Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a reoccurring faulty gas cap reading? I've bought 2, and swapped one for a week, and no matter what, after about 5 days, I start throwing code and it keeps coming back with reader clearing, only goes away for a few days after battery reset, oohhh but it still comes back...

·
3,356 Posts
Is this for a TJ? If so, I've read that others have had mixed results with different off-brand gas caps. I replaced mine probably 10 years ago with whatever the parts store had and I haven't had a problem.

What kind of problems are you experiencing?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Gas cap error is a large leak in the evap system. If it isn't your cap then one of your vapour lines is broken.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
What model Jeep?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2012 JKUR is having the same problem. You may want to start at the fuel filler first. I will be inspecting the fuel filler specifically this weekend. Why? I went a little over a week with any codes or “gas cap” warning popping up. We put around 1000k on over that time period, but during the last fill up. I happened to put a little bit of force on the filler neck accidentally and noticed that there is a bit more movement than I would have expected to see. I then wiggled the filler while filling and had a thought that the gas cap and engine codes/light might be related? I decided to pay attention and expect the gas cap and engine light sometime in the next day or two if the symptoms returned. You probably guessed by now that the gas cap and engine light returned? Yes. Within one day/ 60-ish miles. The “gas cap” warning returned and the engine light came on just a couple hours ago. Good luck. I think we will both need it, but I am hopeful that my diagnosis is correct. Since I am unfamiliar with how the fuel filler is or should be attached. I am hoping to find that there is a brace that Is disconnected or broken. I will let you know what I find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts