Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Jeeperman stuff yesterday and got most of it installed. First to go on were the Trail Skidz picutred here:

Install took about 10 min per side, but unwrapping Eddie's wonderufl bubblewrap job took about 20 min per skid :D

The reason for these was the step to get in for my not so tall wife and me when I lift the thing. And the other is to help protect the tub area above the Rubi's oem rocker guards against trees and other objects. These things are super beefy and well worth the price. Truly a quick bolt on install with only the driver side brake line hangers to give you a little grief.

Next to go on was the Jeeperman rear tire carrier bumper system. I got the rack and pass. can holder with mine :

This install is still in progess after about 6 hours of getting the bumper on and the swing away mostly on. I have a 1" BL and installing the 4 inner bolts for the new bumper are still a pain even after lowering the rear edge of the gas tank. If I had it to do again I would strongly advise doing this install at the same time as say a Kilby Gas Skid install since you will have the tank completely out and out of the way. Once the bumper was on the swing away went on fairly easy with the exception of the stop pin that holds the swing away in a locked open position. There was a bit of weld splatter inside the hole for this assembly preventing the top nut from being able to screw into the hole. This took me quite a while to clean up with a thin blade screwdriver since I didn't have a tap big enough to clean the threads. Since the pin's nuts are brass, the hole's threads need to be as close to perfect to prevent stripping which I still had a little bit as I finally got the nut to thread in.

Another thing I should point out is while the instructions give you directions to remove the OEM rear bumper before the install, it makes no mention of the OEM carrier or third brake light. While this isn't a big deal to the experienced mechanic, its worth mentioning that for the novice that this detail may want to be addressed.

Tonight I will be finishing up the install of the swing away and the accessories. I'll get some pics when/if I finish tonight since its bowling night :)

So far, my hats off to Eddie and the folks at Raingler/Jeeperman for such fine products.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Looks good, and I may have to get a set of those steps for the wife too...

Ken

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm, very pretty Ned, but doesn't that weaken the bumper at that spot? I will be pursuing adding brighter backup lights to my carrier probably on the swingout.

I did get around to getting my rack on last night and was a little disappointed that there was no instruction for it. I basically ended up looking at a few of the pics on their site to figure out where all the washers went and which way the rack mounted on the arms.

I have to go back today and loosen and move one side as the rack isn't sitting level. With last night being bowling night I didn't get anything else done so I still need to move a rubber bumper to help stiffen the carrier when closed and also put the lugs on for the tire and find a fit position for the jack.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
WOW...that looks really good..Nice work. :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks!

Lothos,
Yeah, I took that into consideration and I'm okay with it. My thinking was that it is a boxed tube and the D ring mounts pass completely through. The trailer hitch mount also is welded on both sides. The mounting points of the bumper attach almost on either side of the light addition as well. It would be interesting to do a torture test to see how much it does weaken it...but I'm convinced it wouldn't be much.

One of my fears with a Jeep is being rear ended...not much crumple zone to the (usually full with my 2 kids) back seat. I wanna be seen first....from a good distance too! :D

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, thats my thought too Ned, so I will also be looking at lights. Posibly hung below the rack rim I think.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
looks great....

would you plzzz post approx cost of lights and where they can be purchased
thanks
mac

·
Registered
740 Posts
4x4mac said:
looks great....

would you plzzz post approx cost of lights and where they can be purchased
thanks
mac
I got 'em from Waytek wire...but I've found more dense lights for those interested.

Waytek sells Grote lights. If you go to the grote web site, they have some great mounting brackets that use their grommets. Just find the light you want (I think mine was the 60 series oval) then in the detail area you'll see links to brackets and mounts.

Note: be sure to take note of the depth of the light. The grote light I used worked but I needed to solder the leads and couldn't use the pigtail. Some of the lights are far deeper than the Grote light.

Grote detail page: http://www.grote.com/cgi-bin/product.cg ... yid=A0013m
Waytek: http://www.waytekwire.com/

More expensive but very dense: http://www.strobes-r-us.com/strobes-r-us_017.htm

Another: http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.as ... &p_gpID=64

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did you also get the top center brake light working? That really looks killer, I'd like to see it with the jack on it if you get a chance. Kudos for creativity.

G

·
0 Posts
Here are some pics of my jeeperman rear with tire carrier. I ran the wires for the third brake light thru the stock third brake light hole along with my antenna cable. Pics are at night so sorry for the glare. I can post some day lights tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts