Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Magellin Sport Trac Pro in today! Can't wait to get out and play with it.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Let us know how you like it. I bought the Garmin eTrex Vista. It's a handheld but you can mount it as well. It's got great features but just a couple of complaints. First, unlike the GPS-V, you can't change the screen position so you pretty much have to mount it upright in the car which makes it very visible. Second, it doesn't have an external antenna mount which makes it easy to lose the signal under heavy foliage. Also, the mount that I bought from Garmin is pretty flimsy. To keep it from bouncing like crazy :multi: I got some of those Dr. Scholl's corn pads and wedged a couple underneath between the dash and the GPS unit :grab: .

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love it so far... of course I just walked around my yard :rainbow1: but it has a lot of feature I was looking for. It doesn't have an external antenna mount but I wasn't looking for that. I was mainly looking for memory and functionality based on what I would be using it for... which is of course offroading and geocaching. I ordered a swivel mount for it which they claim in the little ad is perfect for offroading because it is sturdy blah blah. So we will see when it gets here.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
JustinRuby03 said:
I love it so far... of course I just walked around my yard
Justin
Hmmm I can see Justin programing in way points so he can find his way back to his door. Actually until yesterday you would have needed it in my backyard with as tall as the grass was. Had to cut the grass first sweep with the mower deck at 45degrees.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, did a little geocaching with mine a couple weeks back. That's a pretty fun sport. One of the cache locations was by a local monument that I had been wanting to go to but was just putting off. So I used the occasion to finally check it out.

One of the things I think the GPS-III has that mine doesn't is a more detailed street map (as opposed to topo maps). I was thinking when I bought it that I wouldn't be using it for driving directions but now that I have it I'm thinking it would be a good idea. Don't get me wrong, the Vista is great but it is used for more hiking and trail driving.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Can't you upload topo maps into the Garmin III Plus? I am thinking of buying one so I would really like to have that feature.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the link Justin! I just got a Garmin Legend and need the software. I couldn't find anyplace with that low a price. :D

G

·
0 Posts
garmin Etrex vista has 24mb ram. You can get topo or street maps. I also have delorme topo quad program and SAT 3d imagery as well. With laptop and a wing man (or set it in the empty wingman seat) I can view my position on the laptop. I can upload my tracks of unmapped trails into either program and print or save to dump back into the GPS for future use.

As for the flimsy mount mine is mounted on the left side dash and I can position it so the rubber power plug for the 12volt adapter on the back is resting against the windshield and keeps it from bouncing so much. I use the accessory outlet so If I stop and shut off the jeep it still has power to the GPS. I use an inverter from Staples with regular 110 ac plugs for the laptop or to power a campsite light or whatever else you might need. :D

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I have the Navman for my Compaq Ipaq
For street navigation it uses the Navtech maps.
These are used on Expedia and Maps.yahoo.com
I like the accuracy alot
I then have topographical maps from Maptech and have all the waypoints for Paragon programmed in

·
Registered
368 Posts
quick garmin question

uhdinator said:
garmin Etrex vista has 24mb ram. You can get topo or street maps. I also have delorme topo quad program and SAT 3d imagery as well. With laptop and a wing man (or set it in the empty wingman seat) I can view my position on the laptop. I can upload my tracks of unmapped trails into either program and print or save to dump back into the GPS for future use.

As for the flimsy mount mine is mounted on the left side dash and I can position it so the rubber power plug for the 12volt adapter on the back is resting against the windshield and keeps it from bouncing so much. I use the accessory outlet so If I stop and shut off the jeep it still has power to the GPS. I use an inverter from Staples with regular 110 ac plugs for the laptop or to power a campsite light or whatever else you might need. :D
when you hook it up to your laptop (assuming via serial port) does it get power from the computer or run on batteries?

i have the extrex vista and got my hands on a progear

winXP tablet, pretty cool but kinda slow for computers nowadays - and no serial ports so im using a usb-to-serial converter, in this mode the GPS only runs on batteries.

On another note the Mapsource software with topo and US road and recreation maps are pretty cool. However I find garmin's map mafia business practices utterly ridiculous, espically considering it does not do step by step directions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
we got the sport trak pro and love it. Now all you need is a buddy that has the software :roll: then ya get it for free. heck if I was on dsl or something i would just up it to ya :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The navman is great because it comes with a car adapter to power the iPAQ. THe software is great because it does on the fly route recalculation. Most of the other ones I tested forced you to plot your path before you left. I personally think a GPS is worthless if it can't help you get out of a being lost.

Alot of GPS nowadays are USB capable and use the power of the laptop.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the Garmin GPS V. IMHO, It makes good compromise between a handheld that can be used for geocaching and full-fledged automotive unit.

It come with a base map of the US with major highways built in and detailed street maps downloadable. it does auto-routing and re-routing on the fly.

Two biggest shortcomings are that it uses serial port, not USB, and it has only 19MB of memory.

Still, a great unit for the price.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have Garmin Etrex Vista model and DeLorme's Topo USA 4.0. I use the wifes laptop w/ 17" screen in the jeep and the garmin as the antenna, then outside I just carry the garmin. By far the best solution IMO.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lothos, I might agree . . . as long as its your wife's laptop and not mine that I lose in the next water crossing :) :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts