Rubicon Owners Forum banner

future mod list

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  seal66 
I just dont understand the spider 9's or Tera. You're looking at a minimum of $10-15k by the time they are fully built. That's just insane. We just picked up a cucv for a buddy for $1000. He has 4.56 gears and a Detroit in the rear. We welded the front carrier and swapped the drop. Meaning cut the tubes 2" from the center chunk and swapped sides. A little work, and not everyone wants a welded carrier. But the point is other than $300 for rear disk brakes, he has a set of tons for a grand. That leaves $9000+ dollars to run ori's, triple bypass shocks, v8, or any other mod. I will join the sheeple and tell you how nice they look, but you can do it for a fraction of that.

Best of luck bud

seal66 said:
The great thing is Spidertrax is local to me. I understand the cost that you are talking about. Yes they are expensive. But, for me I want to do it right. Ya It may not happen soon but It well happen. I thought of going D60 rear and doing a custom hp in the front. I priced it out, and I would have had what I wanted for under 2500. Of course I also look at what Tire size I want to run, and try to keep as much possible ground clearance of the D44 that is already in the jeep. most of the aftermarket companies built there housings to give better clearance than the stock counterpart.
Go with a shaved pig. The ballistic kit should be in any day. There's a pic on their thread where a guy shows 13" of clearance at the diff on 39" Krawlers. From what I have seen one of the biggest costs is shafts. We just did tons on a buddies Jeep. While not what you're looking for, just a for instance. He picked up a CUCV for a grand. He's keeping the 4.56's, so he's saving on regear. The rear comes with a detroit, so no locker. we cut the tubes and made it a driver drop, and welded the carrier. So he has tons for a grand. While not great for a DD, it doesnt get much cheaper than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.