Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is time to do some upgrades to the garage. After a long winter (one that seems to still be here :-x ) and a bear attack on my garage door it is finally time to knock out a few things. After it's all said and done I will be painting the inside of the garage and carport doing some wood/trim work, sanding and staining the garage door and of course I'll be adding a flat screen tv to the garage so I can watch the 49ers and Titans play on Sunday and still get things done outside (rather than laying on the couch).

I started with the sanding of the garage door, I replaced this over the winter after a bear punched through it only to be extremely disappointed (no food what so ever).. sheesh!

The Carport is very nice for oversized vehicles, this is the before:

And the after, still got some detail work but you can get an overall idea of the color scheme (very similar to my home back in Tennessee).

Workin away

I'll be damned if the day can start out perfect but you still find yourself racing against potential weather, you can never let your guard down in Tahoe, had to cut the job in half.

I will be finishing up the door tomorrow and hopefully able to do the poly by Sunday. Hopefully next week I can start on the inside of the garage, Griots Garage will be sending a new floor cleaner and prep for the paint then I will be adding a black and grey checker floor... :lildevil:

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
wow, looks great!!. got some before pics of what the bear did?

i see in the back ground you are using the top notch paint/stain supplier (IMHO) Valspar. great choice.

is that a condo type home on top of a mountain from the looks of the pics? i am so jealous looks like an amzing place with a great view

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
emarlowe39 said:
wow, looks great!!. got some before pics of what the bear did?

i see in the back ground you are using the top notch paint/stain supplier (IMHO) Valspar. great choice.

is that a condo type home on top of a mountain from the looks of the pics? i am so jealous looks like an amzing place with a great view

No pics of the bear damage... I was not staying here when it happened (in Cali for a while then in TN for majority of the winter) but he busted all the way through!

You guessed correctly on the place.. it is a condo on the side of a mountain. It can get extreme up here in the winter makes coming home an adventure in a snow storm, never know when you may have to pull out a Hummer in the driveway. :D

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the floor I plan on laying down over the painted floor.

The floor paint I plan on laying down.

After I clean the floor and paint it I will lay down two different floor mats one of which is pictured above, with the tv on the wall and the walls painted the same colors as the carport I will call this stage of the project complete.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Nice, then does this make you one of the mustering points for the rubicon trail trips?

Gotta love the Griots Garage stuff. Their new showroom is amazing, BTW.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
inline6 said:
Nice, then does this make you one of the mustering points for the rubicon trail trips?

I'll be going to their open house in Tacoma on 38th on Sat. if you wanted to meet up.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
TenaciousTJ said:
inline6 said:

I'll be going to their open house in Tacoma on 38th on Sat. if you wanted to meet up.
Sure, if i dont go to TSF saturday

BOT

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished up the stain yesterday and today, the top half was alot harder than the bottom.

Waiting on the stuff from Griot's Garage to arrive via UPS then I should have some more to post.

*edited

Pulled tape off, just need a wind free day so I can apply the polyurethane

Carport trim work mostly completed

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
inline6 said:

Sure my place will be open most of August and is a great drive to the trailhead on the west or east entrance. Great thing about Tahoe is you got lots to do when you're not wheelin! :pBR:

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the floor mat made it via fed ex today from Griot's Garage in Tahoma, WA.. still waiting on the other order on the way from Indiana. Six of the orange corners did not make it and I think I am going to go one more tile in width and two more in length.

Next on the agenda will be the flooring and walls!

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so I expanded to the floor size I am going with... had to improvise.

I may go with orange in the middle of the mat not sure yet.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So UPS made it twice today, once to drop off a set of Michelin Tires for my Bimmer...

and then to drop off these goodies...

Soft Mat for the half or full doors to rest on

Parking stop (it's a tight friggin garage)

Step mat

All the floor paint arrived as well but I may not have time to do the job until I get back from TN, I can't wait to get everything painted. :pBR:

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
so tell me what gets the garage the beamer or the heep??

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
emarlowe39 said:
so tell me what gets the garage the beamer or the heep??

Bimmer in the winter heep in the summer. :D

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it has been some time and I have not updated what little work I have got done since my last post. I had some things hold me up from finishing this project but plan to have it done by this July (only a 25 month drawn out project).

Hopefully the winter doesn't draw out into late spring/early summer like it is capable of doing up here in Tahoe, the sooner it warms up the quicker I can get on completion of the floor paint, dry wall and finish painting the walls.

I do have a few photos of some work I recently completed. I am going for a Griot's Garage look so once I do the pine on the wall that is concrete it will really set off with that two tone blue paint and brushed stainless accents throughout.

Enjoy!

New Heater but it was broken when I pulled it out of the box, notice what is leg #4 holding the unit up. :D

More unfinished work...

Brushed Stainless throughout

And I will be replacing these doors when I finish up the carport

I need to build a leveling platform so I can move that rack out of the parking spot, kinda tight on that side for the moment when the rigs parked in there.

I will update the thread when I have some progress in the spring, once completed it will be a nice compact man cave, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it has been some time and I have not updated what little work I have got done since my last post. I had some things hold me up from finishing this project but plan to have it done by this July (only a 25 month drawn out project).

Hopefully the winter doesn't draw out into late spring/early summer like it is capable of doing up here in Tahoe, the sooner it warms up the quicker I can get on completion of the floor paint, dry wall and finish painting the walls.

I do have a few photos of some work I recently completed. I am going for a Griot's Garage look so once I do the pine on the wall that is concrete it will really set off with that two tone blue paint and brushed stainless accents throughout.

Enjoy!

New Heater but it was broken when I pulled it out of the box, notice what is leg #4 holding the unit up. :D

More unfinished work...

Brushed Stainless throughout

And I will be replacing these doors when I finish up the carport

I need to build a leveling platform so I can move that rack out of the parking spot, kinda tight on that side for the moment when the rigs parked in there.

I will update the thread when I have some progress in the spring, once completed it will be a nice compact man cave, lol.

·
904 Posts
Hey Bbush I was wondering if you got the paint down? I have a 31 yr old house with a garage that has 25 years probably of oil grease and other auto stains on the floor. I really want to lay down a layer of garage floor paint like you see in show rooms but dunno how to go about cleaning it. Do you have any suggestions on how to remove years of built on stains? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Bbush what brand of tiles are those, I know longer see them listed on Groits Garage? Also how have the tiles held up and also how easy/difficult is it to clean off the slush/snow/mud?

·
Administrator
10,755 Posts
Hey Bbush I was wondering if you got the paint down? I have a 31 yr old house with a garage that has 25 years probably of oil grease and other auto stains on the floor. I really want to lay down a layer of garage floor paint like you see in show rooms but dunno how to go about cleaning it. Do you have any suggestions on how to remove years of built on stains? Thanks.
Trisodium phosphate (TSP) is a great cleaner for concrete (and many other things) but it's getting more difficult to find. There are 'substitutes' that don't work as well as the real deal so you have to look carefully at the packaging to make certain one way or the other. Google garage floor prep and there should be much more advice available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts