Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after extensive testing this summer I have come to the conclusion that running with the AC on cuts mileage in half and cuts power by at least half. This is especially apparent in temps above 85F. My poor gal seems to have no energy at all when i tromp on the skinny pedal with the AC on. Mileage it seems I get about 9mpg with AC and 14mpg without in the city. Highway is more like 13/18 with/without. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I usually get about 14 to 15 in the city with the A/C on. I hardly ever go over 70 and try to keep it about 65ish. Couldn't tell you about highway, I haven't gotten a good run that was all highway.

James

·
Registered
843 Posts
I run

with the AC on all of the time with a mix of city and highway and have been averaging 17.2 MPG. I feel much more power when temps drop below 75.

G

·
0 Posts
I only have the Soft top, and find myself most of the time using nature's AC.

I will try to do a comparison though, I am curious as to how much it would reduce fuel consumption.

My Rig so far seems to get about 13mpg with the 35"'s on it, no matter how or where I drive.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm averaging about 16.2mpg with my soft top, running the AC most of the time. I really don't get to take the top down as much as I would like. Weve had the wettest summer here in the last 26years. Besides where I work I park about 100ft from the edge of the gulf, lots of sea spray, and the saying is 10% chance of rain means a 10% chance it will rain somewhere else.

Ron

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, how many of you have the automatic as well? I get that overworked sound from the engine when the AC is on and the temp is over 85F. Would resetting the computer help? How exactly is that done too :)

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
living in the desert.....air cond is on from april to oct.
i have the soft-top on....
put it down on way home air on full blast.....
:D
avg. 13.5 daily driving to work that includes 8mi of highway speed.

highway i avg. 15.5 mpg.

auto i get less mileage with the hard top on.

i try to keep the rpm`s around 2000 to 2500. that seems to help.
:wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
5 speed, hard top with A/C on 95% of the time. A/C is only off on those few cool mornings.

city is 12-14, hi-way is 16-18 mpg. On a long road trip (four, 15 hour days, one way) I got 17-20 mpg. I think the 20 mpg tanks were super full tanks, then not so full, next tanks.

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
In regards to the milage, has anyone tested with different fuels? On my old YJ if I put in Exxon the milage dropped considerably, like 5mpg+ .

I could tell no difference between Exxons 3 different grades. I think they were filling all their tanks with the same gas. This was at a Turkey hill near the house.

I now run Hess gas all the time, only because it is the next closest gas station and normally is the cheapest. Sams club is $1.60 now where everyone else is $1.67-69 but who knows what they put in their tanks.

I use to run Mobile and got good results, but I haven't tried them lately, since they are now owned by Exxon. Sunoco is normally ok, but I think they've cut theirs too. Anyone remember when their 190 was recommended for lawnmowers only :lol: Saturdays you could see all the race cars lined up to fill up with 260 on the way to the track.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Octane rating doesn't improve fuel economy. The higher octane fuels are simply refined to burn slower in hotter engines. If you run high octane gas in an engine designed for 87 octane for a long time, you will buildup sludge type stuff in the cylinders as the engine cannot burn off all the crud in a firing cycle. At the same time engines like boats need high octane to keep from knocking and detonating because they run hotter due to the high constant rpm's.

Anyway, my point to the thread was finding out why my performance seems so fubar'd when compared to the norm for the Auto Rubi in a fairly room temp part of the country.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I have not found any noticeable loss of power when running the A/C in my automatic. As far as mileage (mpg), I’ve never checked it. I have run the A/C a lot this summer with temp’s reaching 100˚ F.

I would suggest having you’re A/C checked out, it shouldn’t put that much of a load on your engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts