Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking to buy a few accessories for my JK. Any one recommend a good online vendor? Thanks

·
1,779 Posts
Search ”Jeep Parts” on your favorite search engine and you’ll find plenty.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search ”Jeep Parts” on your favorite search engine and you’ll find plenty.
I wasn't clear. I know how to search the internet. I was asking if any one recommends a specific vendor. Thanks anyway.

·
1,779 Posts
I was basic in response because you didn’t specify any category. It may help to mention what you are looking for. Fenders have a group according to their characteristics. Armor underneath would be another category. I wasn’t being snarky. I had a question once about PCMs and another time batteries. I was able to learn that a premium battery was branded under another name and saved $100. Most on here say to buy sensors from the dealer. Your choice of vendor will depend on what you want.

·
Administrator
11,205 Posts
I used to use Northridge 4x4 quite a bit and GenRight. Rockmen for skids and control arms. Like Norm said it depends on what you're looking for. If you are just looking for generic stuff, any of the big houses are okay.

Reactions: KMG

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Northridge 4x4 and Quadratec are two of the biggest "we have a everything" type sites which is probably what you're looking for. However most brands have websites that you can order directly from. In my experience it's been better to order direct from the manufacturers. That's why the guys above are suggesting you be specific about a part you need and then the forum can tell you the best place to get it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it now. Thanks for the explanation and information. Norminator, I didn't take your reply as snarky and didn't mean for my reply to be snarky. Sorry if it came across that way. I'm looking for a winch, recovery gear, hi lift jack (not a fan but don't know of a better way to jack up a lifted Jeep), and interior misc. crap. My bumpers are Warn and I was looking into their winches. I'd prefer American made so I think their VR series is out. I had an old M8000, I think thats the model number, and thought it worked great but this time I'd prefer synthetic line vs cable. Thanks to all, Kevin

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Check the storage area by the jack. Your jeep looks like it was and AEV build. My AEV lift came with an orange block of plastic that fits perfectly into that storage space. It is designed to work with the stock jack so you can use it with a lift kit. My Jeep ended up with ~4 inches of lift and I use the stock jack with that block all the time. Winch you should shop around, I got my Warn M8000 on amazon. Warn usually does rebates a couple times a year and you can get all of their winches with synthetic. Quadratec is great for the misc. interior crap and most places will have some recovery gear.

My suggestion would be to look at Quadratec and Northridge to get an idea of what you like. Then take the product info and do a google search for that specifically. You'll end up seeing any site that sells it can you can shop the deals.

·
1,779 Posts
Thanks Kevin. Looking forward to hearing what you buy. Don’t forget a ham license and radio 😀

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
725 Posts
Depending on what kind of recovery gear, I would highly recommend a "real" snatch strap or kinetic yanker as I think they call it. I got mine about 10 years ago from 4x4 Connection as they had the best prices at the time and USA made. I just looked and it appears they still offer USA "made" it's just black whereas mine is white - might be a different brand. Here is the link. You can also find from other sites per above or even Amazon. If you're not familiar with them they are used to create a rubber band effect where the pulling vehicle has some slack then takes off and yanks the stuck guy out - think buried frame deep in a mud bog. I carry a 7/8" x 30" kinetic yanker along with a "normal" 30' snatch strap rated for either 20 or 30k lbs WLL (can't remember), which I use either when whiplash is not needed or I need to secure my tail end to a tree for winching from the front.

If you're into shackles I would recommend the soft shackles - they seem legit although I don't have any (on my wish list... maybe others can chime in). I carry the "normal" size shackles, which I consider to be the 3/4" size w/ 7/8" pin, except I make sure mine are 6.5 ton WLL instead of the typical 4.75 ton. Here is an example (also USA made).

I also carry a tree saver saver strap, which I would recommend to be 8-15 feet (no less than 8'), and a heavy duty snatch block.

Basically, in the rare case you are ever going to use a snatch block with your winch and double it up on yourself, you will effectively be putting double the load on your snatch block setup, which most likely will be the snatch block itself, a shackle, and a tree saver strap. If your winch is rated for 9k max then I would recommend those three components each to be rated for 18k WLL just so you're prepared in case you need it! Similarly, if you ever need to pull someone out by doubling up you'd need to secure your rear end to a tree, which is why my "normal" snatch strap is rated >=20k lb and I carry two 6.5t WLL shackles.

·
Administrator
11,205 Posts
I had to pull a 4-door that was high centered on a rock slab, couldn't pull him straight off with my 10.5k pound MileMarker hydraulic winch (great winch BTW) and had to use the snatch block to double up the line.

High lift jacks belong on a farm or ranch, they are very dangerous to use to lift a vehicle. I carry a bottle jack and a 12" square of 3/4" plywood if I have to jack in sand. I made an attachment for the top of the jack to cradle the axle - just a piece of right angle steel on square tube. Some of the bottle jacks can be used horizontally which could be handy to bend something back in place.

·
3,633 Posts
I've used our snatch block a fair bit. I also second the bottle jack with attachments over a farm jack.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,102 Posts
I have used and recommend Northridge. Dave the owner is a great guy, and you can call up with questions and get good info.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I have a good bottle jack from owning a triple axle trailer. a few years ago. It telescopes and can function horizontally. I also have plastic pads from that trailer's legs. Thanks I wouldn't have thought of using either. My mind got set on a hi lift jack because my spare tire rack has a mount for a lift. I think I'll repurpose it to carry fuel or something else. I purchased four 3/4" 4.75 ton shackles with a 7/8" pins. Looks like I should have purchased stronger ones. I installed the shackles on my bumpers because I didn't want them loose inside the cab and they came with isolators. I'll have to get use to the look. It seems a little mall cruiser like. Do most keep theirs in the Jeep or on their bumpers? I wouldn't have thought of a shorter strap for around a tree. Jeep and trailer are a great combination for our needs. They made removing a rotten fence easy. Thanks.
IMG_3923.JPG

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't like things rattling around inside so I have stored everything I could in the rear compartment under the floor. Jack base, shackles, winch cable, snatch block, two pair of gloves etc.
I also have a cargo net and anyone who has stuff needs one also. They are cheap and if something happens you won't have projectiles inside your cab.
I prefer to use the usual online stores rather than manufacture direct. They have better return or damage policy's. If you want to go direst then do a google search to see if they have any problems with shipping dates or return problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
725 Posts
Glad to hear you're getting it all set up... no need to worry about the 4.75 ton shackles... as I mentioned they have a design factor of 6:1 which means even with that rating they'll be stronger than the winch cable, straps, etc. I put 4.75 ton on my front bumper bc it has shackle mounts but my rear bumper doesn't so I just carry the 6.5 ton in my recovery bag. I've had them stolen off my bumper before which is why I put the 4.75 ton (less expensive) ones on it and now I tighten them down beyond hand tight by putting a big screwdriver through the hole in the pin and turning so they can't be removed without tools. Just have to remember to have a screwdriver handy or loosen them when you hit the trail and need to use them quickly!

·
Registered
616 Posts
And I haul also
20190928_135421(0).jpg

·
Administrator
11,205 Posts
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I have a good bottle jack from owning a triple axle trailer. a few years ago. It telescopes and can function horizontally. I also have plastic pads from that trailer's legs. Thanks I wouldn't have thought of using either. My mind got set on a hi lift jack because my spare tire rack has a mount for a lift. ......
You are a smart guy 👍 . I carry my shackles in my recovery bag (snatch block, tree strap, gloves, etc.) They drive me nuts hanging on the bumper. My rear bumper is a Savvy aluminum with a hitch receiver, I have an insert with a hole in it to attach a shackle (it also lives in my recovery bag.)

The downside to not having the shackles attached is you can get into a weird position (like on your side) and attaching a shackle could be very tricky or even dangerous. My front Savvy bumper has two recovery hooks like those on a stock TJ/LJ so I was ready to go. I also keep my winch controller in the driver's door pocket so it's always available. The last place you want the controller is in a bag somewhere in the rear. (Been in that situation - the controller was behind this guy's seat and we couldn't reach it due to hanging from the seat belts. We were on our side.)

Reactions: KMG

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
In cab winch control eliminates that problem.
I carry my shackles in my recovery bag until I get to the trail head. When airing down I install them on the bumpers along with the hook for the winch.
Check out Bubba Rope for the tree saver.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts