Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Russ and Hope Craig here,

We were attending the Moab Easter Jeep Safari in 2002, when we came upon the Jeep display area and met Jim Repp. He had a chassis on display showing all of the new equipment for the Rubicon and we were sold. Upon returning home we rushed out to order one, having to educate the dealer in the process! We took delivery in late November of 2002 and were told that it was one of the first equipped with an automatic to come off the line. Now, 149,000 miles and 130+ trail runs later, we are still loving it!
We are avid Jeep enthusiasts, having also a 1967 M715 and a 1975 CJ5 in the garage to keep the 2003 Rubicon company. We are looking forward to participating in the forum, learning a lot and hearing some great Jeep stories along the way!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hello,
How about some pictures of your rigs?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Tell us about about your 715? Stock/did you build it/power?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is a former private museum piece that was bought and rebuilt to road-worthy condition by a gentleman in North Carolina. I bought her from him about two years ago and have thus far only added a bed-mounted combo fuel tank/tool box for off-road trips.
During the rebuild, Jim had substituted a smallblock crate motor for the original Tornado six, Novak adapting it to the stock, rebuilt driveline. Gear ratios in the differentials were changed from 5.87's to 4.56's, F350 wheel cylinders were added along with a non-boosted corvette master cylinder to help the beast stop. It was also converted from 24V to 12V; he and his good friend Clifford did a super job, returning her to life with just over 15K miles on the clock!

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Beautiful!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After joining and then not posting for over a year (working for a start-up company requiring 60-hour weeks); this should probably be my last post in the "new-guy" section!

We sold our CJ5 to a fellow who runs an off-road company called ORZ over in California; he is shipping it to his father in Germany where CJ's are apparently very popular.
The funds were then invested in our previously stock '03 Rubicon, which now sports a Metalcloak 3.5" lift (with the OME shocks), 35" Goodyear MTR's on steel rims and a LOD rear bumper/swing away set-up.

We re-ran the Gold Bar Rim and Steel Bender trails at Moab this past April and it performed well.

My only complaint about any of the new equipment is that the designated high-lift mounting location on the LOD swing-away will NOT work with a hardtop.
All of their brochures and pictures on-line show it being used on a soft-top set-up and their was no advisory about it not being compatible with the rear lift-up window....
After finding that to be the fact the hard way, I contacted them about it and really got no more than an "oh well" in response....

I won a 10K lb rated winch with a raffle ticket bought at a Jeep show that I had the M715 entered in and plan on putting that on the Rubicon this fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts