Administrator
15,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into getting a garage freezer

Chest vs stand up ?

Auto Defrost vs Manual ?

What is the best size to get ?
looking at 3.0 to 7.0

i'm single and don't like a lot of frozen meats...but seeing the store shelves and local butcher run out has me think'n of getting one. + i want an extra 10lbs of ice for just in case

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I jave a chest, if I had it to do over I would go upright for better organization. I'd go auto-defrost. I don't remenber what size mine is anymore, but it's too small, of course if I'd take all the grain out it would be half full. Lol too hot to make hand sanitizer.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Stand up gives better storage and things don’t need to be stacked. You’ll want a self defrosting model. IMO, 3 cf is really small. 7cf is the size of an RV refer which will hold quite a bit without having to jam everything in.

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Standup as well, auto defrost but that only kind of works. Bought last one on amazon and just had it delivered

the last two freezers I have made rolling dollies for, made for much easier defrosting and all around cleanup.
the larger the freezer the more crap you will freeze and never find again

·
3,436 Posts
Freezers were a victim of the COVID-19 panic similar to TP. It will be difficult to find something. In early April I did some searching and many sellers were estimating August before freezers would be available.

Like the others, I endorse an upright.

Good luck!

·
3,369 Posts
Wife and I need a new freezer also. Mine is pretty darn old. I think it is somewhere around a 9cuft one. We would like to get a lot larger. I think though all we can fit is about a 15cuft chest or a 19cuft stand up.

Our concern is that we would not be able to get as much in a stand up. You can get to what you have easier though, and the 19 is bigger than the 15...but also 275 buck more as well

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife and I need a new freezer also. Mine is pretty darn old. I think it is somewhere around a 9cuft one. We would like to get a lot larger. I think though all we can fit is about a 15cuft chest or a 19cuft stand up.

Our concern is that we would not be able to get as much in a stand up. You can get to what you have easier though, and the 19 is bigger than the 15...but also 275 buck more as well
Today at Lowes i got one ordered ...13.5 cu ft auto defrost in stock in So ca and it's being shipped here ( $602 on sale delivered )
( Lowes was accommodating in getting it shipped here for FREE! )
i tried to get a bigger one as Guy suggested... i'm not waiting till Aug or Sept.

the 13.5 is the only one in stock in CA - AZ and NV have zero units in stock

apparently a auto defrost upright is a cousin to Toilet Paper ....everyone ran out and got one.

I'm looking to split a 1/2 beef with my neighbor as here high quality beef is tuff to find.

Thanks for the suggesting

·
10,121 Posts
I have the same Frigidaire as the picture, but in the 21.6 cuft size. Stand up is much better than the chest. I had a chest and kept forgetting things stored in the bottom. Found a redfish that was 8 years old when we were cleaning it out to send it over to my Aunt's. A stand up you can see things.

Ron

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I have the same Frigidaire as the picture, but in the 21.6 cuft size. Stand up is much better than the chest. I had a chest and kept forgetting things stored in the bottom. Found a redfish that was 8 years old when we were cleaning it out to send it over to my Aunt's. A stand up you can see things.

Ron
Same with me finding stir fry veggies in the bottom, chickens get those, chickens would have eaten the red as well.

·
Administrator
10,783 Posts
We bought a chest freezer as young marrieds along with 1/4 of a side of beef. All of the good cuts got eaten first and then we were left with the junk cuts and pounds and pounds of hamburger. We worked our way slowly through the beef and sold the freezer. Now I'm a proponent of having enough food and supplies to get buy for at least a month, ideally this would six month's supply.

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We bought a chest freezer as young marrieds along with 1/4 of a side of beef. All of the good cuts got eaten first and then we were left with the junk cuts and pounds and pounds of hamburger. We worked our way slowly through the beef and sold the freezer. Now I'm a proponent of having enough food and supplies to get buy for at least a month, ideally this would six month's supply.
John
my neighbor has young kids....i'm sure they are going to want lots of the ground beef
i'll pay extra for the steaks

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Congrats on the new freezer... you'll love the extra space.
We buy a bunch of those vacuum packed 6 pack chickens (breasts, thighs wings etc) at Costco, and have a Foodsaver vacuum sealer for beef and pork cuts. Probably buy meat about every four months. Not to mention I have an entire shelf for ice cream, Klondike bars and Outshine fruit bars!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts