Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished putting a GR8 Half Top on my LJ and thought I would share it. All in all the entire project went pretty well. Only A few minor setbacks along the way but nothing to serious.

They have a standard and an extended version of the top which is 2 1/2" longer. This is the extended top.

One of the toughest parts was making sure to drill the holes in the correct spot to run the roll cage through. You only get one chance so you have to get it right.

The bulk head fits nice and tight. Sealed it first with camper tape and then with a urethane sealant. The factory drain holes and seat bolt holes drain the bed quickly when it rains.

Inside view of cage going through the top.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allagash said:
That looks fantastic. How do you take the top off? Or does it never come off again?

I have tube clamps near the top that you can't see in the pictures. Two bolts at the top and the two bolts at the tub and the bars come off. Then you can remove the top and reinstall the rear tubing and you can run topless. Takes about 15 minutes max.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a tonneau cover on it:

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gprguy said:
Very cool. Modify a bestop tonneau or something?

That's exactly what I did. Just had it cut and stitched a little shorter.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it very much.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
evilc said:
looks awesome..you should do the fold down tailgate...totally complete the truck look...

Thanks evilc....

I am actually planning on doing that. They make kits to convert my existing tailgate to a drop down but my plan is to use a CJ tailgate instead.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installed 5.13's and they are AWESOME! I barely have to give it any throttle anymore. Found myself speeding because I was still gauging my speed by the sound that my engine used to make. I broke them in as suggested and then gave them the test. No problem chirping tires from a stop now. It feels like I am driving a normal vehicle and it no longer feels like a brick with a tent strapped to its ***. The improvement in acceleration is amazing. The tranny shifts much better as well. The only downside is that I waited so long to do it.

Celebration is in order.... :beerchug:

Went out and tested the 5.13's off road and was very impressed. Wheeled on rocks, in mud, attacked a hill climb, obstacle course, did some major articulation as well as some technical trails. Didn't need low range all day.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been wanting to do this badly, but haven't seen the "extended version" in person. I sit with the seat all the way back on its slides and then leaned back a little. I'm no gangster but am far from upright.

Is it possible to sit in this position with this top?

1 - 20 of 252 Posts