Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a garmin Nuvi 200. There are maps that can be added to it but the ones specifically listed for it are all street maps. Has anybody tried using the Garmin Topo maps with this? I'll eventually call Garmin but I don't have the time or patience to wait 30+ min on hold right now.

Thanks,
Bret

·
Registered
957 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - talked to Tech help at Garmin - yes, the Nuvi 200 will accept the Topo maps but it will not do all the functions that the higher end (Nuvi 700, etc) or hand-held ruggedized models will do. Probably most important is that it will not back track your route. I guess that is not a big deal if you/I use it in conjuction with a good map to plot course. Other concerns were that it is not water resistant so if the top's off and we get rained on (that never happens :laugh: ) that could be a problem. The alternatives to all of this appear to be either spend big bucks on a higher end unit or go with a rugged hand held model. Down side to the hand held is that then you get no street maps.

Guess I need to think about it for a while and not pitch the packaging just yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
06unlimited said:
The new Garmin etrex hcx models can take the city maps and be used for routing. You just need to get a big memory card.
Thx, I figured that out after a lot of research. I took the cheapie...I mean Nubi back and will wait until I can afford the etrex and all the other goodies that go with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts