Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my apologies to any PC people for saying "Christmas"

I was walking my dog today and the UPS guy drove up, stopped and said "You just want me to leave this on the front porch?" (I have no idea how he knows who I am :wink:). But anyway, there was a 48" Hi-Lift jack in the front of his van and I told him "Ya, guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas now" (I didn't order it, got a great wife!).
So a couple questions...

Is the reversing lever really that hard to lift up to the indent for lifting mode? Mine is really hard to engage.

Ideas for where to mount it? Inside is out of the question. I have a WARN rear bumper w/tire carrier and not really interested in getting a different one.

Thanks

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
The reverse lever is hard to engage so I just kick it up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Keep it lubricated. I carry a can of WD-40 in the Jeep and give the Hi-Lift a shot before every use. The reversing lever will get a little bit easier after using it for a few years. Merry Christmas. BTW, at Hi-Lift we end every phone call right now with Merry Christmas and most emails end the same way. Maybe we're not politically correct but we've managed to stay around for 116 years.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Hi-Lift said:
Keep it lubricated. I carry a can of WD-40 in the Jeep and give the Hi-Lift a shot before every use. The reversing lever will get a little bit easier after using it for a few years. Merry Christmas. BTW, at Hi-Lift we end every phone call right now with Merry Christmas and most emails end the same way. Maybe we're not politically correct but we've managed to stay around for 116 years.

Kudos for your attitude guys!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
geroux said:
blkrubi05 said:
Hey blkrubi05, thanks for the pics of your mounting the Hi-Lift to your WARN carrier. Don't have the tools to do something like that but I'm in San Antonio. How about I buy the beer, parts and material and help you fab one up for me :D
I live in San Angelo, but am in Iraq for the next few months. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must be AF from Goodfellow? I retired from the AF 3 years ago. Was deployed to Balad in '06. Wife was in Kirkuk '07 and just got back from Bagram 5 weeks ago.
You need anything?
Thanks for your service and come home safe dude.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
geroux said:
Must be AF from Goodfellow? I retired from the AF 3 years ago. Was deployed to Balad in '06. Wife was in Kirkuk '07 and just got back from Bagram 5 weeks ago.
You need anything?
Thanks for your service and come home safe dude.
Yes, instructor at Goodfellow. I don't need anything, everyone has been very nice and sending us plenty, thank you!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Theres a seller (maybe more) on ebay that makes a mount for the warn rear bumper/tire carrier. If you never used a hi-lift let someone give ya a lesson. I was rushing a fix and probably not paying as much attention as i should and let the handle of one come up and crack me in the jaw. Lucky for me it pretty much just bruised the **** out of me, but i've heard horror stories.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agreed that they can hurt you if you don't pay attention. Rule of thumb: Never have your head or other extremity between the handle and the main bar. Never. When possible, have two hands on the handle when lowering the load. Like most heavy duty tools, improper use can cause serious injury.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Hi-Lift said:
Agreed that they can hurt you if you don't pay attention. Rule of thumb: Never have your head or other extremity between the handle and the main bar. Never. When possible, have two hands on the handle when lowering the load. Like most heavy duty tools, improper use can cause serious injury.
This advice is great but, should be common knowledge with anyone that ventures off of the pavement. Unfortunately, we need to stay on top of the safety issues with individuals, that venture into our realm. Dunno what the answer is but, maybe some darn chip can be incorporated into a potential off road rig that just shuts it down until they can pass some test to prove that they have some common sense. We have all seen the asinine recovery youtube vids that highlight off road stupidity!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the safety tips. I've read the manual and I also pride myself with enough common sense that usually keeps my body away from potentually dangerous situations.
My primary purpose for wanting one is if I ever get a flat (haven't had a flat since I bought it in '03), with 4.5" lift and 35's, my stock jack probably wouldn't even get to the frame fully extended! Hopeing a 48" Hi-Lift will get it done. Kinda worried about spring drop not getting the tire off the ground though. Haven't done a test lift as it really doesn't matter since I'm not carrying it with me right now anyway.
Is there really a mount for a WARN carrier? I've looked but haven't seen anything.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Merry Christmas Hi Lift. Thank you for staying true to Christmas.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
geroux said:
Thanks for the safety tips. I've read the manual and I also pride myself with enough common sense that usually keeps my body away from potentually dangerous situations.
My primary purpose for wanting one is if I ever get a flat (haven't had a flat since I bought it in '03), with 4.5" lift and 35's, my stock jack probably wouldn't even get to the frame fully extended! Hopeing a 48" Hi-Lift will get it done. Kinda worried about spring drop not getting the tire off the ground though. Haven't done a test lift as it really doesn't matter since I'm not carrying it with me right now anyway.
Is there really a mount for a WARN carrier? I've looked but haven't seen anything.

How about keeping a 18" (or so) length of 4x4 in your rig? I keep a 15"x15"x2" piece of solid pine in my recovery box so I can use the stock jack, mainly because the stocker is easier to use for some things. Also the pine piece gives a bigger footprint for use in the soft stuff and can be used with either the Hi-Lift or the stocker.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Well after years now without my own personal Hi-Lift for the Jeep, I finally had to break down and buy another. Had one for years till somebody decided they needed it more than I did. Still have a few up at the ranch we use all the time, but came upon a job I need to do today where the Hi-Lift is about the only tool I can think of that will get the job done. Just broke down and bought another, to keep with my Jeep/trailer. Picked up the 48" cast verion with the handle keeper deal to go with. Guess now I need to see what kind of accessories I need to pick up to go along as well.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Administrator
11,210 Posts
The old farm jack I was planning on using with the Rubi would not play nice when lowering, so I went to Tractor Supply last week and bought a cast Hi-Lift and a handle keeper. I had no idea Tractor Supply carried the real-deal Hi-Lift, I was determined to buy American and buy a Hi-Lift and would have walked out the store rather than buy an off-shore made jack (since there was a domestic made product available via Northridge, etc.)

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
johncanfield said:
The old farm jack I was planning on using with the Rubi would not play nice when lowering, so I went to Tractor Supply last week and bought a cast Hi-Lift and a handle keeper. I had no idea Tractor Supply carried the real-deal Hi-Lift, I was determined to buy American and buy a Hi-Lift and would have walked out the store rather than buy an off-shore made jack (since there was a domestic made product available via Northridge, etc.)
John-

Believe it or not but I went to 2 different stores that had similar products and walked out. I knew my local Big R had them, just didn't want to pay their price. Oh well, I did in the end to have a real genuine "Hi-Lift", made here in the USA. The guys at Hi-Lift are great folks as noted here and elsewhere on ROF. I'd have ordered direct from them, but needed it today. Consider yourself lucky to only have to go to ONE store-3rd times a charm for me... :rotflmao: :D

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Administrator
11,210 Posts
Bummer Mike - I looked and there are no Tractor Supply stores in Washington. They sell the jack for a very competitive price (~$80) - at least in Texas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts