drive them both back to back to compare.

Reactions: johncanfield
Love the Banks Turbo setup.
With my kit they supplied a heat shield on the outlet side of the turbo which helps reduce the heat. Yours doesn't look like it has one. Did you leave it off?

Thanks for your opinions. I think the whole thing is great. It was $1500 cheaper without the intercooler. When I talked with the guy at Banks, he told that if I am moving to Nevada that I will need the intercooler. He said the heat that the engine normally puts out would at least double, and that is not good in Nevada. I does put the temp to 210 rather quickly!

The total cost of the Banks Sidewinder Turbo system was about $4500. They tell you when you ask, it will only take a weekend to put the system on your Jeep. We had it on and running Saturday night, we started Friday night. It wasn't that hard to do. Like they said, they wanted it to be a system that anyone could do no matter where you live, even the middle of Alaska! They are correct. I didn't even have to buy any blue Lock tight, it was provided with the kit!

As far as driving them back to back, The V-8 would win hands down. The turbo kit is fantastic! You really have to think about things. Do you want a speed demon? Do you want a very quick Jeep that can 4 wheel and not surprise you with a boost of power? One that will give you the power you need like, when you are pulling a trailer with ATV's on it. There are many things to think about before you spend. I am very very happy I went the way I have. It gives me all that I want. And no, the turbo does not surprise you with a burst of power. You could drive it and never know it is there!

The guys that drive the New Jeeps, that think they have the fastest Jeep there is, you should see their faces when they can't shake me off or I pass them. LOL!

Hey BobsLJ, What year is your Jeep? Mine is a 2006. When you buy the kit and, when they send you the kit, it is for all Jeep Wranglers that are TJ or LJ. There were several parts that we did not use. They were for Jeeps that are older than mine. Yes, I do have the heat shield you are talking about. It had no place on my Jeep that it would fit. If you wouldn't mind, send me a pic of where your shield is. Maybe I just never found the correct place.

Sorry to hijack this awesome V8 swap thread, sorry again about that. Your swap is really sweet.

Maybe the Banks stuff can be moved?

Semper FI, check out my install thread "Rubic the Red's PIP" on this forum. Post 15 has two pix of the heat shield on the turbo down pipe.

Discussion starter · #219 ·
Sorry to hijack this awesome V8 swap thread, sorry again about that. Your swap is really sweet.

Maybe the Banks stuff can be moved?
No worries!
The way I see it is any information that can help anyone reading this is worth adding. No hijacking involved if we are discussing Jeeps.

Reactions: mac
Discussion starter · #220 ·
I finally got a chance to take the Jeep in the woods. Nothing major, no rocks just forest service roads, two tracks, sand pit with hill climbs, some gravel and just about anything else you would normally run across on 150+ miles of trails over two days.

Whew, words can’t even describe what the Jeep is like now. I figured it would have some power but while on the gas I was in no way prepared for what was about to happen when it shifted (shift kit installed) into second gear on the forest service road. Damn good thing I know how to drive. Hooooolllly ……………………!! It basically could immediately rip the 35” Pitbull Rockers and continue to do so until you either let off or crashed into a tree.

My heartrate was unreal. Who needs cardio. Talk about exhilarating. Time to cancel the gym membership and hit the trails. Sorry dear, you did say I need my cardio these days.

I had soo much fun I can’t even tell you. I haven’t had this much of an adrenalin rush since I owned a high performance snowmobile. If fact I’m starting to wonder if I’m responsible enough to hold myself back when needed. Maybe I should consider some therapy on this one or maybe some of you can offer up some advice.

201 - 220 of 257 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.