Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little while back I asked a question about adding a switch to an existing light circuit near a new future door . Thought I'd share the progress so far...

The wall.... I'll be getting power from that outlet for another new outlet and an exterior light. Exterior light was suggested by FLLJ

Stud removal....

Door framed in...… sill plate will be removed when the hole is cut for the door.

Running 12/3 for three way switch to existing light switch....

12/3 over to new three way switch by new door.... 50 feet across the ceiling from other switch.

Closed up holes in ceiling...

Making connections... in the dark...

Both ends of new three way switch circuit done... it works! Yeah, I got a hole to patch at existing switch side. The second switch at new door side is for a future outside light.
When I cut a hole in the wall and install the door I'll post more pics if ya'll want. Probably won't happen until June.

Attachments

·
3,425 Posts
Looks good.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments... a couple last things until it warms up and I can cut a hole in the wall to install door....

Reinforced sill plate to foundation on both sides where it will be cut out for door... this door frame is NOT moving!

Wiring for new outlet completed... all wiring done except installing outside light....

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
That's an interesting place for an outdoor light. With our house remodeling and addition (and a new detached garage) I went to all LED motion floods. This is the one in the front of the garage, very bright and the motion sensor works quite well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's an interesting place for an outdoor light. With our house remodeling and addition (and a new detached garage) I went to all LED motion floods. This is the one in the front of the garage, very bright and the motion sensor works quite well.
I was going to post a similar comment (with a sarcasm emoji) but couldn't find an appropriate one.

I've found that lights near a man door on attached garages are beneficial, as long as they are on the handle side of the door, to allow the light to be turned on when opening from the inside before the motion sensors activate.

Thanks for the link to the LED light.
I have 10 year old halogen lights that are now requiring sensor and lamp repairs.

·
3,425 Posts
Do you plan to pour a concrete pad outside the door?

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you plan to pour a concrete pad outside the door?
Yes... The foundation is about four inches above the floor level and as I don't plan on cutting that out, there will be a slight step to get over at the threshold. A pad outside and small wood step inside will alleviate that a little.

Someday I need a pad in my driveway!

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Cut a big hole in the side of the garage today. Was a little nervous that I would crack or shatter that Hardie Board siding but all went well. Shimmed and screwed it in more than probably necessary but that's how I do things...
All that's left is finish caulking, paint, inside wall board and make a step....

·
3,425 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Reactions: johncanfield

·
1,481 Posts
Very nice. I just put in a prehung on my garage. I'm not sure why, but the weather stripping got a bit out of line on the hinge side. I didn't see this and couldn't figure out why the door wouldn't close easily. Everything was square and plumb. I was really frustrated. Finally I saw the stripping and pushed it back into place. The door closed easily. I had never done a door before. I also built a step out of a piece of oak I had.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Good job Guy! Getting a prehung door plumb and level is really critical - I've had my share of fun with those. The painter we had here for our remodel/addition removed the weather stripping on the door frame before painting, I never thought about doing that. Watching the pros work is always educational for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts