Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI: Skidrow Oil pan/Tranny skid
(original post from JU)

Just installed the SkidRow Oil Pan Skid Plate. Installation consisted of bolting the passenger side of the skid plate to the existing lower control arm thru bolt. On the driver side a mounting bracket is bolted to existing holes under the left side motor mount. This bracket holds an angle brace that connects to the left front side of the skid.

The back of the skid mounts by drilling 3 holes thru the existing Transfer case skid plate. Plate is very securely mounted and would seem able to withstand some abuse, most of all it will hopefully stop the T-case skid from hanging up so easily. Well worth the money ($225).

Skidrow Automotive

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Looks good. As soon as I'm done messing with my suspension, I have one to install. It's good to know the install went smoothly. Thanks.

Jerry

·
Registered
639 Posts
Did you have to remove the driveshaft for installation of this skid? I think for the Warn/Mopar skid, you'd have to do that.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
that looks great...
now i wonder will it fit mine now that i have the long arm installed?
would be nice to see a better pic along side the front shaft.
thanks
mac

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
saigonsmuggler said:
Did you have to remove the driveshaft for installation of this skid? I think for the Warn/Mopar skid, you'd have to do that.
No!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4x4mac said:
that looks great...
now i wonder will it fit mine now that i have the long arm installed?
would be nice to see a better pic along side the front shaft.
thanks
mac
The passenger side front is mounted to the bottom control arm bolt and makes contact with the frame. If your long arm kit has relocated control arm mounts I would assume that some modifications would apply. The drive shaft, according to Skidrow will clear with any height lift.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Skidplates for Rubi

Hey this is a little off subject..but I was looking at engine/oilpan skid plate and I saw that when you buy them from Warn they have a serial number for 4cyl skidplates and 6 cyl skid plates....Is there a major difference?? Could I buy a 4 cyl skid plate and make it work for a 6 cyl by modifying the mounting? Is there really a differnce? Some info on this would help..I found a deal on a warn engine/oilpan skid for CHEAP!!! but its for a 4 cyl. I hope I can modify it to make it work for rubi.
Pete

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am not 100% sure but I have been told that the skid I have on my Rubi is the 4 cyl. version. It has been installed for a month now and it is doing just fine. Pretty much any engine skid you buy (except for most aftermarket) you will need to modify the drivers side corner to make room for the drive shaft. If you have the opportunity to test fit the 2.5L version then I would take it. Otherwise I think I would prefer to get the 4.0L. The mountin will be identical, the only problems will be where the hole is for the oil plug.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully, within a few months skidrow will have a T/C skid that will bolt right up to the engine skid. Hope it comes sooner not later. Anyone have any updated info on when that might be?

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Just got my warn engin/oil pan skid plate for my rubi....50.00..what a steal..PS..anyone got any install pics if they have one of these?

PEte

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Just got my warn engin/oil pan skid plate for my rubi....50.00..what a steal..PS..anyone got any install pics if they have one of these?

PEte
Congrats Pete... Are you looking for pix for your install. If you are I will see if I can find some but I would be willing to send you PM on how to do it.

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
That would be great if you could....my biggest concern disconnecting the lower control arms...never done it before.Thanks in advance.
Pete

·
Registered
36 Posts
Easy install..just under an hour for me....It does help slide across anything tha might otherwise get hung up..Although i don;t think I hit it more than once last trip to Moab...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed a Skid Row engine skid and the driver side upper control arm hits on the bracket (when you hit a bump hard) that holds the front skid strut arm to the motor mount. It put a big dent in my control arm. I have a e-mail into Skid Row,waitting their response. i KNOW FOR SURE i installed it right. The motor mount has a radius to it that allow clearance for the control arm to swing into this radius area,but when you attach the "L" bracket, obstructing the radius clearance area of the motor mount and hit a bump you get a BANG and bent arm. :x

Dave

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
mebedave said:
I installed a Skid Row engine skid and the driver side upper control arm hits on the bracket (when you hit a bump hard) that holds the front skid strut arm to the motor mount. It put a big dent in my control arm. I have a e-mail into Skid Row,waitting their response. i KNOW FOR SURE i installed it right. The motor mount has a radius to it that allow clearance for the control arm to swing into this radius area,but when you attach the "L" bracket, obstructing the radius clearance area of the motor mount and hit a bump you get a BANG and bent arm. :x

Dave
that bites..
any chance you can post a pic of the damage areas..
thanks
mac

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
mebedave said:

Dave
Hmmmm. I don't recall PA_Rubicon mentioning this at all. I'm going to have to look at this closely when I install mine.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry no pictures,i don't know how to attach pictures with post yet :roll: I can insure you,that if you install the bracket to the motor mount where they tell you to (in existing holes) you will get the BANG too when you hit a bump hard. I've now looked at it closer. I think i may move the "L" bracket inward toward the engine to the very outer edge of the motor mount. i will have to drill my own holes of corse,but my first glance tells me I can make it work I will have to study it closer and do some test to prove this. if this works it will be even stronger than the way skid row has you install it,because it will lessen the angle on the skid strut arm. I will need to shorten the strut arm re-drill strut arm hole after i shorten it,this SHOULD move the bracket and the strut arm inward enough to clear the control arm when it is fully extended upwards.
I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm still waitting for Skid Row to get back to me !!

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm such the dumb ass !!! I was wrong and very embarrassed to admit it. But who knows maybe I helped a few that made or was about to make the same misake as i did. i did a copy and paste of the e'mails sent between Skid row and i, for you to read. i'm so flippen sorry I got alot of you running out to check your control arm for damage. :oops:

Eric.... Thank you for getting back to me. I'm very red in the face right now, because i did install the bracket backwards. i have the tab facing forward. it just seemed to me to be right way,and its very hard to see the picture in your instructions.I did try it the other way (right way)and it looked real funny the way the strut was angle backward and did not line up well to the lip of the pan,that just did not look right to me, that's why I had the tab facing forward. Maybe you could revise your instruction a little for STEP 4 maybe if you put in bold (FACE TAB ON MOUNTING PLATE FORWARD !!!!! OR YOU WILL HAVE A CLEARANCE PROBLEM) I still don't like the idea of having the mounting plate in the clearance zone of the control arm. Have you did some test on the shop Rubicon to prove the control arm will not hit even under FLEX and hitting a bump hard ? i will turn the plate around,but i think i will move the plate inward toward the motor to the very outer edge of the motor mount,drill two new holes and mount the plate away from the control arm clearance zone. What do you think about this idea.

Thanks Dave

>From: "Skid Plate Questions" <[email protected]>
>To: "David Keating" <[email protected]>
>Subject: RE: PROBLEM WITH YOUR SKID !!!
>Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:34:21 -0400
>
>Hi Dave,
>I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your skid plate
>installation. First off, you should know that your Rubicon's suspension and
>motor mounts are no different than any other TJ....and we know this because
>we have a stock Rubicon to design parts on and have been installing our
>skids on TJ's for years. Naturally, we have one of our skid plates installed
>on our Rubicon and there are no clearance issues. Yes, we've seen this
>problem before and it only happens when the mounting bracket is installed
>backwards. The tab on the bracket has to be installed to the rear of the
>vehicle as stated in the instructions. The strut rod will lean towards the
>rear of the vehicle also. This is to assure plenty of clearance for the
>control arm and differential. If it is not installed this way the strut rod
>ends up about 3" lower and interferes with the control arm. So,
>unfortunately, it's apparent that you installed the bracket and strut rod
>incorrectly.
>
>Most shops that install suspension lifts on TJ's end up throwing away stock
>control arms since there's virtually no market for them. I would imagine
>that you could easily get one from any offroad shop in your area. I would
>have been happy to send you one, but we don't have any since we just got rid
>of our scrap pile.
>
>Again, I'm sorry that you've had a problem and hope that you enjoy your skid
>plate once you get this straightened out.
>
>Eric Kootte
>Skid Row Automotive, Incorporated
>Skid plates and accessories for when the trail gets rough.
>717-582-4580/1-800-786-9249
>www.skidplates.com <http://www.skidplates.com>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: David Keating [mailto:[email protected]]
>Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 6:47 PM
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: PROBLEM WITH YOUR SKID !!!
>
>
>I installed a TJ2-ESP-6 engine pan skid on my Rubuicon(auto trans). Took it
>for a test drive,all was ok until I hit a speed bump "BANG" the driver side
>upper control arm smashed into your strut and mostly the strut "L" bracket.
>I bent my control arm. I installed it just like the instructions say to,in
>fact there's really no other way to mount the bracket and still have the
>strut line up to the bracket hole,so I'm sure I have it right. You guy's
>must know about this problem(maybe it's just with the Rubicon),why don't you
>tell your dealer's about it. I got the skid from JP Product in Riverside
>Calif. As soon as the Jeep cool's off I'm going to remove the strut and
>bracket,so it does not hit for now.
>The motor mount has a radius to it,this radius is there to allow clearance
>for the upper control arm to swing into this radius area(very little
>room!!). By installing your bracket and strut to the radius of the motor
>mount this clearance is no longer there and that's how I got the damaged
>control arm.